PDA

View Full Version : White Cliffs of Dover

PJMack
September 27th, 2009, 00:14
How does one stop the cliffs from flying in the air?:bump:

blohmundvoss
September 27th, 2009, 02:17
I'm guessing that you're referring to Martin Wright's White Cliffs add-on?

If you are Sander de Coq (SdC) created a flatten switch that works with Martin's files to solve the problem. I'm not sure where you can get a copy now but if you PM me with your email address I'll send you a copy

Cheers
BuV

Helldiver
September 27th, 2009, 03:35
That P-40 pilot better learn how to lean out his engine. From the smoke coming out of it he'll be fouling plugs up very soon.

PJMack
September 27th, 2009, 03:53
Helldiver,

I am using a biofule mixture...:173go1:

gedm
September 27th, 2009, 09:59
Here are some postings on the subject from Kelti and Ec_ILO some time ago.....

There is the Martin Wright Dover scenery at his site.
Kelti posted a flatten fix:

MWright's Cliffs of Dover flatten
Hi everybody!
I just recalled I offered several times to post my method of fixing a problem generated by enhanced mesh with Martin Wright's Cliffs of Dover scenery, but I never did it.
DUH!
All I did is a very limited flatten switch, added to my scenery.cfg file that "flattens" the mesh so that the Cliffs do not sit on top of it but lay in the Channel waters, as they should.
Enhanced mesh raises the land scenery, therefore the Cliffs look like they are hanging in the air.
Here are my Euro scenery.cfg entries for Gary Burn's GSL Battle of Britain scenery, which include MWright's Cliffs of Dover:
[Area.0xx]
Title=Burn's Battle of Britain Airfields
Local=..\CFS2_Scenery\EUROPEAN_WF\CFS2BoB
Active=TRUE
Layer=xx
Required=FALSE
Remote=
; Cliffs of Dover flatten
Flatten.0=0, N51 7.65, E1 19.76, N51 9.14, E1 22.43, N51 11.28, E1 24.00, N51 7.65, E1 24.37
; Town of Dover flatten
Flatten.1=0, N51 6.13, E1 16.83, N51 7.40, E1 15.75, N51 8.13, E1 19.23, N51 6.96, E1 20.48
; Hawkinge
Flatten.2=146, N51 12.36, E1 17.62, N51 14.22, E1 16.60, N51 15.71, E1 19.40, N51 13.38, E1 22.00
The mesh I use for England is Gary20's enh mesh, I felt the need to flatten also the town of Dover area, by the side of the Cliffs, and around Hawkinge. You might pick and choose what you want.
I also have installed SdC's Euro coastlines and related coastal water flattens, which don't go back inland far enough to keep the Cliffs scenery down.
The attached screen is the resulting scenery, with Hawkinge visible on the upper left.
Cheers!
KH

This is what I am using and works beautyfully.
If you are using the SCD testures, you want to use at Dover his mark_2.bmp intended to merge with his lanclass textures-
Regards,
EC_ILO

G :ernae:

oldwheat
September 27th, 2009, 13:15
How do you suppose that this would work with Rhumbaflappy's LODs & waterclass?

Devildog73
September 27th, 2009, 16:07
Do rhumba's include England and Europe?

Rami
September 27th, 2009, 16:39
Devildog,

Yes, and with Sander's scenery laid on top, it overrides Rhumbaflappy through most of Europe, except for most of Poland, Finland, Russia, and from just south of Tunis, Tunisia, south and east down the Libyan coast, Egypt, Palestine, Cyprus, Turkey, Greece, and much of Albania and Yugoslavia.

Devildog73
September 28th, 2009, 13:37
Also, I just flew some freeflights forth and back over the channel by Dover and my cliffs are just fine, right down to the water's edge like they should be, along with the harbor and ships and balloons.

Canion
September 28th, 2009, 15:35
Here you can find Dover cliffs adjusted
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=19367

Devildog73
May 19th, 2020, 16:51
RJ,

Is it possible to take a scenery like the Cliffs of Dover and turn them around and move them to the other side of the Channel?

The reason I ask is finding a way to have Normandy actually look like Normandy for the Battle for Europe and other Northern France missions on the coast.

The current offerings for Normandy leave much to be desired.

Thanks,
DD73

Sarg Willy
May 19th, 2020, 19:01
I,m sure your request is do able , with all the different mesh,s inplay , I managed to move the cliff,s of Dover inland , and rotated them a wee bit to suit Garrys mesh and shore line , a more eroded back view point , that I liked better , than sheer cliff,s over the water , Mind you I,m an amirture at that sort of thing , and it took several try,s to get it where I wanted , I used Bgl analize to decompile it , and a lot of trial and error ,

kdriver
May 20th, 2020, 00:57
Hi Lee,

WhiteCliffs.BGL is a GSL object which can be rotated and placed anywhere you like in Mission Builder. The cliff face textures could be changed if you wish. If you wanted less steep cliffs, they could be eroded using Gmax.

Being a GSL object, you can fly through it and you can't place other objects on top of it.

Cheers,

Kevin

Shessi
May 20th, 2020, 01:05
''......move the cliff,s of Dover inland , and rotated them a wee bit''....WHAT! :violent-smiley-031:

I think I'll move Mount Rushmore to California, better weather and near the sea....so there.....:victorious:....he he he...

Cheers

Shessi

Sarg Willy
May 21st, 2020, 19:33
Hey Shessi , this is Canada , we got polar bears and Glaciers going over the falls , and a 12 volt generator run by 2 beavers , I,m a little behind the rest of the world , and I moved Brighton to Nova Scotia ,:very_drunk:

Shessi
May 22nd, 2020, 03:51
Hi SW,
Apologies for that, ok then I'm moving the CN Tower to NS, to be next the sea.....

