PDA

View Full Version : Hey Piglet, could you make me one of these...?

Lazerbrainz2k3
September 28th, 2009, 17:54
http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs278.snc1/10522_168382785445_743310445_4181745_725656_n.jpgh ttp://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs258.snc1/10522_168352925445_743310445_4181258_3027263_n.jpg

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs258.snc1/10522_168358090445_743310445_4181342_6101470_n.jpg

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs278.snc1/10522_168357420445_743310445_4181331_6823953_n.jpg

Lazerbrainz2k3
September 28th, 2009, 18:15
...And the interior:

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs278.snc1/10522_168385170445_743310445_4181823_1603882_n.jpg

As for the specifications:

2010 Chevrolet Camaro 1LT

304 hp, 273 ft-lbs torque V6 (or to put it simply, enough to make V6 Mustang and Challenger drivers cry, and even make Mustang GT owners sweat!)
6-speed manual transmission, naturally - sure the 6-speed automatic is offered too, but this IS a pony car after all!
approx. 3700 lbs.
0-60 mph in 6 sec. (still breaking her in, so I haven't tried it myself nor will I anytime soon. Ditto for burnouts. Sorry.)
Up to 29 mpg (or as much as 32 mpg w/ cruise control set, so I hear) highway despite all that weight!
Styling inspired by the classic '69 Camaro, with a modern touch, sufficient to even earn a thumbs-up from a #$%@-ing Ferrari driver!
Sunroof option
USB package to hook up iPhone, use Bluetooth, access to iPhone controls through car radio, etc. Plus leather steering wheel & shifter. Very cool.
Color: Aqua Blue Metallic. Apparently it's the least-ordered color, wich is strange because I think she looks incredible, especially in the Sun. Whatever, different strokes....
I absolutely, positively love this car. Better than any flight simulator, even. And don't worry, Tim, you're off the hook - I think I'll be getting that new Need for Speed: Shift game which offers the 2010 Camaro SS.

djscoo
September 28th, 2009, 19:07
:icon_eek:

OBIO
September 28th, 2009, 21:52
Ah, but the Ford Taurus SHO has a twin turbo V-6 that is cranking out 365 horse power and get great gas mileage to boot. A family sedan whoopin on GM's big ticket "muscle" car. It hurts me to say that, since I am a life long GM guy.

Not impressed at all with the "Camaro".

OBIO

Willy
September 28th, 2009, 21:55
I like it!

Quixoticish
September 29th, 2009, 00:13
Ohhh, I want one so much. Will they be doing any right hand drive ones for the UK market at all?

JoeW
September 29th, 2009, 01:17
"There ain't no substitute for cubic inches." I don't know how many times I have said that over the years.

Toastmaker
September 29th, 2009, 01:46
Nice choice of color, Lazer. I was wondering when you would take delivery! Enjoy and stay safe -

:applause:

cheezyflier
September 29th, 2009, 06:51
gm is weird. they had a far better car and they killed it to make the current camaro? that car still couldn't beat this one, which is already 8 years old:

http://image.highperformancepontiac.com/f/8854586/hppp_0704_01_z+2000_pontiac_firebird_trans_am_WS6+ side.jpg

Bjoern
September 29th, 2009, 08:24
This thing looks like a brick with wheels and a roof. What the heck were Chevrolet's designers taking?

djscoo
September 29th, 2009, 08:34
This thing looks like a brick with wheels and a roof. What the heck were Chevrolet's designers taking?
It's "retro" styling ala the new mustang and challenger...

Bjoern
September 29th, 2009, 08:51
It's "retro" styling ala the new mustang and challenger...

Well it more or less worked for the 'stang and a wee bit for the Challenger, but the Camaro...no way...

Wittpilot
September 29th, 2009, 10:57
I always thought it would be neat if they went back to the original classic look...not just modernize a classic design... I mean build it to the real specs, at least in regards to the exterior, of the originals.... new modern interior... old exterior, much like people do now with car restorations.... but build 'em from the factory like that..... I thought that'd be a neat idea, ever since I saw a car show and liked the way all the late 30's early 40's Fords and the like looked...

