PDA

View Full Version : 'Bats!'

Panther_99FS
September 24th, 2009, 18:27
Pointed out by a member in the Nikon forum I belong to...

--> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1213851/Stunning-shots-thirsty-bats-swooping-lick-water-garden-pond.html

Chacha
September 24th, 2009, 18:34
Stunning shots! Kim really did a great job..... :applause:

3500 volts of flash? ... how bright was that?

Thanks for sharing Panther!

TARPSBird
September 24th, 2009, 18:38
Outstanding photos. Great sensory skills those little guys have, to be able to swoop in low and slurp a drink like that, literally "on the fly".

cheezyflier
September 25th, 2009, 04:35
Outstanding photos. Great sensory skills those little guys have, to be able to swoop in low and slurp a drink like that, literally "on the fly".

owls are pretty good at that too. i saw a video once of an owl flying through a room that was criss-crossed with 2x4s, in the dark, to get at a simulated mouse. very cool stuff

Lionheart
September 25th, 2009, 12:57
Pretty wild Panther. Thanks for the heads up.

I would have never thought they could do that. We have some fly over now and then and they are crazy to watch, their eratic patterns they fly, zigging and zagging, diving and looping, trying to get insects. Almost like little UFO's, lol.

Bill

Railrunner130
September 26th, 2009, 05:30
Those are some awesome shots. Bats are pretty neat. We had one in the house last summer apparently as the result of some demolition work. In the middle of the night my wife woke me up in a panic about it. He did laps around the first floor for a bit, while I chased him out. It was pretty neat watching him do laps though.

TARPSBird
September 26th, 2009, 13:41
I remember the fruit bats we used to see at NAS Cubi Point in the Philippines. They'd get airborne around sunset and you'd see 'em flying around up on the hills. These guys were the "flying fox" type bat, much bigger than the ones in the photos but still pretty interesting critters.