PDA

View Full Version : So while we are talking cameras....

Cloud9Gal
September 20th, 2009, 15:02
I would welcome any suggestions & recommendations pertaining to cameras. http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/symbolic/camera.gif (http://www.thesmilies.com)

I plan on taking a photography class/course in a near future. I was looking at the Nikon D40 to start with? I am willing to spend up to $1500.00 for my "start up" camera.

Thanks guys! http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/happy/veryhappy.gif (http://www.thesmilies.com)

Cazzie
September 20th, 2009, 15:13
You really can't do better than Nikon IMHO C9G, if I did not have the plethora of Pentax lens, I would have gone with a Nikon. Their Nikor lens are unsurpassed except by very expensive Leica cameras.

Caz

Panther_99FS
September 20th, 2009, 15:17
With all the brand loyalty at SOH, I'm going to stay out of this with the exception of one thing....Think availability of lenses when you decide....:mixedsmi:

Panther_99FS
September 20th, 2009, 15:20
I I am willing to spend up to $1500.00 for my "start up" camera.

Thanks guys! http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/happy/veryhappy.gif (http://www.thesmilies.com)

If you're serious here, then also think about the camera's capacity to shoot high ISO shots with minimal noise......

Cloud9Gal
September 20th, 2009, 15:23
With all the brand loyalty at SOH, I'm going to stay out of this with the exception of one thing....Think availability of lenses when you decide....:mixedsmi:

Understood! I will keep that in mind for sure!

Cloud9Gal
September 20th, 2009, 15:24
If you're serious here, then also think about the camera's capacity to shoot high ISO shots with minimal noise......

Yes, I'm serious !

*writing these suggestions down*

Thank you!

Cratermaker
September 20th, 2009, 16:14
I think this is a good read. Sorry, it doesn't answer a lot of questions, but gives you a lot of things to think about when choosing a camera. The questions you didn't know to ask are the ones you will regret not asking before your purchase.

http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Guides/dslr_buying_guide_01.htm

MaddogK
September 20th, 2009, 18:57

I'm pretty sure you can turn off that 'fake' shutter noise.
:P

srgalahad
September 20th, 2009, 19:10
In spite of all the techno-babble ( and serious info) that you'll hear and read, hundreds of pounds and pages of specs, and all the tantalizing testimonials that can surface, remember that a camera is still a tool that you use with your eye and your hands.

In great part, no matter how good the optics and electronics, if it doesn't fit your hands, doesn't feel comfortable and controllable, is too heavy, too large or small, has an awkward viewfinder or unreadable menus (argh!) you either won't feel confident using it, or you'll eventually get tired of the struggle.

I've rejected several cameras over the years because they and I don't "fit". It's like the most exotic car in the world and you can't reach the pedals or see out of the windows...

Once you get a sense of budget vs specs and nail down the components, spend as much time as you can holding, manipulating, handling the various ones. Try focusing each in poor light.. that will show weaknesses that aren't obvious in a bright showroom. Try changing lenses "on the fly" - I found one new DSLR that I had to switch hands and hold sideways to comfortably (and securely) press the lens release button and twist the lens out)... not nice to drop a lens while juggling a change.

Remember that you're investing in a durable item (I still use my Pentax S1a film camera after 40 years for certain things) so it had better "feel right".

Rob

BTW, if there's a good camera store near you, visit and ask questions. They are often staffed with professionals or photo students who will take the time to get it right, as opposed to what you find in most big-box stores. Particularly when it's all new to you, having someone you can walk in and talk to is a lot more helpful and satisfying than trying to solve problems trolling thru websites.

yank51
September 20th, 2009, 19:17
C9G, take a look at this site by Ken Rockwell. He gives good reviews of many of the cameras you'd be interested in, and although he does favor Nikon which I do also. (nothing wrong with that, but others out here will, of course, disagree...:icon_lol:) He also gives links to other sites with great information. The site has much useful informatiion about general camera functions....

http://www.kenrockwell.com/index.htm

Kiwikat
September 20th, 2009, 19:21

;-P

And that's why I went with Canon- the lenses. Really, either Canon or Nikon would be an excellent choice. I'm not too keen on Sony or any of the others though. Make sure to spend some money on a decent body and a nice camera bag. A short focal length zoom as well as a telephoto should be part of a beginner's kit too. For example, I've got the 18-55mm IS as well as the 55-250mm IS. I'm sure Nikon has its equivalents.

For 1500 dollars you can definitely start out on the right track.