And shouldn't that be New Brighton.....ha ha.

BTW I've just had a good look over NS and I'm amazed at all the very familliar place names!

Cheers

Shessi

kdriver
May 22nd, 2020, 10:42
Especially Sydney.

Rami
May 22nd, 2020, 11:35
Kevin and Mark,

Take a look at Massachusetts sometime. As Eddie Izzard said...”they set off from Plymouth and landed in Plymouth. How lucky is that?” :costumed-smiley-034

Murray
August 19th, 2022, 20:28
As usual I gotta be doing something wrong, Im attempting to compete an install including all of Europe , so far so good in the main , Rhumbaflappy etc installed, JHS files for northern Europe and the UK installed, Rami's Ports for Europe installed (with required supporting files) and here where the issue comes , as part of the requirements for the latter the objects for CFS2_BOB_Manual_Install_2.0 are required but the scenery isn't, however I would like the Cliffs and radar stations in the scenery, Ive taken the files DOVER_WHITECLIFFS.BGL and poly001.bmp and put them in their respective places in the inf folder and the WHITECLIFFS.BGL and put it in the Scenery folder folder. Everything show as it should with the exception that the tops of the cliffs are white. I know the original one from the early 2000s had a mark_2.bmp, but this version does not ( and it makes no difference if I use it in the new version ). Does anyone have an idea what I'm missing?

kdriver
August 20th, 2022, 08:16
Hi Murray,

Have you installed the Sander de Cocq EurW scenery package? It contains textures more suitable for Europe. Whether you have or not, the ground textures need to be either copied or moved to the main TEXTURE folder.

I use both the Dover_WhiteCliffs.bgl scenery file and the Whitecliffs.bgl which is a library object file and therefore is installed in the SCENEDB/inf/scenery folder. It calls for not only mark_2.bmp, but also 010b2su5.bmp which is the ground texture for the cliff tops. I don't have the poly001.bmp. Where did you get that one from?

I've combined your post with earlier threads which have more information on the subject.

Cheers,
Kevin

Murray
August 20th, 2022, 15:27
Hi Murray,

Have you installed the Sander de Cocq EurW scenery package? It contains textures more suitable for Europe. Whether you have or not, the ground textures need to be either copied or moved to the main TEXTURE folder.

I use both the Dover_WhiteCliffs.bgl scenery file and the Whitecliffs.bgl which is a library object file and therefore is installed in the SCENEDB/inf/scenery folder. It calls for not only mark_2.bmp, but also 010b2su5.bmp which is the ground texture for the cliff tops. I don't have the poly001.bmp. Where did you get that one from?

I've combined your post with earlier threads which have more information on the subject.

Cheers,
Kevin

Hi Kevin

Thanks for your response, nothing was working until I messaged you back and re-read your missive. The Whitecliffs.bgl in the download was in a separate scenery file which I misinterpreted to being the main scenery file, , now changed to the inf scenery file and problem solved. Thanks
Regards

Murray

aussie
August 20th, 2022, 19:37
Being a GSL object, you can fly through it and you can't place other objects on top of it.

Cheers,

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Give it a dp and you won't be able to fly through it.

Cheers
Aussie :a1089: back to gauge programming I go

Murray
August 20th, 2022, 20:34
Hi Kevin,

Give it a dp and you won't be able to fly through it.

Cheers
Aussie :a1089: back to gauge programming I go

OK OK, sounds good , can this be done and how?

Regards

Murray
Novice
Ruina et URI

aussie
August 20th, 2022, 21:25
Hi Murray,

You can use DPed to design the DP and ModelConverterX to extract the bgl so you can get the dimensions in gmax or fsds.

Cheers
Aussie

aussie
August 20th, 2022, 21:36
PJMack et al,

Here's a couple of tease screens

Cheers
Aussie

kdriver
August 21st, 2022, 07:54
Hi Kevin

Thanks for your response, nothing was working until I messaged you back and re-read your missive. The Whitecliffs.bgl in the download was in a separate scenery file which I misinterpreted to being the main scenery file, , now changed to the inf scenery file and problem solved. Thanks
Regards

Murray

Yes Murray, the Gary Burns BoB object package has the Whitecliffs.bgl in the main SCENERY folder.

I tried to modify the mark_2.bmp to make the cliffs look white rather than grey, but, not being much of an artist, wasn't successful.

kdriver
August 22nd, 2022, 07:07
Aussie has kindly redone the mark_2.bmp to make a much more realistic rendition of the White Cliffs - thanks very much Aussie!

Worthless
August 22nd, 2022, 11:04
PJMack et al,

Here's a couple of tease screens

Cheers
Aussie

Excellant! Really nice panels. Best I've scene in a long time. In fact I don't think I've scene anything as good. Oh, maybe once. But, like I said it's been a long time.

aussie
August 22nd, 2022, 16:19
Excellant! Really nice panels. Best I've scene in a long time. In fact I don't think I've scene anything as good. Oh, maybe once. But, like I said it's been a long time.

Hi Worthless,

Thanks mate, I really appreciate the comment.

Cheers
Aussie

Murray
August 22nd, 2022, 20:26
Sorry been looking further into Europe, now back to UK, thanks for the new bgl, the photo looks great, now to install. In regard to the dp, thanks for the instruction on the "solidness" of the hills, Ill save that for when I have time to play around with programs Ive never used, the farthest Ive got into background is changing the loadouts on a corsair , very basic stuff!

Regards

Murray

kdriver
August 22nd, 2022, 23:49
The White Cliffs are presently installed as API scenery rather than GSL. If changed to GSL, the nearby GSL scenery such as the port of Dover would be affected.

If a DP is provided the cliffs might be useful GSL scenery at other locations as Devildog mentioned.