PDA

View Full Version : OT: replacement xp pro disks

Pepere
September 22nd, 2009, 15:12
Does anyone know how to get a copy of XP Pro OS system disks. My HP had them installed on a protected "D" drive. So protected I can't get to them. Would like to format and reinstall XP. I've look at MS site and HP site with no advail. If you know where please leave a link.. :icon_lol:

David

Chris Sykes
September 22nd, 2009, 15:30
At the guess of it to do a reinstall on a preloaded system you use the recovery disks (if you created them?) or the recovery option... You maybe able to get a cheep set off Ebay or somewhere like that but you may have more issues than you wish for, especially with regards to programms and drivers. You may even void support! You can try to ask HP to send you some recovery disks through the post, as most manufacturers do this, however it may cost a little...

gigabyte
September 22nd, 2009, 15:31
Does anyone know how to get a copy of XP Pro OS system disks. My HP had them installed on a protected "D" drive. So protected I can't get to them. Would like to format and reinstall XP. I've look at MS site and HP site with no advail. If you know where please leave a link.. :icon_lol:

David

David, your best bet is to contact HP tech support, (I know the Push 1 for english ... is a PITA...) and have them send you a replacement set. The HP OEM version includes all of the specific drivers for the devices installed in your system and it makes things soo much easier if you use the genuine HP OEM disk set. I had to do that for my daughter a few months back, she did not make the system restore disks and when her drive failed her dim wit boy friend tried to install using a retail box set - what an unholy mess he made of her system. It took me 8 or 9 hors to clean up after him and I swore I would always make the OEM disks for every system I touched after that. I just had to reformat and install XP Media centre last week for my neice and with the proper system resotre disks it was a snap.

When you do get through to HP just give them your model and serial #, they will likely charge you $20.00 for the disks including shipping but it is money well spent.

harleyman
September 22nd, 2009, 16:02
Yup...

Just what Gigabyte said....

Pepere
September 23rd, 2009, 10:41
Thanks guys! :icon29::guinness:

David

stiz
September 23rd, 2009, 12:05
the laptop i was given a few months back was a HP with a protected drive with vista on it ... if you pressed a key on boot (cant rember which one, Esc or Delete) that then booted the HP drive and let you reinstall vista. Could be worth a look into.

Henry
September 23rd, 2009, 12:09
the laptop i was given a few months back was a HP with a protected drive with vista on it ... if you pressed a key on boot (cant rember which one, Esc or Delete) that then booted the HP drive and let you reinstall vista. Could be worth a look into.
i also have a HP
and that should do the trick
or at least put you back to a clean install
i have vista on mine but i do have a copy of XP
and windws 7
and i probably would not re install vista
H

Pepere
September 23rd, 2009, 18:55
Ordered the disks. $22.00. Mine has a reinstall drive too but I can not access it. I can not even boot in safe mode. Anyway disks are on the way and I'm making a list of programs to reinstall for the system and for FSX. Going to format both dives and install FSX by it's self on the non system drive. Will take me a month of fiddling around to get all back in order. Fun!

David