PDA

View Full Version : Quick notice...

Rami
September 22nd, 2009, 16:53
To all,

To those who don't regularly communicate with me on Skype, my availability this weekend will be somewhat limited, in fact I may not be around much of Friday afternoon and evening. I am having some oral surgery done on Friday that I've been putting off for a month or two.

I have to have six teeth extracted on Friday. I'm less than thrilled, but I have four impacted wisdom teeth and two others they have to yank out. I've requested to be knocked out, so I'm having my dad drive me home so Erica can stay with the kids. With being on blood thinners, it's dangerous to do the procedure without halting the medication, but it's also dangerous to keep stopping and starting it, so I'm getting it done at once.

So, once the procedure is done, I should still be around to monitor the forum as needed, but I'd appreciate a smooth couple of days while I'm recouping. I'm sure I'll be sick of applesauce, jello, and soup by the time this is all over.

Thanks to all,

Chacha
September 22nd, 2009, 17:01
I pray all works out fine.

You will be ok. Drink plenty of Gatorade. Eat a lot of ice cream. Campbell Chicken Noodle Soup in condensed form is my daughter's favorite when she had her tonsilectomy. :engel016:

Tom Clayton
September 22nd, 2009, 18:17
I had one wisdom tooth done with a local and then the remaining three done as inpatient surgery while I was in the service. Enjoy the gread pills they give you!

Typhoon Willy
September 22nd, 2009, 18:24
Rami,

I wish you a speedy recovery.

TW

Fibber
September 22nd, 2009, 18:44
Rami;
From experience. If bleeding restarts at anytime soak a teabag in water till wet throughout , then pack over the wound. The tanic acid in the tea will stop the bleeding.
Used that on several jaw holes and also a incurred injury while far away from medical care. Works well.
Rest well and don't do any strenuous walking, or activity, that will raise blood pressure. :ernae:

Devildog73
September 23rd, 2009, 02:06
Our house is praying for you also, buddy!

Fibber is correct. Many an old dentist has offered the same advice in years past. Teabags do work.

mariereid
September 23rd, 2009, 02:44
How I hate going to the dentist! My last visit was for a wisdom tooth. It took over 5 hrs. Man I am brushing my teeth everytime I turn around, don't want to go through that again! Good luck, bud, I will add you to my ever growing list of people who I say a little prayer for.

Fibber
September 23rd, 2009, 03:39
Hope you haven't bit off more than you can chew! (Sorry couldn't resist this one:icon_lol:). :ernae: Just had some out myself so I know how you are feeling.

Rami
September 23rd, 2009, 04:39
Fibber,

That was awful, man.

Fibber
September 23rd, 2009, 06:45
Rami; I know, but I hope you realize it is in gest. I am awaiting my return to the realm of Doctor Moreau to have some implants done. Actually, my dentist is a real nice guy who is a Dean in NYU.
Remember, don't walk any distance (less the better), no talking, no chewing, REST, and take the oxycondone!

Rami
September 23rd, 2009, 08:35
I will rest, probably on my laptop preparing exams and lesson plans.

By the way...for the warnings you listed...how long?

Chacha
September 23rd, 2009, 08:53
Remember, don't walk any distance (less the better), no talking, no chewing, REST, and take the oxycondone!

Oxycondone is a drug, take it on the first or maybe second day to relieve the pain and you can rest, dont drink alcohol, take water with it. If you can endure a little pain, stop taking it, just take regular strength Tylenol, if you can. (I took that drug when I had a major surgery - (c-section operation). Six teeth, the doctor would probably stitch the gum to close it temporarily.

Gargle with vinegar, to stop the bleeding and to heal the wound faster. Are you getting a denture right after the operation? (that would be more painful- but you can endure!), Don't use a straw to eat or drink....

After a few days, maybe 3, you will be ok, after a week, wound should be healing fast.

Fibber
September 23rd, 2009, 09:55
Usually 48 hours till you feel a little like yourself. The walking, activity, part would be about 24 hours, about the time for the blood to congeal. Chacha is right that there will probably be some internal stiching done.
The best is to go home and go to bed. I once had a infection resuting in two out. I then walked two miles to go to work, and which in my old profession required a lot of talking and activity. Long story short we ran out of gauze in a friendly ambulance trying to stem the bleeding. Ruined a perfectly good uniform that night.
After the anesthesia wears off you should start any medication, with lots of water, but follow the doctors directions on this. I don't, personally, like to take one while the other is efffective due to the possiblity of drug incompatability which can make you REAL sick. You WILL be sore for about a week. Watch for food that has high salt content that will cause a small hit of the BP.
If you have the jaw bone structure consider some implants. Less probability of soreness problems and possible food contamination under them.

