PDA

View Full Version : Problem with attaching an effect file onto the building.

lucas81
September 24th, 2009, 02:10
Hello,

I have some problem with attaching an effect to the geometry. Basically I would like to add a position, red light to the hangar I am working on.

I have created a box in gmax, then I click onto it, next I choose attach point tool from the FS Tools menu. From the effect list I choose fx_navred ( I tick the effect option of course) and then I also tick "visibility" option and select "general light" from the drop down list.

After compiling the MDL and putting it into FSX, the box disappears (as it should) but i cannot see any attached effect.

Can someone tell me please what I did wrong and what is missing ? Maybe shall I create some dedicated light effect ?

Best regards,
Lucas

PS: I hope that I was clear. Sorry for my poor English.

GaryGB
September 25th, 2009, 07:32
Hello:

Some types of effects are only for use with aircraft MDL files, not scenery objects... and vice versa. :blind:

I am not exactly sure at this time just how it is that one distinguishes this in the effect's *.FX file when viewed in NotePad or when actively using the Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Special Effects SDK\visualfxtool.dll.

Generally, most non-airport "beacon" effects are only for aircraft MDL files; beyond that, I too am still learning as I go ! :icon_lol:

Also, be aware that effects which do work with scenery objects via the attachpoint tool may have visibility and display parameters more limited than if they are simply "placed" adjacent to the scenery object via XML.

See this thread (and search on "effect") at the FSDeveloper forums for additional info on this:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16405&page=2

Also, if you want a quick and easy flashing red warning light on the roof of a building, you could place the default FSX "Hazard" radio tower (gen_radio01) with it's base inside the building concealed beneath the roof and ground, with only the "hazard light" showing.

See this web site for a nice gallery of available FSX default scenery library objects available to be "placed" into position via XML methods (ex: using a manually edited XML file, or interactively with Airport Design Engine (ADE), SbuilderX (SBX), Instant Scenery, Whisplacer, etc.) to create the output BGL file for final use when the XML code is compiled with FSX SDK BGLCompiler.

http://lc0277.nerim.net/sceneobjects/

Hope this helps ! :mixedsmi:

GaryGB

Meshman
September 25th, 2009, 11:56
Please excuse my poor english, I'm from Kalifornia!:mixedsmi:

Lights are effects, which are placable scenery objects. Here's some example code for a flashing red light I had made to go on top of some windmills placed on the Big Island of Hawai'i.

<SceneryObject
lat="18.9793307706714"
lon="-155.687583982944"
alt="26.87M"
altitudeIsAgl="TRUE"
pitch="0"
bank="0"
heading="310.995483398438"
imageComplexity="NORMAL">
<Effect
effectName="fx_AAX_Red30"
effectParams="DAWN=1"/>
</SceneryObject>
<SceneryObject
lat="18.9793307706714"
lon="-155.687583982944"
alt="26.87M"
altitudeIsAgl="TRUE"
pitch="0"
bank="0"
<Effect
effectParams="DUSK=1"/>
</SceneryObject>
<SceneryObject
lat="18.9793307706714"
lon="-155.687583982944"
alt="26.87M"
altitudeIsAgl="TRUE"
pitch="0"
bank="0"
<Effect
effectParams="NIGHT=1"/>
</SceneryObject>

Since you want to elevate the light you need to have an altitude and that altitudeIsAgl="TRUE".

The effect shown is one I modified from default, where I decreased the blink rate. Or maybe I increased it, sorry I can't recall. Also, there are three calls to the effect; DAWN, DUSK and NIGHT. I like to keep the calls seperately, just in case there is some "quirk" in the SDKs.

If you have the SDKs installed and it seems you do, then the VisualFX tool is available from within the sim. Note: Like most all the tools, it's not real user friendly. But a little time can be spent seeing what each of the options does.

I've been holding off releasing the windmills, as there's a global texture addon for the US that appropriated the all of the FSX dirt textures and when trying to place the windmills in a DIRT area it looks like some cat barfed in the area!!!! The dirt is to be returned in a soon to be released update to unmentioned global texture program that rhymes with BEX...

lucas81
September 28th, 2009, 12:21
Dear Gary and Meshman,

I would like to thank you very much for your help and advices.
I decided to use effect placement option availble in the Whisplacer 0.9, as I use it for the object placement in my projects.

Lucas