PDA

View Full Version : Crimson Skies

Willy
September 27th, 2009, 00:12
Anyone remember that old MS game Crimson Skies and has anyone tried it with XP? I recently found my old disc and thinking of giving it a go again.

grunau_baby
September 27th, 2009, 00:33
I only had the demo once and ever since dreamed about a new version with up to date graphics. Seems they released it for some gaming box, but unfortunately never for PC.

Alex

gigabyte
September 27th, 2009, 03:45
Willy, I have used it on XP and Vista (in XP compatibility Mode), I must dig out the CD and fire it up again myself, it has been awhile. If I recall correctly the only issue I ever ran into with this game was wide screen support, and I am not sure now if I resolved it or used my old 19" monitor rather than the 25" wide screen?

smilo
September 27th, 2009, 06:56
about a year ago, I found a pristine copy,
in the box with all documents, at Goodwill for $2.99.
I ran it on my XP unit, no problems.
although, I haven't tried it with my 48"....yet.
that might be a hoot.

Lionheart
September 27th, 2009, 10:47
Willy,

The later version of it plays fine on XP. The earliest series doesnt as it needs MS Dos (if I am correct).

There is a software program you can purchase that lets you play all those old games. It creates a fake DOS system that they can run on.

It might be cheaper though to go with the $9.99 new CD of the game though.

Bill

Panther_99FS
September 27th, 2009, 10:57
LoL I had a blast playing that online! :mixedsmi:

Silver Fox
September 27th, 2009, 13:08
When you get back on the ground, tell 'em Nathan Zachary sent you! :)

I remember the pain of writing a preview and then having to wait for everyone else to have it so we could get big swirling dogfights online. Huge fun!!!

Reddog
September 27th, 2009, 15:43
I tried it in XP and got it to work just couldn't get any of the controls to work but then a friend of mine got it on his laptop and works fine he uses and old MS joy stick and I was using CH's Yoke and pedals.

Willy
September 27th, 2009, 15:49
I'm going to load it up here in a bit and see what it does. Offline play was good, but online Trog, Mrog and me had a hoot with it. I last ran it when this comp still was using 98SE as the OS. I've since upgraded to XP. I don't have a widescreen monitor (19" LCD), so that shouldn't be an issue. If I can get it to work, I'll be sure and post some screenshots.

strega13
September 27th, 2009, 19:11
crimson skies is one of these games that is still a blast after all these years . never had any issues playing it with XP .
i just wish MS decided to make another one on PC as well as XBOX360 .

gigabyte
September 27th, 2009, 19:20
Willy,

There is a software program you can purchase that lets you play all those old games. It creates a fake DOS system that they can run on.

It might be cheaper though to go with the $9.99 new CD of the game though. Bill

Bill are you thinking about DosBox? the last time I checked that was a freebie, I use it for my old Wing Commander games, it works great, and I even use it on Vista with no problem. As a matter of fact I picked up a "Leisure Suit Larry" collection last summer and it included DosBox on the CD with a free licence. I am not sure what version they are up to now, but I have something like 6.05 and it works fine for everything I want it for.

Lionheart
September 27th, 2009, 19:22
Bill are you thinking about DosBox? the last time I checked that was a freebie, I use it for my old Wing Commander games, it works great, and I even use it on Vista with no problem. As a matter of fact I picked up a "Leisure Suit Larry" collection last summer and it included DosBox on the CD with a free licence. I am not sure what version they are up to now, but I have something like 6.05 and it works fine for everything I want it for.

Thanks Mike for the heads up. That must be it. I have some great DOS games I would like to fly again.

Bill

srgalahad
September 29th, 2009, 06:24
It's free ( GNU license) and up to V 0.73 now

DosBox:
http://www.dosbox.com/news.php?show_news=1

the compatibility page:
http://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?letter=C

Crimson Skies isn't listed....

I think I had it running on my last XP machine but there was an issue with a few things ( like some of the text and joystick problems) Guess I'll have to reinstall my old Wingman stick and CH pedals on the gameport of that old Win98 box sitting on my wife's desk and see what it feels like again...

Rob

Moparmike
September 29th, 2009, 19:13
Anyone remember that old MS game Crimson Skies and has anyone tried it with XP? I recently found my old disc and thinking of giving it a go again.

Yup, Crimson Skies works great on XP. The only problem I have with it is ever since I upgraded my vid-card on my old rig from a Nvidia Ti4200 to a Ti6600. After that, I started getting some real funky graphics artifacts...never could get it straightened out but it was still playable in software-render mode @ 640x480. Ugly, but still fun!
Tried it on my new rig with a 8800GTS vid card shortly after I built that rig and still get the funky artifacts.