P.S. Avoid "Ken Rockwell" :mixedsmi:

Tom Clayton
September 20th, 2009, 19:39
My wife bought hers at Ritz. The service there was pretty decent.

They have several locations in Pittsburg:

http://www.ritzcamera.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/MapQuestView?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&languageId=-1&city=&state=&zipCode=15222

EasyEd
September 20th, 2009, 19:51
Hey All,

Lots of good advice here. I'll echo what SrGalahad said. Feel - be sure it feels good in your hands. You can learn to use something but it should feel good otherwise you may have a hard time getting used to it.

Lenses and accessories count but the major lines Canon, Nikon, Olympus, etc all have pretty good lenses - hard to go very wrong. Get autobracketing - you'll understand why at some point.

-Ed-

kilo delta
September 21st, 2009, 01:25
Congrats on the new hobby C9Gal :ernae:. A class/course is a good idea...but there's no substitute for just going out there and snapping away ... testing out different settings and just enjoying taking pics!
You've also got to ask yourself if you definitely require a DSLR, perhaps a bridge camera would be more suitable for your needs? If you REALLY need a DSLR then any of the main brands will suit. Sr Galahad is absolutely correct in suggesting that you try the feel of the camera body in your hands before you purchase.
There's no need to buy the most advanced and expensive camera body on the market and tbh most people (at least in the case of non-pro's) will never use 100% of a high end camera's features. Instead get a decent mid range body and spend whatever is left of your budget on good quality lenses. Also worth buying some decent UV filters to protect the front element of the lens too.

Snuffy
September 21st, 2009, 03:17
I still have a cannon zeos rebel film 35 ... sorry, not the camera of choice but it was the quickest one I could get my hands on after my nikon took a 3 floor trip from my hands in a concrete stairwell one afternoon.

jmig
September 21st, 2009, 03:28
I still have a cannon zeos rebel film 35 ... sorry, not the camera of choice but it was the quickest one I could get my hands on after my nikon took a 3 floor trip from my hands in a concrete stairwell one afternoon.

You mean??? You couldn't get WARRANTY? :isadizzy:

:icon_lol:

Henry
September 21st, 2009, 05:25
In great part, no matter how good the optics and electronics, if it doesn't fit your hands, doesn't feel comfortable and controllable, is too heavy, too large or small, has an awkward viewfinder or unreadable menus (argh!) you either won't feel confident using it, or you'll eventually get tired of the struggle.

BTW, if there's a good camera store near you, visit and ask questions. They are often staffed with professionals or photo students who will take the time to get it right, as opposed to what you find in most big-box stores. Particularly when it's all new to you, having someone you can walk in and talk to is a lot more helpful and satisfying than trying to solve problems trolling thru websites.

Thats the best info you could get
having worked in a camera store for many years
put one in your hands before you purchase
most good camera stores have staff that shoot pics
all of the time
and will gladly help you decide what is best for you.
Myself i prefer Olympus because of the size
and the format thats just my preference
H

Naismith
September 21st, 2009, 14:29
Anyone got any experience of FUJI DSLR's? They are a lot cheaper than Canon Nikon etc and look quite tempting. My Canon S1 (6 years old) just died and I am loathe to fork out megabucks again for something that will be outdated moments after leaving the store. Not being a pro I don't need pro gear however I like SLR's (big fingers & hate these compacts).

mjrhealth
September 22nd, 2009, 03:32
I Had a fugifilm, took some really nice photos. One thing most cameras dont have is manual focus, which is why i went and bought a canon 1000d. Love it, not overly expensive and the image stabilised lenss graet for tking photos on the move.

Kiwikat
September 22nd, 2009, 07:04
Anyone got any experience of FUJI DSLR's? They are a lot cheaper than Canon Nikon etc and look quite tempting. My Canon S1 (6 years old) just died and I am loathe to fork out megabucks again for something that will be outdated moments after leaving the store. Not being a pro I don't need pro gear however I like SLR's (big fingers & hate these compacts).

You can get a decent DSLR for not a whole lot of money. See the Canon Rebel XS/1000D or Nikon D40. Crop sensor cameras aren't going to become outdated for a really loooong time so you won't have to worry about that.

Motormouse
September 24th, 2009, 01:30
Thought I'd jump in here, I have a Sony (previously known as Minolta) DSLR a200; the 'base' model;
its' way smarter than me,and was a replacement for my old steam driven Practika TL5 (with Zeiss lens); price was a factor in my choice,as were the standard features, which includes an in-camera anti-shake image stabilisation, good for my hands!