-witt

cheezyflier
September 29th, 2009, 13:11
I always thought it would be neat if they went back to the original classic look...not just modernize a classic design... I mean build it to the real specs, at least in regards to the exterior, of the originals.... new modern interior... old exterior, much like people do now with car restorations.... but build 'em from the factory like that..... I thought that'd be a neat idea, ever since I saw a car show and liked the way all the late 30's early 40's Fords and the like looked...

-witt

when i had my 68 stang i used to subscribe to a couple of enthusiast magazines. back in the early 90's it was popular to take some of the plain jane coupes and other less valueable cars and put modern drive trains and systems in them. i saw lots of people building stangs that had modern v-8 with efi, anti-lock brakes, independant rear suspensions, electronic overdrive trannies, etc.

djscoo
September 29th, 2009, 15:02
A friend of the family recently "upgraded" his '08 Mustang to a Shelby "Super Snake". He sent it off to Vegas and had it completely overhauled and it puts out 800HP (on a good day) with 8mpg. The dashboard is signed, and has a cream paint job with light blue racing stripes. I'd have to say it's the first time I've ever looked at a "modern Mustang" (anything after the '79 abominations) and really liked what I saw. I think Ford did good with their recent redesign, especially the "Glass Top" 2010's.

d0mokun
September 29th, 2009, 15:51
Ah don't listen to the non-believers- it looks great. Bet it sounds nice too. When you're looking to have a car like that, fuel economy comes second to most things it'd seem.

I'm envious of your centre pedestal arm rest. Mein auto has one on the passengers side- a woe of having a RHD car.

When I was in NZ, a chap in the same apartment block had an absolutely mint '67 Fastback GT. Now that's a car and a half.

Piglet
September 29th, 2009, 19:21
I already built a Chevy. My LRDG Chevy 1533 truck.
Let Lionheart do it, right up his alley!:ernae:

Willy
September 29th, 2009, 20:09
And a very nice truck it is too! It's my #1 ground vehicle in FS.

TARPSBird
September 29th, 2009, 20:43
That's a good-looking ride.
My '74 LT was Aqua Blue Metallic but I think the shade was darker than your car. I gotta stop by one of the local Chevy dealers and scope out this new Camaro, at least to sniff that "new car smell" which I haven't smelled in years. :icon_lol:

Railrunner130
September 30th, 2009, 05:04
I've got to say, I'm not a fan. It looks like a copy of the new Mustang that they reworked slightly to try to make it not look like a Mustang. I wish GM had kept Pontiac and beefed up either the G6 or G8 into a muscle car.

cheezyflier
September 30th, 2009, 07:20
I wish GM had kept Pontiac and beefed up either the G6 or G8 into a muscle car.

like they did with the lemans into the gto, back in the day.

Ferry_vO
September 30th, 2009, 11:48
No Camaro yet, but I do have a Challenger and a Mustang.. :engel016:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/GTR2/Shelby_GT6.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/GTR2/Challenger_cup40.jpg

Lazerbrainz2k3
September 30th, 2009, 14:47
gm is weird. they had a far better car and they killed it to make the current camaro? that car still couldn't beat this one, which is already 8 years old:

http://image.highperformancepontiac.com/f/8854586/hppp_0704_01_z+2000_pontiac_firebird_trans_am_WS6+ side.jpg

First off, again, I "only" have the V6. Despite that V6 having better horsepower than all but the highest-performance '02 Firebird V8s (the current SS has over 120 hp more than my V6, incidentally), it is still a six cylinder. So the comparable Firebirds could beat out my V6 Camaro (barely, in most cases), while the higest performance naturally-aspirating ones would lose to the current SS. The ram-air version can beat an SS, but that's hardly a fair comparison and just to make sure, there's supposed to be a new Z/28 in development with enough stock torque and horsepower to take on the Ford GT500, to say nothing of the Firebirds.

Second, the Camaro didn't kill the Firebird - depending on how you look at it, either the Pontiac GTO killed it off (by replacing it - eight years ago, as you pointed out, the same time the 4th gen Camaro went away) or Pontiac's recent discontinuation did (which had nothing to do with the new Camaro, already designed and entering production months before Pontiac's closure was announced).

