PDA

View Full Version : 'The Wizard Of Oz' Is On The Tele...

Panther_99FS
September 27th, 2009, 17:44
Released in 1939, it was a landmark film using Technicolor....

(& also, a GREAT family classic) :applause:

lifejogger
September 27th, 2009, 18:53
It was annual tradition in my family while I was growing up to have the whole family watch it together. I guess they don't show it every year like they use to.

Cerberus
September 27th, 2009, 19:09
Odd how 60+ year old movies are still amazing. I've been disappointed in Hollywood these days. When they run out of classic books and comics I wonder what they will do lol. I guess more video game movies.

Kiwikat
September 27th, 2009, 20:31
'The Wizard Of Oz' Is On The Tele...

Wake me up when its over. I absolutely despise that movie...:barf::toilet:

stiz
September 27th, 2009, 22:50
well i still like it ... follow the yellow brick road, follow the yellow brick road, follow follow follow follow follow the yellow brick road ... :bump:

Naismith
September 27th, 2009, 23:03
Isn't there a rock record that you are supposed to play at the same time, something like Pink Floyd's Dark side of the moon or some such.

As an aside Oz is the first movie I ever saw as a kid, and at the Drive-In, remember them you oldies?

kilo delta
September 28th, 2009, 02:39
Isn't there a rock record that you are supposed to play at the same time, something like Pink Floyd's Dark side of the moon or some such.

As an aside Oz is the first movie I ever saw as a kid, and at the Drive-In, remember them you oldies?

Yep...search out Dark Side of Oz. It breathes new life into the movie!:monkies:

Edit... Here it is.. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-76123313707631450#

hey_moe
September 28th, 2009, 03:02
As a kid I have enjoyed watching it. The movie was a stepping stone for special effects when it came out. It was also one of the first movies to go to color.For a movie that was made decades ago it still is watched and enjoyed by many...Mike

Panther_99FS
September 28th, 2009, 03:52
Wake me up when its over. I absolutely despise that movie...:barf::toilet:

Looks like you're the only one that feels this way so far....:engel016:

Kiwikat
September 28th, 2009, 05:10
Looks like you're the only one that feels this way so far....:engel016:

How is that different from any other time? I am glad that you guys put up with me though. :icon29: :icon_lol:

It is a shame they tainted such good music with such a terrible movie... (dark side of oz)

brad kaste
September 28th, 2009, 05:50
....I still find the oncoming tornado one of the most visually graphic moments in cinema history. Raises my blood pressure every time. Quick,........to the storm cellar!!!

Cactuskid
September 28th, 2009, 08:32
What a classic! :applause: I still have an old LaserDisc copy of Oz that has the "lost" Jitterbug Dance sequence with Buddy Ebsen (who was the original Tin Man). The sequence was cut from the theatrical release, and the only thing left was an 8mm home movie shot by a stage hand from behind the scenery. It also has Ray Bolger's Scarecrow Dance sequence that was cut from the film. Pretty interesting stuff... I still think Margaret Hamilton stole the show in this flick! :icon_lol:

dogknot
September 28th, 2009, 10:33
Scared the tar out of me when I was a little, little kid. You might think the trees that grab you or the flying monkeys would do that, but no, it was when the bucket of water was tossed on the wicked witch and she melted. The horror of it all. LOL!

brad kaste
September 28th, 2009, 11:46
Margaret Hamilton,....who played the Wicked Witch of the West,....reminded me of a few the teachers I had when I was a wee one. Especially the scene where she's Miss Gultch (?) biking on down the road to the farmhouse to pick up Toto for snapping at her. One can hear the 'menacing' music being played in the background while she peddled along in grim determination.
Actually,....Margaret Hamilton was a teacher for some years before she turned to acting. Wonderful actress.

Marvin Carter
September 28th, 2009, 12:18
The most Famous song every,"Some where over thr Rainbow". Still gives me goose dumps when I hear it!!!

kilo delta
September 28th, 2009, 15:12
The most Famous song every,"Some where over thr Rainbow". Still gives me goose dumps when I hear it!!!

Whilst the original is fantastic...........I prefer Eva Cassidy's version.

Rami
September 28th, 2009, 16:13
The movie, though wonderful, is a very glossed-over representation loosely based on the original book, which was written by L. Frank Baum as political satire, essentially a warning against the Populist movement of the 1890s headed by William Jennings Bryan. (who is represented by the 'Cowardly Lion, according to this theory) The more research I've done on my own, the more I've come to believe this theory to be quite correct.

Here's a short synopsis: http://www.halcyon.com/piglet/Populism.htm

I do love the movie though, and plan on showing it to my children. It's an enduring classic.

Marvin Carter
September 28th, 2009, 17:04
Israel Kamakawiwo'ole is my favoraite, just plain cool!!!