Wulf190
September 23rd, 2009, 12:51
Hang in there Rami!

As for me I have had 12 teeth pulled, that's including wisdom teeth, braces both top and bottom, two drillings (from cavities I couldn't have prevented unless I was walking and brushing 24/7) and major oral surgery on my gums. All in the time span of 10 years (7-17).

I remember my desist gave me some massive drugs for the pain. I couldn't stand the stuff. I hated feeling like I was just drifting along....:blind:

But we will behave ourselves (as much as we can) while your away.

Pssst...fellas... break out the good stuff, Rami's gone. :gameon:

Rami
September 23rd, 2009, 13:38
Fibber,

The problem with clotting is that I'm permanently on Cumadin because I've had multiple DVT's (Deep Vein Thrombosis) and bleeding is a constant concern. I will probably have to start retaking the medicine that night, though it takes three days for the levels in my blood to stabilize. I stopped taking the medicine Monday night to stabilize my blood before this surgery.

How much will that complicate the recovery?

Fibber
September 23rd, 2009, 13:56
Rami;
I am not in the medical field but do have alot of experience from personal, professional(former) and family experiences.
I don't think that it will complicate anything. Just factor in a bit longer time for recuperation and healing. The main thing is rest and not moving the jaw. Just remember the teabags. Earl Grey tastes better than Tetley:icon_lol:

Chacha
September 23rd, 2009, 14:51
It will bleed as it is an open wound, be prepared to have a towel on your pillow, (or you will stain your pillow anyway). Just rest, sleep most of the day, your oxycodone will knock you off. Be sure you eat, do not use a straw, no strenuous anything. Gargle with vinegar, the apple cider one will be best to stop the bleeding and it heals the gum faster, the tea bag is also very very good....

Remember, don't be nervous on anything, stay calm! The next day will be another day to recuperation. Eat, eat, and eat.... you need energy to heal fast. Soup, soft diet, and plenty of liquid (no alcohol)...

We want you to recuperate fast!!! :engel016:

Hern07
September 23rd, 2009, 18:00
A lot of similarities here. (I'm on waferin, the genetic blood thinner and have had DVT and a recent blood clot in a lung.) I had many teeth removed at the same time and "laughing gas" worked for me. The actual surgery wasn't too bad (and I have a low tolerance for pain) but I was sick as a dog for the next two days. It'll be OK, but keep a basin handy. I am on Oxycondone for a degenerative disk and want to re-emphasize something Chacha said, it's very important to NOT take this drug on an empty stomach. We all wish you well. :d

PJMack
September 23rd, 2009, 22:10
Rami,

At least you can use the computer to keep your mind off the pain. It's nice to see the support here at SOH.:monkies:

Good_2_Be
September 24th, 2009, 17:24
Hope everything works out well Rami, had all mine done at the same time, all impacted :isadizzy: They knocked me out also, as a matter of fact the dentist gave me a valume to take before surgery, don't even remember the ride to the office or the trip home. The next couple of days were a blur but I do know soup was my friend, on the other hand some folks bounce right back like nothing happened.
I remember one guy back in boot who had his removed, bit of a mess the first day but up and about the next. I think he was going to be a Seal.

nuff rambling I'll B praying for ya my friend :engel016:

miamieagle
September 24th, 2009, 18:48
Wish you a speedy recovery!

I hope its not all that painful.:wavey:

Rami
September 25th, 2009, 07:09
I've left as of 11:30am EST.

Rami
September 25th, 2009, 16:33
I'm back home. To those who ask how I'm feeling...I feel like somebody slugged me, HARD. I'm still bleeding a skosh, but the Vicodin helps. I had seven of those puppies taken out, getting it over with in one shot. Once my gum heals, then we start with dental implants and crowns. They didn't knock me out, they just loaded me up with novocaine until I couldn't feel a damn thing. The ride home in a traffic jam was kind of fun, especially when my mouth was regaining feeling.

A lesson to my kids...brush your teeth and floss, or daddy will tell you what happens if you're not completely thorough.

Shadow Wolf 07
September 25th, 2009, 17:02
Hope you feel better soon

Skywolf
September 25th, 2009, 17:15
Hope you get well soon Rami.

S~!
Skywolf

Rami
September 25th, 2009, 17:26
Thanks, guys.

Rami
September 26th, 2009, 05:31
Feeling better today, I'm still drinking food at this point...Instant breakfast, Ensure, Jello, and pudding. I'll begin rinsing with salt water this afternoon.

My mouth is still sore, but the oozing is almost gone.