Furthermore, since the Firebird has long been closely related to the Camaro anyway (especially in the case of that 4th gen you've shown, the major difference was always in the body panels bolted to the F-body chassis. Compare the performance and styling of an '02 SS to an '02 Trans-Am and you'll see), you can claim the Firebird is still here. To help you with that idea, there's even an aftermarket company out there planning to do "Firebird" conversions to the Camaro (as usual, just a difference of body panels).

My apologies at getting bent out of shape, but this is my new rocketship, after all. Can't allow any insults to her awesomeness go! :icon_lol:

Lazerbrainz2k3
September 30th, 2009, 15:31
To further silence the evil critics:

OBIO: to the best of my knowledge, the Taurus SHO is the highest-performance trim level in their selection, and uses forced-induction to boot. Okay, well and good, but my Camaro isn't the highest-performance Camaro available. Even without putting a twin turbo in the SS's 426 hp, 420 ft-lb torque engine, and you'd leave the SHO in the dust while still saving a couple thousand dollars. Put the turbo in there, and... oh, excuse me, I just drooled all over the keyboard. Haha

Bjoern, I've already met three people who've owned the original generation, '67-'69 Camaros, and all three have gushed over how amazing the new ones look & how much mine reminds them of their old ones. I even got a thumbs-up from a Ferrari driver a couple days ago. So there. ;)

AckAck
September 30th, 2009, 15:43
I don't know if they would turbo the Z-28, but gen4 had a nice aftermarket supercharger setup available....

Plus, there is the supercharged V-8 from the Corvette ZR1 they could drop in...

On the otherhand, they did drop the Buick turbo V-6 into the Firebird (gen3). That was nice too...

Brian

Lazerbrainz2k3
September 30th, 2009, 17:32
From what I've read, it seems like Chevy is aiming to create a GT500-killer with something like 560 hp, so some sort of forced induction would certainly help quite a bit. But you're right, the aftermarket is alive for this car.

People are even putting turbos on the V6, which seems ridiculous until you consider that in the last couple years the Ford Mustang GT went from 300 hp to 315 hp almost solely due to the addition of a performance cold air intake. With a V6 coming that close to the performance of the latest V8 version of the original pony car, the Camaro forums are abuzz figuring out how to equal the performance of the Mustang GT. Weight you can't do much about (and the Camaro has much more than the Mustang, though I can tell you it feels pretty nimble on the road), and a CAI won't close the 25 ft-lb difference between the two by more than a couple foot-pounds despite strong suspicions that the V6's LLT engine has a LOT more to offer but was electronically detuned by Chevy to meet fuel economy standards, but it is still temptingly close, enough that a decent FI system could put you over the Mustang GT while still saving money over actually buying one - and looking better all throughout, lol. Even I, a pretty practical guy (...for a Camaro owner... ;) ) have been considering at least a CAI for my V6. I guess I'm turning into an amateur gearhead...

cheezyflier
September 30th, 2009, 18:57
i wasn't saying that the camaro killed the firebird. gm did that by creating a car that was bloated and overpriced. (unless you bought the full-boogie ws6 like i posted) even if you did buy the ws6 it was fast, but for the $$ it wasn't the best "bang for your buck" even if you only considered american cars. i posted it because i think the ws6 is still the most awesome non-corvette american sportscar ever made. even though it was over priced.
sure the buick grand national was cool, but it was a muscle car, not a sports car.

the firebird and the camaro were always (as far as i understood them) meant to be like cousins. one fast, yet somewhat basic, the other fast, yet a little more luxury and refinement. i didn't realize you were saying that was your car you posted. i wouldn't kick it outta bed for eatin crackers, if you know what i mean. just not my personal fav. congrats :applause:

Prowler1111
September 30th, 2009, 19:31
Just be sure to treat it well..or the robot inside of it will transform and beat you to death...lol

Prowler

Bjoern
October 1st, 2009, 10:07
Bjoern, I've already met three people who've owned the original generation, '67-'69 Camaros, and all three have gushed over how amazing the new ones look & how much mine reminds them of their old ones. I even got a thumbs-up from a Ferrari driver a couple days ago. So there. ;)

Well, whatever makes you happy. :d

Just told what *I* think about this car. ;)