PDA

View Full Version : Quick Update 9/23

N2056
September 23rd, 2009, 15:20
Through the generosity of Lionheart I now have a pilot figure. He needs to have a lot of work done yet, but it's fun to see a guy in the plane!

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/3181/2009922185034718.jpg

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/2489/2009922191757281.jpg

Thanks Bill! :jump:

JamesChams
September 23rd, 2009, 15:49
Looks like what I did when I built my first aircraft cockpit out of a washing-machine cardboard box. I was so happy for days; I would just sit in it and dream of all the features I was going to add to make it work; I was only 7 or 8 years old at the time. And, Yeah, he (your Pilot) has that same "dumb grin", I had too, to go with it. :icon_lol: But, all in all looks like a really fun looking project; Is it FREEWARE or PAYWARE?
Wish you the best of luck in its completion :ernae:; mine only lasted about six to eight weeks before (Coca Cola) water damage sent it to a crushing grave, the garbage bin.:engel016:

Good Luck! :wavey:

N2056
September 23rd, 2009, 15:51
This one is going to be freeware :d

MCDesigns
September 23rd, 2009, 16:09
Very cool, he looks happy enough!
Thanks Bill for helping Robert out! :ernae:

Gibbage
September 23rd, 2009, 17:19
Through the generosity of Lionheart I now have a pilot figure. He needs to have a lot of work done yet, but it's fun to see a guy in the plane!

http://www.gibbageart.com/files/images/pilot.jpg
Thanks Bill! :jump:

I dunno. You may want to try another pilot. This one doesn't look too reliable. I would never condone drinking and flying.

:monkies:

N2056
September 23rd, 2009, 17:21
Well Done! :icon29:

At least with "Pete" you have to know where to click :kilroy:

X_eidos2
September 23rd, 2009, 17:36
That figure looks an awful lot like the Poser dude from Poser 4. The Poser folks tend to be very prohibitive on how their meshes get used, like no exporting of figures to make other figures. Of course the company that owns Poser has changed hands at least three times since the Dude was first made but I imagine they're still pretty touchy about such things. Even though the plane is going to be freeware - it looks like that figure came from Poser and it's a clear violation of their EULA. I'm sure Lionheart's intentions were all good, but using that figure could cause trouble down the line.

N2056
September 23rd, 2009, 17:52
Given the recent problems that Bill has had to deal with that he did not knowingly cause the last thing I want is to cause him more trouble...:kilroy:

I guess I'm back to a 'ghost plane' for now.

X_eidos2
September 23rd, 2009, 17:59
I can send you one of my pilot figures. Not as detailed as Poser dude, but it should work as a placeholder until you can get another figure.

N2056
September 23rd, 2009, 18:06
Many Thanks for the offer. I suppose I really should try to address the issue directly, and either model my own guy in Gmax or go ahead & invest in a program that generates figures. I will keep your offer in mind while I investigate a permanent solution.

MCDesigns
September 23rd, 2009, 18:24
That figure looks an awful lot like the Poser dude from Poser 4. The Poser folks tend to be very prohibitive on how their meshes get used, like no exporting of figures to make other figures. Of course the company that owns Poser has changed hands at least three times since the Dude was first made but I imagine they're still pretty touchy about such things. Even though the plane is going to be freeware - it looks like that figure came from Poser and it's a clear violation of their EULA. I'm sure Lionheart's intentions were all good, but using that figure could cause trouble down the line.

Hmmm, wonder if I can get DAZ's Victoria 4 and her 40K + of polys into FSX :running:

X_eidos2
September 23rd, 2009, 18:36
Chuck Jodry would be a good one to ask. He knows about a 3d program that's specifically made for creating figures and the resulting meshes have no restrictions on their use. I think it's one of those open source programs like Blender. I never bothered following up on it as the mesh looked too heavy for flight sim work, and I had my own set of figures from my days working on a submarine game.

