PDA

View Full Version : GSL sets Compatible with Rhumbaflappy

gavinc
September 22nd, 2009, 01:34
Hi
I have just uploaded a partial fix for the default airfields to make them more usable with Rhumbaflappy's water masks.

I realize that they all need major upgrades and rebuilds but as an interim measure I went thru them and repaired any that were amenable to simple GSL editing. So now (at least for some of the airfields) wharfs are on the edge of the shore and palm trees, gun emplacements etc are all on dry land.
Approximately 1/3 of the airfields were either ok as is or amenable to this approach.

The airfields that are now ok (or didn't need touching) are
Alexishafen
Aslito
Babelthuap
Buka
Buna
Cape Glouster
Gasmata
Guam
Henderson
Kahili
Kavieng
Kieta
Koror
Malaguna
Mille
Munda (still needs a bit of work - one end of the runway sticks out into the water)
Namatanai
Ponape
Port Moresby
Rapopo
Salamaua
Tinian
Tsili Tsili
Vila
Wewak
Yap

Should be in the download queue soon.

Gavin

Rami
September 22nd, 2009, 07:00
Thank you very much, Gavinc! :ernae: :icon29: :ernae:

Jagdflieger
September 22nd, 2009, 14:15
Lots of detail work there and I'm sure it was pretty time consuming.

Thanks!

kelticheart
September 22nd, 2009, 15:58
Lots of detail work there and I'm sure it was pretty time consuming.

Thanks!

I'll second that!

Thank you very much Gavinc, you did a great job!

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Cheers!
KH :ernae:

Fibber
September 22nd, 2009, 18:45
are they there yet, are they there yet???!!!!!!:icon_lol:

Arndt
September 22nd, 2009, 22:30
Many thanks for your effort & time spent!
:jump: Arndt

Fibber
September 23rd, 2009, 03:44
Seriously, are they in the dwnload section? I can't find them.

Rami
September 23rd, 2009, 04:46
Fibber,

They're in the download queue, Douglas has to approve them.

Fibber
September 23rd, 2009, 06:37
10-4

Wulf190
September 23rd, 2009, 12:51
still waiting... :icon_lol:

I can't wait to give this a shot!

gavinc
September 23rd, 2009, 22:25
Hi,
I am not sure why it is taking so long to appear in the download queue, guess Douglas is a busy guy.

For those of you who can't stand the wait any longer I have attached the zip file. Just download it and remove the ".pdf" ending on the file name.

Don't get too excited tho, all I did was move around a few of the default MS objects of a few of the airfields. In no way can this be considered a remake of the airfields to anything like their proper appearance.

Gavin

gavinc
September 24th, 2009, 04:46
Hi guys,
I have figured out that the runway locations are stored in the allrunways.bgl file. Delete that and you no longer have any runways. You still have the infrastructure where the airfield should be but no runway to land on.

I have disassembled the bgl and you get something like

;;; Disassembled by scdis ver 2.3
;;; BGL header info
;scenery id: 0x1
;max north: N28:12:18.86
;min north: S15:31:1.79
;max east: W177:19:49.74
;min east: E134:13:35.72
;sec0 point: 0x0
;min freq: 0x0
;max freq: 0x0
;sec1 point: 0x0
;sec2 point: 0x0
;sec3 point: 0x0
;sec4 point: 0x0
;sec5 point: 0x0
;sec6 point: 0x0
;sec7 point: 0x0
;sec8 point: 0x0
;sec9 point: 0x80
;sec10 point: 0x0
;sec11 point: 0x0
;sec12 point: 0x0
;sec13 point: 0x0
;sec14 point: 0x0
;sec15 point: 0x0
;value0: 0x0
;value1: 0x0
;value2: 0x0
;value3: 0x0
;value4: 0x0
;value5: 0x0
;value6: 0x0
;value7: 0x0
;sec16 point: 0x0
;sec17 point: 0x0
;sec18 point: 0x0
;sec19 point: 0x0
;sec20 point: 0x0
;sec21 point: 0x0
;value8: 0x0

Header( 1 N28:12:18.86 S15:31:1.79 W177:19:49.74 E134:13:35.72 )

;;; ----------------------------
;;; section 9 - Procedural scenery
LatRange( S15:31:1.30 S15:30:44.72 )
Area( A S15:31:2.31 E167:13:27.35 100 )
Runway( S15:31:2.25 E167:13:27.35
alt 21.00
heading 0.01
length 4248
width 492
markers 00
threshold 00
surface 66
lights 00
id 0
ThrOffN 473
ExtN 11620
ThrOffF 51311
ExtF 34
THRLightsN 1e
AprLN 217
StrobesN 1
VasiTypeN f0
VasiSlopeN 281.24
VasiSideN 28618
VasiDistN 53192
VasiSpaceN 113
THRLightsF 0
AprLF 0
StrobesF 0
VasiTypeF a4
VasiSlopeF 223.85
VasiSideF 61968
VasiDistF 1
VasiSpaceF 16384
)
;;;;; EndA Overrun. (now:0x29c, enda:0x270
EndA

;;;;; End of LatRange

The LatRange is repeated 88 times (one for each runway). I figure that if I can tweak the latitude & longditude numbers a bit I may be able to get some more of the default bases adjusted for the new improved water masks.