Chacha
September 26th, 2009, 06:23
You will be fine....Eat, Relax, Rest... :applause:

Thanks

Fibber
September 26th, 2009, 07:30
As Chacha said, relax, rest. Don't do anything that will raise blood pressure or cause you to talk excessively. That will only reopen the sores.
You will get to feeling better soon.:wavey:

Rami
September 26th, 2009, 07:35
Would this be a bad time to say that I'll be teaching on Monday, and I'm being observed for my annual state review? Talking won't be something I can avoid.

Right now, according to Erica, I'm the perfect husband...no talking!

Chacha
September 26th, 2009, 07:41
Would this be a bad time to say that I'll be teaching on Monday, and I'm being observed for my annual state review? Talking won't be something I can avoid.

Monday, the wound is already on it's healing stage....

One very good advise is: Be Confident.... Don't be nervous.... You can do it man... :applause:

Be sure you have a bottled water close by...

Rami
September 26th, 2009, 07:46
I don't smoke, that helps.

Rami
September 26th, 2009, 20:25
I brushed my teeth GENTLY tonight (at least not where the extractions were) and rinsed with water, not mouthwash. Furthermore, I also rinsed with salt water three times today, trying not to spit.

No straws or solid foods just yet.

Ghostrider
September 27th, 2009, 15:38
Hi Rami,

Lots of good advice from the fellows here - I'm a dentist, and have taken out plenty of impacted thirds in my time. Main things are: 1. I hope you're not a smoker, but if by chance you are, Do NOT smoke for as long as you possibly can - 3-4 days if you can make it. (I always tell people this is a great time to quit):applause:. 2. Avoid hot (temperature-wise) beverages or liquids for several days. These are the two very best ways to avoid a "dry socket" (fibrinolytic alveolitis) which is the disruption of the blood clot that will form in each surgical site. This condition is excruciatingly painful, and does not respond well to either antibiotics or pain medication. For several days after the extraction, you have to be anesthetized, and have the most foul-smelling stuff imaginable packed into the extraction site on surgical gauze, until healing occurs. As you can imagine, this is no fun at all for either you or your surgeon. DO NOT SMOKE! AVOID HOT FOODS AND LIQUIDS! That said, cold is good -ice cream, milkshakes, but use a spoon, NOT A STRAW! (Dry socket again) Rinse (gently) with salt water - a spoonful of salt in a glass of room temp water a couple of times a day will do the trick, and speed healing. Do not swish or spit forcefully. Yes, tea bags are definitely good if you're bleeding more than expected. Old towel on your pillow is a good move at night - you will bleed, and you will drool. (Yes, even you.) Don't be unduly alarmed if you spit out a mouthful of "blood" which is probably mostly saliva tinged with a little blood. This is very common. With due consideration to your anticoagulant therapy, though - you probably will still bleed more than the next person, even though you have stopped the coumadin, or whatever it is you take. Common sense with re-introducing your normal diet - eat what is comfortable. Take antibiotics as directed until gone, pain meds as necessary. Avoid alcohol. (Doesn't play well with narcotics, thins blood). Use OTC anti-inflammatories (Ibuprophen?) together with Rx narcotics, minimizing the use of the narcotics. You may use some cold packs the afternoon of surgery - 10 min on, 10 off, but this will reduce blood flow to the area, and restrict the ability for meds to get into those tissues, so only use as needed to reduce swelling. As has been said, take it easy physically for a couple of days. You'll do fine. Get some tea bags beforehand - you may need a few. :ernae:

Just read your last - you'll do fine!

Rami
September 27th, 2009, 15:56
Ghostrider,

1) I do not smoke.

2) I did have cream of wheat last night, as well as meatloaf and mashed potatoes (both soft-ish) tonight with no ill effects.

3) I have not used any straws yet, and have been gargling with salt water several times. I also brushed my teeth softly last night and this morning, rinsing with water, not mouthwash.

4) I'm taking Penicillin and Vicodin as directed until Wednesday. I've only had to teabag it once.

The first night I slept with my head elevated, last night I was able to sleep on my back without any ill effects.

Good_2_Be
September 27th, 2009, 18:11
:applause: Glad everything went well :applause:

One last piece of advice....no gritting your teeth while flying CFS2

No straws that sucks (insert rimshot) :sleep:

Seriously though where is Dirty, all these comments about drinking and such and lets not forget the teabaging :monkies:

Ghostrider
September 27th, 2009, 18:12
You will be good to go, my friend! Wishing you a speedy recovery! Continue to be careful though - dry socket usually sets in about 3-4 days post-op. Keep doing what you're doing, and you'll be fine!

Shadow Wolf 07
September 28th, 2009, 15:55
Hope you're feeling better each day Rami!

Rami
September 28th, 2009, 16:00
I am, but I'm also battling a cold, too.

