PDA

View Full Version : Abraham Lake

falcon409
September 26th, 2009, 23:18
New bush strip along the Northern Saskatchewan River. Abraham Lake is an artificial lake, part of the Bighorn Dam project of 1972. Seemed a perfect place for a small strip and I still have a lot to do, I've only gotten the AB, flatten and rwy in place.
Satellite imagery is almost nonexistent north of the US/Canadian border, so this is what I decided on. . .something simple, but in a beautiful area of the river.

Matt Wynn
September 27th, 2009, 05:38
looks a great place Falcon, Tailwind looks right at home there :ernae:

falcon409
September 27th, 2009, 09:30
A few final shots. There's an actual Heliport not too far from this strip and I'll research that and add it as well. The airstrip is 130nm NW of Calgary on a heading of 310 degrees. I'll upload the file here in a bit. Everything is default, the only things that require installation are the AFCAD and the bgl that contains the flatten and airport boundary. ICAO is CYYA.

Matt Wynn
September 27th, 2009, 09:31
it is a very nice looking place :ernae:

falcon409
September 27th, 2009, 09:46
Yea, nice place for a small strip and that whole Mountain range west of Calgary is prime for a few more of these so you can fly easily from one to another once you're in the area.

Daube
September 27th, 2009, 09:50
A few final shots. There's an actual Heliport not too far from this strip and I'll research that and add it as well. The airstrip is 130nm NW of Calgary on a heading of 310 degrees. I'll upload the file here in a bit. Everything is default, the only things that require installation are the AFCAD and the bgl that contains the flatten and airport boundary. ICAO is CYYA.

Looks very good. I just love those small airfields in the middle on beautifull landscapes. :applause:

falcon409
September 27th, 2009, 21:31
Thanks Daube,
I finished the heliport (Cline River Heliport) and also redid Blue River. There are 4 others within a 100nm radius that I'll redo to spruce them up, just to give folks who enjoy mountain flying some strips to fly into.

One place that I have never been to, and just happened to be one of the 4 I was looking at is "Revelstoke", man is that a piece of heaven or what. The view in any direction will make your jaw drop.

These are some shots from the trip from Blue River to Abraham Lake: