PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7? Should I leap?

deimos256
September 18th, 2009, 18:28
Today I found out that students can get Windows 7 for only 30 dollars and since my girlfriend is still in college I'm considering taking the leap. beofre I make this decision I have some questions for all the Windows 7 users.

Currently my setup is
Intel Core2 6600 @ 2.4 Ghz
2Gb Ram
Nvidia geForce 8800 GTS 512mb

I noticed 32bit and 64bit versions mentioned, would 64bit benefit me? Also I have read reports of better performance within FSX, my question is are these increases over just Vista or both Vista and XP? I thank everyone in advance for their input. Im trying to find out if this is beneficial for me because installing a new OS is not something i regularly do and before i undertake such a feat i want to make sure its worth it. Again thank you!

N2056
September 18th, 2009, 18:46
Personally I never bite on a new OS until it has been around for awhile and MS has hopefully patched the majority of the flaws it has. Imagine all of the heartache that philosophy has saved me with Vista! :d

XP here, and no reason to change anytime soon! :wiggle:

Mick
September 18th, 2009, 19:05
I know people who bought Vista confuters, then spent more money to have them "upgraded" back to XP.

The guy who runs my local confuter shop told me that anyone who hates Vista will hate W7, because W7 is just a minor update of Vista, much as Millenium was a minor update of W98.

I'm sticking with XP, even if I get a new confuter, even if it means having it custom built.

falcon409
September 18th, 2009, 19:23
Personally, I didn't dislike Vista. . .I never had the problems that I would read ad nauseum on various forums (including here), I had heard that it wasn't as much of a memory hog and since I'm one of those who are easily impressed. . .I went for it.

To be honest, through XP, Vista and now Win7 I don't see much difference. A slightly different look but not so much and as long as it comes on every time I boot up and I can access the sites I'm used to, it's all good. I know a lot of folks would scoff at that and point out all the differences between the OS's past and present, but I don't get into the inner workings of the OS and why it does what it does and what all that coding does and why. I don't care really. As long as I don't have a major glitch I'm quite satisfied and I think you will be too. For a lot of us it really "isn't" rocket science. It's a computer.

N2056
September 18th, 2009, 19:30
Here's something to consider as a flightsimmer....
No Add-On developer has an obligation to make an existing product work on a new OS! If it works you are fortunate. If not, you are S.O.L. unless they decide to make a 'fix' for it. That 'fix' might cost you depending on how involved it is ;)

kjb
September 18th, 2009, 19:56
I have a dual boot system with XP 32 bit and Win7 RC1 64 bit. The Win7 setup is significantly faster with FSX. I plan to keep the dual boot setup, so if Win7 problems arise, I'm still set. With the price of hard drives these days, it's pretty cheap to have the best of both worlds.

spotlope
September 18th, 2009, 20:21
I have to weigh in in favor of W7 as well. Because MS allowed the public to download the Windows 7 release candidate a while back, I've had months to try it out. At first, I figured I'd run W7 on a separate disk and just do a dual-boot, booting into it only to test scenery and maybe fly a little. Within a couple of weeks, I was using it full-time for everything I did. So far, no real problems. And man, it's a whole lot faster than XP on my rig. FSX has never run better.

And this is from a guy who never, ever is an early adopter of OS's. As soon as it's available commercially, I'm in.

Gdavis101
September 18th, 2009, 20:34
I will probably make the jump to the 64 bit version of 7 just to get away from Vista.

Rezabrya
September 18th, 2009, 20:39
You do realize that Win7 is almost a carbon copy of Vista right? It has marginaly better performance and a different look which I frankly don't like. I will be sticking with Vista for quite a long time I think.

spotlope
September 18th, 2009, 20:53
I don't know how it stacks up against Vista, as I never got on that boat to begin with. What I can say is that the jump from 32-bit XP Pro to 64-bit Win 7 is an amazing step up. Probably that's due to the 64-bit part more than anything. Still, me likee.

