PDA

View Full Version : FSX SDK help.

Butcherbird17
September 20th, 2009, 20:11
:isadizzy:I need some help trying to figure out why i do not get the TOOLS menu in the dropdown in fsx. I have fsx/accel and have installed the sdk's in the order for my version of fsx, (rtm, sp1a and sp2/Xpack) in that order. I used this guide: http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=SDK_Installation_(FSX) and followed it to the "T" and yet still no tools.
I copied the 3 dll's to the modules folder in fsx (Object_Placement.dll, traffictoolbox.dll and visualfxtool.dll) I have edited the DLL.XML added the correct paths to each dll (made a backup first) to where the sdk is located, also removed the only two addons that are listed in the DLL.XML (FSUIPC and MyTrafficX)and then added each back. Created a new fsx.cfg (added the Trusted edits to new cfg), updated FSUIPC to latest version, made sure that i have .Net v2 installed (comes preloaded with Vista) and still no Tools. Now fsx is not installed in the default location its on my "E" drive, but i installed the sdk to its default location on "C" drive could that be the problem? Should i uninstall and reinstall the sdk to where i have fsx located?
Thanks for any help on this.

Joe

empeck
September 20th, 2009, 21:07
Are you using English version of Windows? If not - try to chance decimal separator on your system from comma "," to point ".".

Meshman
September 20th, 2009, 22:15
Sorry Joe, but thinking about what you say you did is giving me a headache!:isadizzy:

Why did you move the three .DLL files into the Modules folder of FSX?

Just what exactly did you add to the Trusted section of the FSX.Cfg file? Hopefully it doesn't read "Object_Placement.dll.LONGSTRING=1"

Have you edited the corrrect DLL.XML file and can you zip it and attach it here?

Dangerous Beans
September 20th, 2009, 22:15
In the dll.xml as well as editing the paths you might need to edit True to read False in each entry.

Butcherbird17
September 21st, 2009, 05:43
Meshman, I got a headache trying to get it to work. I spent most of my NFL sunday working on it.:isadizzy: I put the 3 dll's into my Module folder to see if fsx would see them, and it was a no go. The dll.xml i edited is the one that resides with the fsx.cfg under "appdata" in vista. This is what i added....

<launch.addon>[Launch.Addon]
Traffic Toolbox
False
False
C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK\traffictoolbox.dll
[/Launch.Addon]
[Launch.Addon]
Visual Effects Tool
False
False
C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Special Effects SDK\visualfxtool.dll
[/Launch.Addon]
[Launch.Addon]
Object Placement Tool
False
False
C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Mission Creation Kit\object_placement.dll
[/Launch.Addon]</launch.addon>

As you can see i added the full path to where the sdk resides. I did all this after i ran the "ConfigSDK.exe" after i installed the sdk, which by the way worked but still no Tools menu in fsx. This has really got me stumped. Next thing to try is a reintall to where i have fsx installed.

Joe

BASys
September 21st, 2009, 06:11
Hi Folks

Joe -
EDIT -
Just reread your O/P

and followed it to the "T"
and yet still no tools.
Obviously not. :icon_lol:

also removed the only two addons that are listed in the DLL.XML (FSUIPC and MyTrafficX)
and then added each back.
If the Tools menu still doesn't load -

Remove all addon entries.
Ensure the MS SDK tools load.
One by one, re-apply your addons, checking each time to confirm the Tools menu is still present.

I've removed other suggestions
until proven failing at basest configuration.

HTH
ATB
Paul

Meshman
September 21st, 2009, 07:04
... This is what i added....

<LAUNCH.ADDON>[Launch.Addon]
Traffic Toolbox

The [ and ] are just there for the forum's desire not to post greater than and less than symbols?

Have you removed the Trusted entries you made to the FSX.cfg file? Then start FSX and check if the Tools menu shows?</PATH>
</LAUNCH.ADDON>

crashaz
September 21st, 2009, 10:57
See here:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=SDK_Installation_%28FSX%29

Look at Section 6

The guys who wrote this know a thing or two about the SDK. :wavey:

Butcherbird17
September 21st, 2009, 13:57
The [ and ] are just there for the forum's desire not to post greater than and less than symbols?

Yes, i added those as the forum dosen't like if i just copy/paste the strings from the xml file, and yes to deleting the trusted entries from the cfg file and removing the dll's from the module folder

I've read and reread that guide and did all the trouble shooting. I uninstalled, reinstalled 3 times yesterday each time cleaning my registry out between installs and yet still no tools menu. I also made sure that the sdk did install right by checking (starting) each tool within the sdk and all worked, but still no tools menu in fsx. Im beginning to think that it just dosen't want me to use it in fsx. Or its time to reinstall fsx from scratch, this install is from when fsx was first released, and the first time i've had any problems with it that weren't caused by me.:icon_lol::mixedsmi::icon_lol:

crashaz, thats the guide i used and the one i've been posting about, now if i could get him to come over to my house maybe he can figure it out for me.:icon_lol::engel016::icon_lol:

Joe

BASys
September 21st, 2009, 14:18
Hi Folks

crashaz,
thats the guide i used and the one i've been posting about,
now if i could get him to come over to my house
maybe he can figure it out for me.:icon_lol::engel016::icon_lol:
Joe -
Ooooo....
Not been to Florida yet.

