PDA

View Full Version : OK, Auto question....

Wulf190
September 20th, 2009, 15:29
I finally got my van fixed. The fuel pump was replaced because it was only pushing 17 PSi, and the spark plugs, wires, and cap were replaced. But now I noticed that its flooding! Runs rough ar slow speeds or at idle, and take for ever to get up to speed. Engine and auto-transmission are fine. Now it is easy to adjust the mix on a '94 Voyager with a 3.0L engine?

safn1949
September 20th, 2009, 15:56
Can't be adjusted,it's fuel injected.You have another problem...take it to the shop,it's not something you can casually diagnose,more then likely.

Willy
September 20th, 2009, 15:57
If it's like my daughter's old 90 Dodge Dynasty, it's a computer controlled fuel injection system. The computer regulates your mixture based partly on signals from the O2 sensor in the exhaust. Not user adjustable.

safn1949
September 20th, 2009, 17:35
Could be a lot of things,but is probably easy to fix,the hard part is the diagnosis.Just for informational purposes,I was an ASE auto tech in my younger years,so I do know a little....just a little.:d

Wulf190
September 20th, 2009, 17:53
I hope the computer then is not going out. I did not have a power issue before I took it to the shop for the fuel pump, and when I got it back from the shop for the fuel pump It had a horrible power issue. It took forever to accelerate to 40mph, the engine just wouldn't go....and my foot was all the way to the floor.

I took it back with in an hour of getting it. The mechanic said that I needed the tune up. IE head cleaning, wires, spark plugs, distributor head, air filter. I went with the new sparks, wires, and distributor. Its starts fine now, and hasn't threatened to stall out, but I know its running too rich.

N2056
September 20th, 2009, 17:55
For what it is worth...

I had a 94 Voyager with a 3.6L engine. I had a head gasket fail at around 35K miles...did the very expensive water pump a few years ago...watched the paint literally fly off the vehicle as I went down the freeway after several years. I managed to get 12 years out of it before I traded it in for a Toyota Sienna.

I'll never buy a Chrysler/Plymouth product again.

Wulf190
September 20th, 2009, 18:07
I just need this car to last me another year or two at most....

MaddogK
September 20th, 2009, 18:29
Check the fuel pressure regulator- maybe stuck, or blown allowing fuel into the intake via the vacuum line running to it. It woult also cause low fuel pressure. Pull off the vacuum line shortly after you stop the engine and if ANY liquid comes out replace the regulator. It's in the fuel line right on top of the engine IIRC just below the intake 'butterfly'.

Wulf190
September 20th, 2009, 18:37
Well I don't know where those points would be on my car. I'm taking it back to the shop in the morning. I'm getting tired of this. How could something like this happen after fixing all these parts and it not be seen in the shop... I dunno.:gameoff:

MaddogK
September 20th, 2009, 18:46
There is another possibility- on those older cars the ECM 'learned' the proper mixtures for various operating conditions, and now that your fuel pressure is correct, the ECM (computer) has to relearn the mixture curves again. The shop should 'force' the ECM back to it's base mixture curve as part of the repair.

Good plan taking it back.

Tom Clayton
September 20th, 2009, 19:50
If I remember right from my days turning wrenches, disconnecting the battery for one minute should put all the "learned" parameters back to default. Also, check the Check Engine light. If it's not on, you can check the bulb by simply turning on the ignition switch without starting the engine. The light should be on at that point. If it's not, take the van to the nearest parts chain store - most of them will hook up a portable trouble code reader for free, and then recommend all sorts of things to buy if there are any codes present. (And make sure you get the bulb replaced if it is out.)

Wulf190
September 20th, 2009, 19:57
It may be a good plan, but I just hope it doesn't cost me. The check light went on when it flooded out, so at least that 'may' help....

Already this year I have replaced the following:

two thermostats (One in February 09 and another in June 09 when I was having the water pump replaced, the mechanic didn't consult me on replacing the thermostat that before he did it)

O2 sensor (February 09)

Timing belt (July 09)

Serpent belt (July 09)

Water pump (July 09)

Rear brakes (March 09)

Front brakes (September 09)

Spark Plugs (September 09)

Fuel pump (September 09)

Distributor cap (September 09)

as you can see I'm pretty close to a 'new' car.

Sorry if I keep ranting, but I'm just frustrated about it. I did have money saved for a down payment on my first home, but with this car chewing away at it, it looks like I'll be eating top-roman for a bit to get back my savings.....

crashaz
September 21st, 2009, 10:32
ROFL! I go back to the days of saying check the carborator float... may be sticking... tap on it with a screwdriver. That failed... pull off the air horn and check the floats and the needles.:kilroy:

Yeah with the newer ones... O2 sensor would be my guess too. You should also be able to pull trouble codes thru the ALDL interface... lots of auto stores sell the thingamajiggy to pull the codes from Ford, Chrysler or GM models.

MaddogK
September 21st, 2009, 16:03
On that old 3 litre dodge, cycle the key on/off 4 times in 5 seconds (leaving it on) and read the blinks of the check engine light. Newer cars require an OBD2 scanner (unless you got a VW, which can be read with a paperclip)

Wulf190
September 21st, 2009, 23:36
Well I took it in and guess what.....

.... it was the fuel pump....

The folks at the shop swapped it out for a new one , and didn't charge me a red cent. The van runs just fine now. And I want it to stay that way for a while yet!:bump:

safn1949
September 22nd, 2009, 04:41
Good deal,I'm glad it worked out for you.:d