PDA

View Full Version : Run of of HD space

marklaur
September 26th, 2009, 04:06
After installing those nice new clouds for FS2004 and a few other sceneries I noticed things were slowing down a bit. Thought I would defrag the HD but no go. Not enough space left.

I want to image my existing drive to a bigger HD via Acronis (on a boot DVD) but it can not see the new HD in the usb case. Looks like Acronis can not see the usb plug in box till windows boots up.
Does anyone know if there is a program that can see an exteranl usb drive before windows boots up?

If I have to plug the new drive into the PC I have the problem of no more leads etc. I do have two DVD drives. Could just disconnect one of the DVD drives and use the leads to hook up to the new HD?

I Don't want to reinstall everything again or add a second HD.

Anyone got any good ideas on the easiest way to swap my existing image to a new HD?

Any help will be appreciated

Cheers MarkL

r678idtyj
September 26th, 2009, 04:34
Assuming You're running Windows XP, it's perfectly doable. Just don't forget to unplug the newly cloned drive before rebooting, under penalty of having generally manageable but annoying things happen(if you have SATA drives all around, it's possible to hot-plug/unplug them w/o trouble but NOT so w/ IDE ones!). I've been using acronis True Image for all of my drive upgrades for a while now and it works perfectly. Good luck!