PDA

View Full Version : FSX G1000 with SVT

Wombat_VC
September 28th, 2009, 06:39
Guess the aircraft that sports the SVT Garmin.

ryanbatc
September 28th, 2009, 06:55
hmmm, although basic, it looks pretty good! Don't know which one

Lionheart
September 28th, 2009, 06:58
This looks like the Feel There VTOL plane, the name escapes me. I do not think its a true SVT though, only appears like one.

I have been trying to figure out how one could do this. There 'must' be a way....

Bill

Wombat_VC
September 28th, 2009, 06:59
Ha ha! Gotcha. It's not real SVT. I believe the developer just added 2 tiny peaks to the horizon, regardless of what is actually in front. The PFD comes from Wilco's Tiltrotor. I guess it's a start.

Wombat_VC
September 28th, 2009, 07:06
This looks like the Feel There VTOL plane, the name escapes me. I do not think its a true SVT though, only appears like one.

I have been trying to figure out how one could do this. There 'must' be a way....

Bill

The terrain mesh info is there, maybe we just need to map that info onto a plane (as in surface, not aircraft) in 3D space, much like bmp mapping.

Lionheart
September 28th, 2009, 07:38
The terrain mesh info is there, maybe we just need to map that info onto a plane (as in surface, not aircraft) in 3D space, much like bmp mapping.

I wish it was that easy.

In FS, the GPS is rendered from a map or 'the' FS map. It can be shown in day view and night view (blacked out, easier to render as its only 2 colors instead of tons of shading and full colors).

Getting the map to show from 90 degrees forward is the trick. Also, I do not know if you can show actual 3D elements in a map view. I 'think' its only top down view only. If you could change the angle of view, you would have SVT.

My thoughts were to show the Periscope gauge (from the Spirit of St. Louis), but have the view window of the terrain somehow 'changed', such as only render so many colors, and have that as the background on the PFD screen.

Whats cool is the new 'Night View' system might also be able to be used in such a gauge system.

Bill

Wombat_VC
September 28th, 2009, 08:09
Looks like the SVT will be a prized achievement in FS.

By the way, here is the Tiltrotor. Such breathtaking sunset.

sim-paticissimo
September 28th, 2009, 10:04
Wombat wich version do you have of it? Mine is 1.4, but the slip/skid indicator is reversed: if I turn right, it turns left...
And in MFD and PFD the swaps standby buttons com and nav are coupled with com1-com2 switch and nav1-nav2 instead stanby-active frequencies. The swap com1-com2 button doesn't work: it changes the decimals, and the switch button .In VC I am not able at all to decrement/increment the com and
nav freq. I can only increment and decrement the decimals... Also in VC the range button change the track not the range...
Do you have any of these issues?:icon29:

Bjoern
September 28th, 2009, 12:54
If you could change the angle of view, you would have SVT.

Well, you could also program a gauge that reads out mesh details from the aircraft's surroundings and displays them with 2D elements in the gauge window.

However, just like any other effort to produce an accurate SVT, this would induce one hell of a performance hit.

So I guess that, unlike slide shows become trendy again, we won't see a usable SVT in FSX.

Wombat_VC
September 28th, 2009, 17:54
Wombat wich version do you have of it? Mine is 1.4, but the slip/skid indicator is reversed: if I turn right, it turns left...
And in MFD and PFD the swaps standby buttons com and nav are coupled with com1-com2 switch and nav1-nav2 instead stanby-active frequencies. The swap com1-com2 button doesn't work: it changes the decimals, and the switch button .In VC I am not able at all to decrement/increment the com and
nav freq. I can only increment and decrement the decimals... Also in VC the range button change the track not the range...
Do you have any of these issues?:icon29:

Mine is 1.4. To be honest, I have not flown enough of it to tell if I have the same problems. I will look into it and get back to you later. :confused:

Wombat_VC
September 28th, 2009, 18:06
Well, you could also program a gauge that reads out mesh details from the aircraft's surroundings and displays them with 2D elements in the gauge window.

However, just like any other effort to produce an accurate SVT, this would induce one hell of a performance hit.

So I guess that, unlike slide shows become trendy again, we won't see a usable SVT in FSX.

Maybe it will be OK if the gauge is run on a separate PC via FSUIPC + Wide FS. For hardcore simmers only.

Wombat_VC
September 29th, 2009, 21:59
... the slip/skid indicator is reversed: if I turn right, it turns left...

It is indeed behaving as you have described. Rightly or wrongly, the gauge designer had made the pitch scale to stay roll level with the horizon rather than the aircraft. I don't think it's a bug, but it would take a real pilot (not me) to know if such design is acceptable.

... And in MFD and PFD the swaps standby buttons com and nav are coupled with com1-com2 switch and nav1-nav2 instead stanby-active frequencies. ...

Again, I observe the same "problem". Maybe the designer intended "swap" as switching between COM1/NAV1 and COM2/NAV2. The stand-by-to-active swap switches on the center console work as intended, but not the ones on the PFD/MFD.

... The swap com1-com2 button doesn't work: it changes the decimals, and the switch button .In VC I am not able at all to decrement/increment the com and nav freq. I can only increment and decrement the decimals... Also in VC the range button change the track not the range...

I have no issues with these. They seem to work as intended.