Are you offering airfare ?

Otherwise
we'll have to stick with sim-out's house.

Click (http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=SDK_Installation_%28FSX%29&action=history) :kilroy:

Please see/respond to my previous post. :icon_lol:
Also no need to reinstall anything, (yet).

HTH
ATB
Paul

Butcherbird17
September 21st, 2009, 15:31
Hey Paul, If money wasn't so tight right now i would offer the airfare. :kilroy:
As for my problem i have removed all my addons within the xml file, started fsx to see if i would get the sdk to show and still nothing (thats with no addons listed) i added the sdk by hand and then started fsx and still no go. Im still wondering if i should remove the sdk from my "C" drive and place it with FSX on my "E" drive. As i stated in first post, i went over all my addons to make sure they are up2date, made sure .Net v2 is installed (i d/led the 64 bit version and ran the installer and it told me that its already installed) and yet i cant get fsx to show the tools menu. For now im leaving it as is as im off to go watch my team get thier butts kicked by P Manning and his Colts.:icon_lol:

Joe

BASys
September 21st, 2009, 15:41
Hi Folks

Joe -
Dang.......
Fancied a bit of sun. :icon_lol:

Some Vista users have claimed that
wrapping their paths in quote marks, "
has worked for them.
e.g.
"C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Mission Creation Kit\object_placement.dll"

Please also download Martin Grossman's ADE Checker (http://www.interkultur.de/gossmann/FSD/ADE-Check.zip)
Run ADE Checker will tell us which components are installed/missing.
Save the report and post it here.

HTH
ATB
Paul

Butcherbird17
September 21st, 2009, 20:52
Paul, Im sure you would like the sun here, plenty of it. :ernae:
Here is the report,

Date of Report: 9/22/2009 12:35:42 AM
Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate
OS Service Pack: Service Pack 2 (2.0)
OS Version: 6.0.6002 (64 Bit)
OS Language: English (United States) => separator: '.'
Nodename: XXXXXXXXXXX
ADE installed: no
ADE Path: ADE not found
ADE Install Version: n/a
ADE File Version: n/a
ADE Info: n/a
FXS installed: yes
FSX Path: E:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\
FSX Version: 10.0.61637.0 (FSX-Xpack.20070926-1421)
FSX Trailing '\' Error: False
FX9 installed: no
FS9 Path: n/a
FS9 Version: n/a
FS9 Trailing '\' Error: False
RTM Simconnect: yes
SP1 Simconnect: yes
SP2 Simconnect: yes
FSX SDK installed: yes
FSX SDK Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\
FSX SDK Trailing '\' Error: False
BGLComp Version: 10.0.61637.0 (FSX-Xpack.20070926-1421)
BGLComp >= SP1: yes
Shp2Vec found: yes
.NET 1.1 installed: yes
.NET 2.0 installed: yes
.NET 3.0 installed: yes
.NET 3.5 installed: yes
XML3 installed: yes
XML4 installed: yes
XML5 installed: no
XML6 installed: yes
FSUIPC/FS9 installed: n/a
FSUIPC/FSX installed: 4.53
Connected to FS9 ok: no
Connected to FSX ok: yes

Now off to see if wrapping the paths with quotes will work.

Joe

ananda
September 22nd, 2009, 08:52
Joe,

What are the permissions on C:\Program Files(x86) ?

Do you as a user have read and write access?

BASys
October 2nd, 2009, 03:20
Hi Folks

Joe -
ADE Checker report looks all ok for the SDK aspects.

Are your SDK tools now available on the in-game menu ?
Did the quote wrapping work for you ?

ATB
Paul

n4gix
October 2nd, 2009, 12:24
Why do folks still use the default paths for FS and the SDK, especially with Vista?

E:\FSX
E:\FSX_SDK

Keep it simple! :ernae:

Butcherbird17
October 2nd, 2009, 14:03
Paul,
Still no luck with the ingame tools menu. I tried the quote wrapping and still no luck. I also reinstalled the SDK to where i have fsx installed and still nothing. As of right now im going thru fsx and uninstalling all my addons (a/c and scenery) back to default, but there is alot of stuff i've added over a year and half now. If i still cant get it going im going to do a fresh install of both fsx and sdk. The good about that is i still have one more activation before i need to call india, and it will load alot faster. :icon_lol::kilroy::mixedsmi: I will post in this thread when i get everything out if it worked before i reinstall the whole thing.

Joe

BASys
October 2nd, 2009, 14:42
Hi Folks

George -
Since your post
Joe's tried installing the SDK to his E: drive.

Might 'read and write access' possibly still be a issue ?
e.g.
Might he be working on a virtualised copy of either fsx.CFG or dll.xml ?

Joe -
Sorry you've not succeeded so far.

You shouldn't need to uninstall FSX
just to get the SDK running.

However
If you're reinstalling from scratch
use Bill's minimal path suggestions.

If not too late,
could you please
zip-up and post your dll.xml as an attachment.

HTH
ATB
Paul