PDA

View Full Version : A cool aircraft carrier picture.....

Navy Chief
September 23rd, 2009, 11:46
Happened upon this today, and thought I'd share it.

NC

crashaz
September 23rd, 2009, 11:49
WooHoo!!! Thanks! Included in my rotating backgrounds!

Navy Chief
September 23rd, 2009, 12:12
I can't remember exactly when it was, but during one port visit onboard the USS Independence, I was on duty, and just walking around the ship.

I walked up to the Forecastle (pronounced " fo'c'sle)

There was a guy with a fishing line going out the hawse, and was fighting with it. He'd actually hooked a small shark, but couldn't get it through the opening!!

NC

Wing_Z
September 23rd, 2009, 13:14
Impressive sight...
Looking at those huge anchors: are they routinely used?
I can't think of a situation where they would be.

N2056
September 23rd, 2009, 15:57
Actually, they get used quite a bit. When overseas most port calls require larger ships like carriers to "anchor out". The crew gets back & forth using boats chartered locally. They are known as "liberty boats"

Navy Chief
September 23rd, 2009, 16:08
Actually, they get used quite a bit. When overseas most port calls require larger ships like carriers to "anchor out". The crew gets back & forth using boats chartered locally. They are known as "liberty boats"

Yep. I never had the opportunity to experience walking off a carrier at the dock, except at Mayport, FL. And waiting for a ferry boat to take you to fleet landing on liberty can take hours and hours. Once I made CPO, it was a lot better. But I can remember standing in line ALL day. The dress code for liberty USED to be very strict. No shirts without collars. The ship's CMC would be waiting to check out what you were wearing. If he didn't like it, you didn't get off the ship, PERIOD.

NC

strikehawk
September 23rd, 2009, 17:10
Yep. I never had the opportunity to experience walking off a carrier at the dock, except at Mayport, FL. And waiting for a ferry boat to take you to fleet landing on liberty can take hours and hours. Once I made CPO, it was a lot better. But I can remember standing in line ALL day. The dress code for liberty USED to be very strict. No shirts without collars. The ship's CMC would be waiting to check out what you were wearing. If he didn't like it, you didn't get off the ship, PERIOD.

NC

What boat and when as when I was on the Sara things were rather relaxed. But I do remember the long liberty lines at some ports. Naples was the only port that the wait was rather short and there we had both our U-boats and the local ferry's running. I do remember one thing about the liberty boats, I always had trouble getting into them sober if they were tossing in the swells, but it was no problem getting in or out when I was drunk.

Navy Chief
September 23rd, 2009, 17:22
I ALWAYS made sure I was one of the first to get off the liberty boat when returning to the ship. Why? Because I learned real quick that the drunks would fight, puke, and fall over each other. So I figured the faster I got back onboard, and went through the searches by the Master At Arms.....the faster I would reach my rack!!!

NC