I'd agree with the advice re choice of lenses, but remember a DSLR lens is half as good again as its'
non-digital equivalent, due to the in-camera image processing that happens as the image is stored.

ie a 70mm standard digital SLR lens is equivalent to a 100mm non-digital

I have just two lenses at present, standard 18-70, and a 75-300 zoom.

ttfn

Pete

hey_moe
September 24th, 2009, 01:38
I been dealing with these folks for a while, their prices are in line with the rest and they have a huge catalog they mail to ya once ya buy from them.>>>>> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ I use that Canon EOS-D30 and I like it. I brought a few lens and special filters and it has served me well for what I have been using it for,Mike

Henry
September 24th, 2009, 04:53
I been dealing with these folks for a while, their prices are in line with the rest and they have a huge catalog they mail to ya once ya buy from them.>>>>> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ I use that Canon EOS-D30 and I like it. I brought a few lens and special filters and it has served me well for what I have been using it for,Mike
B&H are one of the best online camera stores in my opinion
H

JoeW
September 24th, 2009, 05:06
Does anyone know anything about a Nikon P-80 or a L100? I'm thinking about one of these.
Thanks

Henry
September 24th, 2009, 07:42
Does anyone know anything about a Nikon P-80 or a L100? I'm thinking about one of these.
Thanks
they are imports
no US warranty
H

Naismith
September 24th, 2009, 13:36
You can get a decent DSLR for not a whole lot of money. See the Canon Rebel XS/1000D or Nikon D40. Crop sensor cameras aren't going to become outdated for a really loooong time so you won't have to worry about that.
Tx v much! I opted for a Rebel XS in the end. Went to Sears and got a good price which on Oct 11 they are reducing the price for a couple of days and I will be able to collect a refund of about $40.
Got home with the camera only to find that it didn't come with a data card to store photos on. Bit mean of Canon there I thought not to include at least a small one. Went back to Sears and they sold me a 4Gb card for $17 which was 1/2 price.
Very happy with the camera. Thanks again.

Kiwikat
September 24th, 2009, 19:38
I'd agree with the advice re choice of lenses, but remember a DSLR lens is half as good again as its' non-digital equivalent, due to the in-camera image processing that happens as the image is stored.

I shoot RAW exclusively so that isn't a problem... :ernae:

Kiwikat
September 24th, 2009, 19:39
Tx v much! I opted for a Rebel XS in the end. Went to Sears and got a good price which on Oct 11 they are reducing the price for a couple of days and I will be able to collect a refund of about $40.
Got home with the camera only to find that it didn't come with a data card to store photos on. Bit mean of Canon there I thought not to include at least a small one. Went back to Sears and they sold me a 4Gb card for $17 which was 1/2 price.
Very happy with the camera. Thanks again.

Congrats! Any questions, please feel free to PM or IM me. I believe the XS is very similar to my XSi.

For future reference, always get small things like mem cards, batteries, even flashes and grips at an online store. You can save quite a bit of money that way. For 19 bucks you could get an 8 GB memory card from newegg. If you shoot RAW all the time, you'll want the extra room. You'll probably want to get all of your lenses online too, from places like Amazon, B&H, and Adorama.

Online = savings.

luckydog
September 24th, 2009, 20:14
B&H are one of the best online camera stores in my opinion
H

Yeppers.......if not THE best !! Over the past 15-20 years they've recieved about $25,000 from me for camera / studio equipment......with nary a complaint or return.

Naismith
September 24th, 2009, 23:00
If you shoot RAW all the time, you'll want the extra room. .

Online = savings.

I shoot fully clothed thanx :jump::wiggle::icon_lol:

MaddogK
September 25th, 2009, 21:20
I'm still a film guy (canon A-1) but bought my wife an HP R607 pocket camera a couple years back and tho she hates the small lcd, the weak battery, and the weird 'pop-out' lens I bought it for the ungodly zoom this unit has- 3x optical and 7x digital. With a tripod I can fill the frame with a duck at 500 feet, and saw this unit available today for 50 bucks. As soon as a 10 MP Nikon comes within my price range she's getting a new camera, and I'll take custody of the HP.

...just thought I'd share.

Panther_99FS
September 26th, 2009, 08:12
Speaking of memory cards...
If you plan on doing a lot of burst shooting, I recommend getting one of the faster memory cards with at least 100x write speed or higher...