HOWEVER,

My first problem is that if I just de-compile and then re-compile the allrunways.bgl file all the runways go away. There must be some magic switch in SCASM that I am missing.

Does anyone have an idea about what I am doing wrong?

thanks

Gavin

kdriver
September 24th, 2009, 06:26
Hi Gavin,

I have also found this when I have moved aerodromes.

After investigating the original and modified bgl files with a hex editor, I discovered that for some reason the runway surface type is changed to a different number which is not recognised by CFS 2. Perhaps this is because the decompiling program was designed originally for civil flight sims. I have ended up with either no runway or an FS98 style runway. Therefore the applicable CFS 2 runway surface type number needs to be manually entered before recompiling. Sorry, but I can't find the CFS 2 runway type list at the moment.

Another problem with moving airfields is the difference in elevation of the new location. Once again the new elevation may have to be entered in both the decompiled runway data section and the A16N (flatten) section.

Once you have successfully moved the airfield, the easiest way to move the GSL location is to convert it to a Layout file and change the Lat/Long entry at the beginning of the file to the new co-ordinates. The layout is then reconverted to a GSL file.

As I have copied many airfields to new locations, I know what a tedious job it is. So I wish you luck and appreciate the good work you are doing.

Kevin

CrisGer
September 24th, 2009, 18:55
i saw this yesterday, did not know if eveyrone else did, it sounds great, i am planning to re install with Rhumba's set and this will be a good help getting some of the default stuff to match. I hope people do some of the main bases and bigger places like Pearl too possibly.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.php?loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=15008
Gavinc
Partially compatible GSL for Rhumbaflappy's Water
I have gone through the default CFS2 airfields and used the GSL editor to move some of the infrastructure to match Rhumbaflappys new coastline. Approximately 1/3 of the airfields were either ok as is or ammenable to this approach.
The airfields that are ok are
Alexishafen, Aslito, Babelthuap, Buka, Buna, Cape Glouster, Gasmata, Guam, Henderson, Kahili, Kavieng, Kieta, Koror, Malaguna, Mille, Munda, Namatanai, Ponape, Port Moresby, Rapopo, Salamaua, Tinian, Tsili Tsili, Vila, Wewak &
Yap
All the other default airfields are untouched

oldwheat
September 25th, 2009, 18:26
I cannot get the file to unzip on my PC ( 'unknown compression method' ) & renaming the .pdf is a no-go also :banghead: .

erufle
September 26th, 2009, 04:32
I cannot get the file to unzip on my PC ( 'unknown compression method' ) & renaming the .pdf is a no-go also :banghead: .
I am afraid I cannot open them either. Sucks, I really want the new gsl.

bobhegf
September 26th, 2009, 12:27
Fellows you don`t need to delete the the allrunways file just move the allrunways file into a new folder.This takes out all the runways. I also clean out all the stock infrastructure objects by going to the [PREF] located in the CFS2 config file and adding at the bottom useGSL=empty.gsl This takes out all the stock objects.You can then add new objects and gsl them to match the new runways.I have known about the runways and infrastructure objects about 4 years and posted just what you are talking about about three times in the past.Infact we had a large post about this about three years ago.

gavinc
September 27th, 2009, 06:02

Sorry Oldwheat, don't know why it is an unknown compression method (I don't think I compressed it with a non standard format but anything is possible.

I have attached the 2 files on this post. The gsl file needs the ".pdf" removing, the text file is just that.

Gavin

gavinc
September 27th, 2009, 06:07
Thanks for the tips and explanations about what is going on. I had thought about the elevation differences (hopefully not much - I am not trying to make them "realistic" just move them a few metres so that they fit within the shorelines of the new water) but I didn't realize that the runway types would be de-compiled incorrectly.

Guess it is time to start playing.

Gavin

oldwheat
September 27th, 2009, 08:09
I made it work by opening the ,pdf with Frhed & saving it into an empty .gsl. For some reason my machine won't let me merely rename text files so I have to get innovative. It looks as if I will have to reinstall all of the add-on gobs though.

gavinc
September 27th, 2009, 08:54
I made it work by opening the ,pdf with Frhed & saving it into an empty .gsl. For some reason my machine won't let me merely rename text files so I have to get innovative. It looks as if I will have to reinstall all of the add-on gobs though.

Glad you managed to make it work.

About the gob files. I purposely left it stock for a couple of reasons.

1) Not knowing who has what gobs installed i thought it would be simpler for people to re-install gobs than for me to try to identify all the packages that would be needed to be installed.

2) it is a heck of a lot easier to work with

gavin

CrisGer
September 27th, 2009, 21:47
thanks so much for sharing all of this