PDA

View Full Version : Correcting default scenery

falcon409
September 28th, 2009, 06:41
I've deleted the original post. I found a workaround and no longer need an answer.

NoNewMessages
September 29th, 2009, 16:28
Just in case you were wondering how to change an airport's elevation...

Copy this into Notepad and make any adjustments to the file as needed. Save as (ICAO code)_alt_chg.XML and then copy and paste onto BGLComp.exe to get a new BGL file. Place that BGL file into the \Scenery\World\scenery folder and now you can make a revised AFCAD-type file with the altitude changed and have it display properly. Of course, you need to change the AB flatten to match the revised airport elevation.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<FSData
version="9.0"
xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="bglcomp.xsd">
<Airport
country="Canada"
state="British Columbia"
city="Revelstoke"
name="Revelstoke"
lat="50.966666825"
lon="-118.183333129"
alt="1460.0F"
magvar="-20"
ident="CYRV"
>
</Airport>
</FSData>

NoNewMessages
September 30th, 2009, 21:50
Just in case you were wondering how to change an airport's elevation...

Orrrrrrrr, you can see if there are any updates for AFX that would handle the elevation changes for you. :applause:

CG_1976
October 1st, 2009, 19:34
Ah doesnt ADEX handle Airport Elevation? Ive changed a few with ADE's earlier versions.

NoNewMessages
October 1st, 2009, 22:07
Yes. And AFX now does the same.

falcon409
October 3rd, 2009, 10:33
Yes. And AFX now does the same.
I've tried doing elevation changes for the rwy in AFX, but they are ignored. I can set the flatten to a specific elevation, go into AFX and change both the rwy and airport elevations to match, save and restart FSX and the rwy will still be floating at it's original elevation, so AFX gives the appearance of making those changes, but it actually does nothing.

FS still looks at the first instance of that airport and reads that information on startup, so while other changes to the AFCAD are made on startup the elevation will not. I would have to use the xml suggestion you gave for it to work correctly. Thanks.

NoNewMessages
October 3rd, 2009, 12:34
Do you have the 1.08 update to AFX? Use the in-product check for updates to see if it flags the updated file.

falcon409
October 4th, 2009, 07:30
Do you have the 1.08 update to AFX? Use the in-product check for updates to see if it flags the updated file.
Yep, that's the version I'm using, and nope, it has no effect on elevations.

NoNewMessages
October 4th, 2009, 07:48
I must be doing something wrong? I opened up my local Muni airport, selected File | Properties, changed the elevation from 818' to 780', hit OK and a dialog popped up and asked if I wanted to change all elevations? I said Yeah, I think I do. Saved the file and when I look in the \Scenery\World\scenery folder is a little stub file named.....AFX_KRAL_ALT.BGL. :applause:

Check pages 14 and 15 of the updated UM.