N2056
September 23rd, 2009, 18:39
I think you might be referring to Daz Studio, which I am looking at now...

Piglet
September 23rd, 2009, 18:41
I dunno. You may want to try another pilot. This one doesn't look too reliable. I would never condone drinking and flying.

Instant CLASSIC, Gibbage! Remember the rule: 8" from bottle to throttle!

MCDesigns
September 23rd, 2009, 19:13
I think you might be referring to Daz Studio, which I am looking at now...

Daz Studio is just for rendering of scenes composed of 3D objects, nothing more, very similar to Poser. Bascially digital art. The content for it that they sell (my commercial work) is not for game use and in most cases is just to detailed, poly heavy anyway.

X_eidos2
September 24th, 2009, 08:34
If you want a free human figure to work with in Gmax, this figure from TurboSquid might be a good place to start. The price is right.

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/urban-male-3ds-free/464075

N2056
September 24th, 2009, 15:01
John, you found something I can work with! I was thinking about trolling Turbosquid last night but I had to get to bed. I have the guy in Gmax now, and I am prepping for surgery :icon29:

Thank You for taking the time to find that link! :wavey:

N2056
September 24th, 2009, 20:55
Okay...here is the result of an evenings work on the free Turbosquid guy. I took the head & refined it with a shot of mesh smoothing, and i merged in my headset from "Pete". Then I started working on refining the headset...here is what I have at the end of tonight's session.

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/1080/2009924214540812.jpg

JamesChams
September 24th, 2009, 21:10
Awesome! :applause::applause::applause:

but, he does look like the Borg or the Terminator with those "see through" eyes. :icon_lol:

Keep up the good work! :wavey:

anatolpopov
September 25th, 2009, 02:31
Ach, Quickie looks good.. Contact me if you need any betatesters :engel016:

Naki
September 25th, 2009, 02:41
Looks great!

Is the Thorp T-18 still under construction?

N2056
September 25th, 2009, 14:09
Yep...it's still being worked on. I have numerous things I refined during this project that will be incorporated into the Thorp :d

Lionheart
September 25th, 2009, 17:46

Hello John,

From this conversation on using Poser to create figures for Flight Simulator roughly 2 years ago, I went directly to the law department at Poser. I spent 3 or 4 days with them, double checking things. They had said at the first that it would be ok, but I had him recheck concerning use in Flight Simulator, etc.

So long as it is not left stock, so long as it cannot be reused (in a mesh program), so long as it is locked and cannot be redone/modified/etc, then it is serving its purpose.

Many people use this for Architecture, for brochures, manuals, etc. And yes, games are a big thing with Poser figures. If you read through 3D Art magazine, some tutorials are with Poser.

So... From Ground Zero, Poser's owning corporation law department says its fine to make models of figures for Flight Simulator. That is from them, not me.

Bill

N2056
September 25th, 2009, 18:05
Okay, before we end up in a philosophical debate on what you can or can not do with poser...

Bill was trying to help me out. I highly doubt that he was aware of any issues that may or may not exist about what he did. It would seem that he has researched the question.

Given debates I have watched in various forums regarding these sorts of things I immediately 'failed safe', as reputation is everything ;)

In the end I actually ended up doing what I should have done at the start...develop a figure that is mine to do with as I wish. :icon_lol:

Lionheart
September 25th, 2009, 18:11
Sorry Robert. I didnt mean to bring a debate into this.

I highly recommend to people to get Poser. It is an amazing program for making pilots with.

Peace. :d

Bill

MCDesigns
September 25th, 2009, 18:29
Sorry Robert. I didnt mean to bring a debate into this.

I highly recommend to people to get Poser. It is an amazing program for making pilots with.

Peace. :d

Bill

I definitely wouldn't suggest others using it for that since that isn't what it was designed for, it's a rendering/animation tool. Also Smith Micro bought out Poser last year and while they are still developing it, they may have different ideas as to content use. I agree that people should try Poser out though, been using it for years and have it open right now, LOL.