CrisGer
September 28th, 2009, 17:41
Rami, saying prayers for your fast healing, i hope all goes well and you dont have too much pain after. take good care and be very careful of infection. There is a prescriptoin mouthwash that is a strong antiseptic you might consider, i use it twice a day as i have terrible teeth and it has helped a LOT

take good care.

salute

:)

Chacha
September 28th, 2009, 19:43

Right now, according to Erica, I'm the perfect husband...no talking!

How did the annual state review went?

Enjoy it Erica, He will be like that for a few more days....:icon_lol:

Rami
September 29th, 2009, 02:44
Chacha,

I passed with flying colors. I told my students before classes started that I had several teeth pulled and battling a cold, so I didn't want to have to talk loud. They behaved wonderfully.

Shadow Wolf 07
September 29th, 2009, 05:11
Kudos to the kids!:applause:

Chacha
September 29th, 2009, 09:18
Chacha,

I passed with flying colors. I told my students before classes started that I had several teeth pulled and battling a cold, so I didn't want to have to talk loud. They behaved wonderfully.

Congratulations, Sonny Boy! (I don't have a son, so....) :applause: :applause: :applause:

miamieagle
September 29th, 2009, 15:22
I wish you well. My Mother is living with me and my Family and She is very ill. She is taking a lot of my time. I do not mind but that is the reality.

I"am glad you are doing better and I wish you well!:icon29:

Rami
October 1st, 2009, 12:23
I have continued my recovery, but life has added another wrinkle to the mix. My father had a Prostate score of 5 a couple of months ago, and had a biopsy today, hopefully ruling out the possibility of cancer. We won't know the results for five to seven days. I ask for continued prayers and well wishes during this time for my father and the rest of our family.

For those who don't know, my father almost died early last year, and has had to retire from the ministry due to illness. While strong spiritually and mentally, he is physically somewhat frail and would be ill-suited for chemotherapy and radiation, which I pray will not be the case.

Thanks,

Chacha
October 1st, 2009, 13:36
May I ask your Father's name if you don't mind?

Or you can PM me....

He will be in our prayers!!

Rami
October 1st, 2009, 13:46
Gary.

Chacha
October 1st, 2009, 17:04
Gary will be in our prayers!!! :engel016:

Bill Kestell
October 1st, 2009, 17:38
:engel016: Hey, Rami ... count us in too!

Devildog73
October 2nd, 2009, 15:23
Rami, how about his insurance woes? Has that all worked out and going to cover this? You know he is in our prayers and we will let our pastor know to put him in the prayer chain.

Rami
October 2nd, 2009, 15:27
Devildog73,

As of right now, things are stable. I have their insurance restored, that's how dad was able to have the biopsy. The problem is....Mass revenues are lower than anticipated, so the state could be slashing services again. That means I'm crossing my fingers that they survive the next budget slash-a-thon. For that matter, my teaching position might also be in jeopardy, so Erica and I have looked over our budgets, and we're doing okay, thank god.

Fibber
October 2nd, 2009, 16:20
Rami;
Look into Prostate treatments carefully. Chemo is not the only treatment.
My late dad had PC for awhile before his heart gave out. I used to take him for injections that controlled the blasted thing. I believe it was enhanced estrogen shots. At 93 I had to tell him not to jump the fence! :icon_lol:
Ask questions and do lots of research. If I can find my old records for him, I will pass the sites on, but no promises or garuantees .

Rami
October 2nd, 2009, 16:35
Fibber,

His PSA score was five, so I'm holding my breath that the biopsy is negative. I'm not going to think about cancer until we get the results.

miamieagle
October 2nd, 2009, 21:30
Good luck with your father condition!

Fibber
October 3rd, 2009, 06:05
Rami ; you had written "ill-suited for chemotherapy and radiation, " , that is why I mentioned the alternative treatments. It is not all chemo and rads.

Devildog73
October 3rd, 2009, 15:34
My step dad had "seeds" planted in his and came out of it wonderfully. If cancerous, ask the doc about the radioactive seeds implants.

Rami
October 8th, 2009, 12:17
My father has Prostate Cancer in two places, but right now it's in the early stages.

(Stage 1C, I believe) He is talking to his doctors and gathering information to make an informed decision.

He has ten days to decide what to do.

My biggest fears now are for him and their insurance.....lots of prayer and sleepless nights ahead.

PJMack
October 9th, 2009, 01:12
Rami,

I never regret telling my father that I loved him. It may not be easy but it strengthened our relationship before he passed. All the best.:ernae:

Rami
October 9th, 2009, 05:12
Devildog and Fibber,

I found the information on the radioactive "seeds" and he is looking into that as a strong possibility. Thank you for the feedback and information!

Fibber
October 9th, 2009, 07:39
click, click