PDA

View Full Version : Failure to initialize = again

oldwheat
September 27th, 2009, 09:20
I'm having a new glitch with the 'failure to / quick combat' pop-ups. Apparently it is caused by the SHIPS folder ( nothing new here) but the real conundrum is that I can only get rid of it by completely emptying the folder. The same problem exists on all of my installs at present. I have them installed using the several installs to one folder method. Do you suppose that the problem could be linked to this?

Rami
September 27th, 2009, 09:25
Oldwheat,

The way to get rid of an error is to do the following (This is for Windows XP, Vista should be similar)

1) Go to "search" and delete all of the "filelist" files for CFS2. (Highlight the main folder and search there, that way you don't run the risk of deleting anything else.)

2) Run another search, this time scanning for .cdp files. Delete all of them, too.

3) Replace your quick combat file with a backup.

You're good to go.

This can also be a consequence of adding some add-on library objects, as well as the planes and ships. You can use a process of elimination to find the source, but the way to solve the immediate problem is to follow the steps I outlined above.

trasno
September 27th, 2009, 13:15
I got the following error: none of my stock ships shows up. Unable to load xxx model and blah, blah. Any idea?

Trasno

oldwheat
September 27th, 2009, 13:19
Rami: That was the first thing that I tried. It worked for some theaters & not for others. I'm still thinking that it is a glitch of my multi theater installs. They sometimes give me problems in other areas also.

bearcat241
September 27th, 2009, 14:46
For every install in a multi theater setup, each should also have its own exclusive mdlnames.txt, callsign.dat and descript.dat. In the mdlnames and descript files, you should have the names of every addon inf object, weapon and ship, following the same formats as already present in these files for existing items. The callsign file should also have the callsign names and sim coding of every ship addon, each in its proper classification.

Following these procedures religiously with every addon inf object, weapon and ship will go a long way to preventing this error message in FF and QC. This also has its benefits in MB loading. Whenever the sim is loading any of these three (FF, QC or MB), it cross-checks the entries in the mdlnames, descript and callsign files with the contents of the AIRCRAFT, SHIPS, SCENEDB\WEAPONS, SCENEDB\INF, SCENEDB\VEH and OBJECT_DP folders. With the exception of addon aircraft, everything else has to be properly represented in the mdlnames.txt, callsign.dat and descript.dat, just like in the beginning when your sim was box stock.