PDA

View Full Version : ~ Anyone still have FEX installed? ~

boxcar
September 26th, 2009, 19:46
If so then you'll be interested in this: http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=31680

...& perhaps this: http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=31581

Am planning on posting a major thread there concerning the timing, blending & effectiveness in FSX's displaying all 11 daytime textures as well as what all 4 sky settings of each texture, using FEX's design console, are doing in FSX as the sim day unfolds. It will be long, full of interesting information & image rich.

Stratocruiser
September 26th, 2009, 21:22
Thanks for the info, Boxcar. Good to know the FEX server and product are still alive.

harleyman
September 27th, 2009, 00:42
Thats intresting...But for me this sums it all up mostly...

Do not expect major new features, etc, because FEX as it stands is really a great and ingenious product, with unlimited possibilities for various cloudscapes and other environments

Whats lacking in FEX IMO is the once promised at purchase time a weather engine..

While redone textures look nice, so do the endless combinations of texture sets that can be created in the application now

I'm sorry to see that Peter W has ditched his project completely..

bushpilot
September 27th, 2009, 03:06
I think they will have hard time trying to sell FEX. REX is cheaper and and is overall texture replacement tool unlike FEX. And REX already comes with great weather engine. A long time ago they added non functional "airport environment" button to FEX interface and now I can guess their airport environment textures won't happen ever.

Nick C
September 27th, 2009, 03:26
I still use FeX for my cumulus and stratus clouds and sky colours and ReX for Cirrus clouds and water (or I will when I re-install once again). I then use AsX for my 3rd party weather control when needed. So, for me this is just an added bonus, but not essential for my needs.

dswo
September 27th, 2009, 03:56
I already have ActiveSky and didn't expect the FEX weather engine to be better (except maybe in having cloud shadows). But the FEX interface could be much improved; and I was looking forward to new airport textures.

Thanks for posting, boxcar. I'm discouraged, but I'll try your new theme and look forward to hearing about your discoveries.

Gizmo
September 27th, 2009, 05:03
Well after seeing the FEX website go missing earlyer this month i cant say this is shocking news....i said all i had to say about FEX and the state it had been left in well over a year ago on the FSW forums sorry to say it turned out i wasnt very far off the mark......

I look forward to reading/seeing your finding Boxcar i havent had the main FEX app installed in a long long time as i pretty much made a scheme i was happy then used PS to tweak it a little and saved the files as a zip so i didnt need to spend an hour reinstalling updates to get my env back

If F1 have the source and a way to add new data sets i might see about contacting them to offer some of my unrelease HD water normals (HD water normals might turn out to be a moot piont if/when Striking Software get there FSWC+ version out with water normal scaling) and sun/lens flare sets,i'll have to see once i get around to building a new simming/gaming/deving rig as i broke down and sold my old once just after finishing the Goose HD redux and i dont think a 9" netbook will work towell as a deving rig ;)

Laters
Gizmo

idahosurge
September 27th, 2009, 05:13
Thanks for the info Boxcar.

Rod

dswo
September 27th, 2009, 09:23
After thinking about boxcar's news some more, I posted this on the FE forum: "I bought FEX a few days after it came out; and for weather I use ActiveSky. But to compete with REX (US$40), either the price needs to come down (from US$45) or the product needs to improve in ways that new customers will care about."

boxcar
September 27th, 2009, 17:21
Good to have your thoughts being expressed, guys. David- Have responded in to your postings again @ SimForums. In a word: we agree.

It will take a bit longer for me to get my findings of the FSX/FEX skies posted, as H1N1 is epidemic here & yours truly got nailed several days ago. Coming back to normal slowly & simply need a couple of good nights rest, as the last 4 have been miserable. Thanks... stayed tuned, pilots.

boxcar
September 29th, 2009, 14:57
Alrightythen, guys & gals. It's up: http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=31711 Thanks.

JamesChams
September 29th, 2009, 15:10
Thank you for the info! :wavey: I'm glad to see that Flight1's staff are planning on keeping this product alive. :applause:

I use it and REX and am NOT ashamed to say so... :wiggle:

harleyman
September 29th, 2009, 16:21
I use FEX also and enjoy it very much..

Boxcar, your colors look nice.....:applause:

How do we upgrade to this?

Thanks

boxcar
September 30th, 2009, 00:12
James- Yes, Flight1 has stepped up. And REX truly is marvelous, highly effective & a great FS addon second to none. Soon as they get the cloud shadows tweaked & incorporated into REX 2 then I will also purchase & use it as well. Both have their strong points & weak points. One thing FEX has going for it bigtime is that it has a design console where a simmer can design their own clouds, waters & skies as well as upload them for other FEX users to try. This, to my knowledge, is unique. Both have their great points. It's All Good.

Harleyman- There is presently nothing to upgrade to. Where did you see that anywhere, guy? Are you refering to my uploaded Artist VFR Clouds, Waters & Skies set? Flight1 is presently in the process of going through all of the FEX code to see what can be done. Improvements can be expected, am venturing to say, though what all & when exactly is unclear. In Steve's announcement he left open the possibility of a future weather engine still. Personally, could care less about that. Am wanting to see some new sun textures & stuff like that as well as further refining FEX. Unlike the original authors who truly let down a lot of us with their many broken promises & continuing silence, Flight1 doesn't do business that way. So, it's good that there are still a few of us FEX stalwarts around. Am going to send you a PM, guy. Thanks.

harleyman
September 30th, 2009, 01:09
Ok I re-read this all...YUP..I misunderstood....:isadizzy:

Thats just my thang I do lately......LOL

Its called getting old and short on simming / reading time...:kilroy:

Thanks for clearing that up for me...

Txmmy83
September 30th, 2009, 01:12
jep I still have it installed in Combo with Active Sky advance

dswo
September 30th, 2009, 02:55
jep I still have it installed in Combo with Active Sky advance

When I bought ASA, I set up several combinations and themes in FEX, then saved them as ASA snapshots. It's easier to switch between them in ASA (which I run with every flight) than in FEX (which may or may not have them cached). And, if you assign the themes a weather type, ASA can even switch the themes for you.

Txmmy83
September 30th, 2009, 14:13
yep I know :)

BR
Tom

JamesChams
September 30th, 2009, 16:36
James- Yes, Flight1 has stepped up. And REX truly is marvelous, highly effective & a great FS addon second to none. Soon as they get the cloud shadows tweaked & incorporated into REX 2 then I will also purchase & use it as well. Both have their strong points & weak points. One thing FEX has going for it bigtime is that it has a design console where a simmer can design their own clouds, waters & skies as well as upload them for other FEX users to try. This, to my knowledge, is unique. Both have their great points. It's All Good.

... Thanks.Mr. "Boxcar,"
I read your post on Flight1 forums, I was aware of some of these features but, honestly, never played around with them. I did, however, download each and ever theme from the server and loaded them into the game at one time or another to see how many of them look. I find the HD sets the best and am looking forward to seeing more. I must also admit that I like combining good features of FEX and REX together and using them with A2A's Shockwave 3D REDUX lights, to get the best of both (all) worlds.

Do, let Paul and Jim over at Flight1 know that I'm supporting their efforts to keep this alive for the well-being of their customers. I'm going over there shortly to post some things and buy some things too, so I might do that myself, as well.

Later! :wavey: