PDA

View Full Version : Turboprop question

Willy
September 25th, 2009, 22:18
I'm not used to flying these shop furnaces so I've got a question.

Is there a way to set up a keystroke/joystick button for prop reverse or does that have to be done with a gauge?

I've been mucking about with Piglet's OV-1 Mohawk and it sure eats up a lot of runway trying to get stopped.

LonelyplanetXO
September 25th, 2009, 22:29
Hey Willie, If you hit F2 that usually provides reverse thrust as long as throttles were at idle when you pressed it. (or hit F1 first). On my Saitek controls there's a switch at the bottom point of the throttle travel so I've assigned F2 to it. The effect is that when you pull the throttles into beta, reverse thrust engages.

LPXO

Willy
September 26th, 2009, 10:42
I tried F2 with the throttles at idle and nothing happened. I then installed the throttle quad pop up from the default King Air and I can get the props to reverse with that although trying to get both levers to move when just setting down can be fun.

I still wish there was a key assignment for prop reverse.

Matt Wynn
September 26th, 2009, 11:01
there is you have to keep F2 held down though not press it just once, theres something in the CFG i believe about reversers...

Wing_Z
September 26th, 2009, 12:02
Yeah...on touchdown you go F2F2F2F2F2F2F2 until you hear the growly noise and the scenery starts slowing down to your satisfactionn.

Z-claudius24
September 26th, 2009, 12:46
Hi

Note about the Aircraft.cfg

Not all planes (turboprops or other mode of propulsion) have reverse available

Check the aircraft.cfg for this line (bold)

In the Mohawk

[TurbineEngineData]
fuel_flow_gain = 0.1
inlet_area = 1.2
rated_N2_rpm = 10000
static_thrust = 128
afterburner_available = 0
reverser_available=0.00 (1=available)

So you can push F2 (even with a hammer :) ) the engines will never go in reverse ...

Lionheart
September 26th, 2009, 12:50
Also, on Turboprops, you will have a reverse thrust at the prop entry,

something like this;

minimum_reverse_beta=-14.0 //Minimum pitch angle in reverse, (degrees)

Willy
September 26th, 2009, 13:33
Here's what the prop section for the Mohawk has

prop_reverse_available = 1
minimum_on_ground_beta = 1
minimum_reverse_beta = -14

Tom Clayton
September 26th, 2009, 13:44
If your props go into reverse with the throttle popup, then you should already be configured properly already. Here's a way to get the F2 thing working smoothly...

Go into your Control panel and dig up the Keyboard Properties. Make sure the Repeat Rate (second slider) is maxed out. I currently have the delay set to the longest possible, which is still only about a second. Once that's done, fire up your t-prop again and press and hold F2. It should only take about two seconds or so to get into full reverse thrust.

Z-claudius24
September 26th, 2009, 15:13
Hi

Edited

Error :)

Tom Clayton
September 26th, 2009, 15:47
Well, from the email that Claudius' original post generated, I think I found your problem Willy. There's two lines that are required to make any reverser work - whether it's a jet or t-prop:

[TurbineEngineData]
reverser_available = 1

[GeneralEngineData]
min_throttle_limit = -0.25

The aircraft.cfg in my archived Mohawk has the reverser set to zero, which means that when you hit F2, you'll actually get forward thrust. Make sure yours is set to "1" and you should be set.

I thought about posting those two lines earlier, but figured it was too obvious - that's what I get for thinking!:isadizzy:

Willy
September 26th, 2009, 16:17
Thanks Tom.. I changed that 0 to a 1 earlier based on claudius24's post and I just double checked the min throttle limit and it's as posted too. And F2 does work now. One thing I've decided about the Mohawk. It's not STOL.