PDA

View Full Version : RE: Need help,...lost abilty to google or web search

brad kaste
September 19th, 2009, 10:06
Hi All,
This is a new one to me. For some reason now I cannot use the 'google search' engine nor when putting in a web sight name into the Explorer address box,....I get the following screens posted below.
For the most part I use Firefox as my browser. Never a problem. Now,...I might have created the problem myself but not sure. A few days ago I had to 'reset' my computer to an earlier date since McAfee Security suite by Yahoo had gotten corrupted. That didn't help by going back so many days. I had to re-install McAfee again which is now working correctly. But,...now when I try to do a search using google it states Firefox can't connect to the google server. And basically I get the same statement when putting in an address into the explorer address box.
I called an ATnT 'DSL' technician on this. He had me go through various steps that didn't solve the issue. Monday afternoon I'll have an ATnT guy stop by to see if it's their fault or mine. I'd like to resolve the problem,...if possible,...so I can cancel the visit. Any thoughts or ideas what I could do within various settings would be appreciated. Much thanks ahead of time.

safn1949
September 19th, 2009, 10:51
I would assume your anti-virus is causing the problem,it has happened to me in the past.Shut down your McAfee and then try it,if it works,well there you go.Also check your firewall,shut it down and see what happens.You may have to put an exception in your firewall or AV.

srgalahad
September 19th, 2009, 11:37
I don't use Goo as my default search engine (they're reminding me too much of someone else's "we are the world" approach), but I thought I'd try it...
First try, my Firefox stopped responding ( checked Task Mgr and there were a load of services related to my AV running with Firefox stopped). Second try I got a few pages to load and then it all halted again - same stuff in Task Mgr.
After the third screeching halt I decided that Goo and I don't have a future...

It won't surprise me to find Google is trying to load ads, trackers, cookies galore and this gives the antivirus fits. Make an exception in FF for Google? not a chance!

BTW my default search engine is Ask.com and I haven't found it to be lacking.

Rob

OBIO
September 19th, 2009, 12:26
I run FF with Google set as my start up page...and have no problems at all.

Try clearing all cookies, internet history and such. CCleaner is great for that....it erases all that junk from your computer, and simply does not "delete" it and allow it to remain on your HD.

OBIO

brad kaste
September 19th, 2009, 13:51
Thanks guys for all your info input. Hopefully,...I'll be able to fix this situation through your advice and suggestions. Time to get working on it now.........

cheezyflier
September 19th, 2009, 14:06
when i have had this problem in the past, it has always been the firewall.