Dang...I still got that old Ti4200 card and an old 1.3GHz HP computer. Might have to try loading CS up just fer old times sake. :d

Willy
September 30th, 2009, 12:04
Installed it and it seems to be working great on my comp. O' course, my comp is pretty old now so that might make a difference. Only glitch is I keep getting a notice from the monitor to increase my resolution to 1280 x 1024, but 1024 x 768 is the largest resolution that CS supports.

I'll try to get some screen shots later.

JEDDRAGON
September 21st, 2011, 13:34
yeah I have still and it works with Windows 7 as well with a compatibly mode as well but I have reduce the size and color to keep it form crashing my system seeing my computer is older I use to have XP on it but got a copy of windows 7 and updated it :P

Allen
September 21st, 2011, 14:39
Crimson Skies Plays fine on XP had it on mine along time ago but you will need patch to fix a save game bug and Crimson Skies won't work on new ATI and Nvidia drivers. More info at Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimson_Skies_(video_game)#Development

I still want a new Crimson Skies. Never did play the Xbox one other than the Wal-Mart Demo. The Demo never felt the same as PC.

Willy
September 21st, 2011, 14:55
I see we're dragging up oldies :d

I had to give up on playing CS with this monitor. I kept getting that resolution error and it wouldn't go away. Darn shame really.

Allen
September 21st, 2011, 15:04
I see we're dragging up oldies :d

Yeah... now that you say that. Quite an old bump JEDDRAGON made.

CH_OldZeke
September 21st, 2011, 15:19
Works on win7 with newer nvidia cards with some "tweeks". Even fixes the corupted text thing.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?53413-CS-on-win7

I had removed the vid.

Almost forgot, gotta turn anti aliasing off in the nvidia control panel or CS will be black screened.

Allen
September 21st, 2011, 15:58
Maybe on N-vids but ATI cards like my Win 7 has, no.

SpitXIV
September 23rd, 2011, 20:48
I've still got my copy, and it works in XP, the only problem I had was getting their version of the Devastator
through the mountain tunnel.

Allen
September 23rd, 2011, 21:37
Devastator? Most of the time I was using the Brigand because of it tail gun. Mountain tunnel? Are you on the light house mission or somthing in Sky Haven?

Trans_23
September 24th, 2011, 08:13
Thanks for posting the info about Dos Box. Looks like I can run "Top Gun: Fire at Will" again. I spent hours playing that and CS when I bought my first computer back in Windows 95 days. I can't tell you how many times it crashed that OS.

Whitehawk
September 24th, 2011, 14:53
Loved the original, didn't even bother completing the first mission in the x-block version, hated what they did to the character design of Nathan Zachery in the 'sequel'..

SpitXIV
September 25th, 2011, 22:15
Devastator? Most of the time I was using the Brigand because of it tail gun. Mountain tunnel? Are you on the light house mission or somthing in Sky Haven?

It's the first mission. Zachery's crew is looking for treasure. there's 2 planes in the mission and they are biplanes.

Allen
September 25th, 2011, 22:32
You don't have to fly in that one. With some button it will cycle you to the next site to fly over. Any way the treasure is at site 3. Flying in or over the others give more money later on.

But you better get good quick as that tunnel is next to nothing compared to later on in the game.

EDIT: Make sure your "Stick" is quick. I used one I had just laying around it was unplayable I had to get my MS Sidewinder from the Win 7 PC.

SpitXIV
September 26th, 2011, 10:19
You don't have to fly in that one. With some button it will cycle you to the next site to fly over. Any way the treasure is at site 3. Flying in or over the others give more money later on.

But you better get good quick as that tunnel is next to nothing compared to later on in the game.

EDIT: Make sure your "Stick" is quick. I used one I had just laying around it was unplayable I had to get my MS Sidewinder from the Win 7 PC.

Thanks for the tip, I think you're referring to the slew button.

Allen
September 26th, 2011, 14:57
"E" or button 3 on MS Sidewinder will move you to the next ojbective or bad guy. This is what I was talking about.

SpitXIV
September 27th, 2011, 16:12
"E" or button 3 on MS Sidewinder will move you to the next ojbective or bad guy. This is what I was talking about.

Ok, Thanks. :wavey:

JEDDRAGON
October 11th, 2011, 21:17
sorry if I'm bumping this again i was gonna tell ya i intend to make a cfs2 version of crimson skies i have some ideas how

Allen
October 12th, 2011, 10:06
I wish you luck!

edmoore235
July 26th, 2013, 10:54
Greetings all,
I have had great fun with the old game, Crimson Skies installed on my Windows 8 machine. The OS is 64 bit so I updated my Logitech Joystick (Extreme 3d Pro) drivers at Logitech website - sweet with both FS2004 and Crimson Skies games. If you need a 32 bit or 64 bit Video patch, PM me and I can help you out. Also found a nice airplane editor to update the aircraft. Take care and have fun flying!!
Ed