IanHenry
September 18th, 2009, 22:42
This is a no-brainer to me: get it. I previously run both XP and <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">Vista</st1:place> for FSX and Windows 7 is far better. The only problem that I have had is that the Sibwings Saab Safir will not install. Also make sure that you use the 64-bit version.

SkippyBing
September 19th, 2009, 00:48
You do realize that Win7 is almost a carbon copy of Vista right?

And you're basing that on what? A detailed break down of the source code?

I too installed the Win 7 RC on a second hard drive thinking I'd just play with it occasionally. I haven't booted into XP in months now. The only think I've had snags with is my 8 year old scanner but I can't find Vista drivers for that either so I don't think it's something I can blame on 7, more Canon for not writing drivers.
Bear in mind the main reason for add-ons not working is because the installer isn't set up for Win 7, or 64-bit if you're using it, rather than any problems with FSX in 7.
I'd recommend getting Win 7 for $30 and going the 64-bit route.

hairyspin
September 19th, 2009, 01:10
G'day from another MS sim (CFS3). I run XP Pro and built this rig with Vista/Win7 in mind, so it's two HDs and a dual-boot with Windows 7 64-bit right now.

I hated the UAC sticking its nose in every time I scratched my knee in Vista, so it's turned off in Win7 too. And I know Win7 is really Vista fixed, but I really like it and have the retail version already ordered. It's just so productive to work in and seems to handle more apps open at the same time more slickly than XP - which is really good for development work.

But I will be keeping XP for the forseeable - some of the development tools I use don't run in Vista/Win7 and online multiplayer doesn't yet work in Win7 64-bit for CFS3 (although I'm working on it...), so the dual-boot setup will remain. It seems MS get it right every second time - Win98, XP, Win7...:mixedsmi:

tigisfat
September 19th, 2009, 01:15
The whole vista thing seems to be a myth to me. I here people complain about it, and I think there's more to the picture than simply OS troubles. Vista works just fine for everyone I know. Complaining about Vista was the 'in' thing for a long time.

hey_moe
September 19th, 2009, 01:37
Window 7 is not a carbon copy of any part of Vista, if anybody is saying that you either aren't using it or there is something wrong with your computer. Vista can't touch W7. W7 is way more user friendly,it is faster,uses less resources,starts and shut downs faster,programs open faster and has a great interface.I have shelf Vista permanently this past weekend. As far as I am concerned Vista is a carbon copy of ME....and you know how unstable that was. There is no doubt in my mind W7 will be the replacement for XP from what I am seeing.Are we going to have people knock down W7....yup.....but I don't know why they would because for me even in FSX it run great. I have only had one program that wouldn't load with W7 and that is U3/encrypted password USB.I tried both W7/ 64 ans 32 bit and didn't have one problem installing either one of them.

some1
September 19th, 2009, 02:16
Being a student I'm using Windows 7 RTM as a primary system for about a month or so, I used beta and RC versions earlier only for testing. There's much less difference between 7 and Vista than between Vista and XP, both in how the system look and how it works. Many things were improved and it appears that nothing was broken during development but don't expect miracles. Some games will run slightly faster, some games slightly slower, but that's visible only in benchmarks where you can see tiny differences. I benchmarked the same installation of FSX under Vista and 7 and the results are almost exactly the same.

7 can use drivers that were developed for Vista, so the problem with backwards compatibility with is gone (or at least is not bigger that on Vista which has been 3 years on the market so most recent hardware runs on it without problems). 64 bit windows requires dedicated 64 bit drivers that are signed. Some old and discontinued hardware or specific software may not have such.

You should go for 64 bit system. Again, performance is very similar if not the same in most situations unless you are using 64 bit programs which are not that many now. But it handles memory better and the OOM (Out of Memory) errors in FSX are history. That being said, 64 bit Windows requires several GB more space on HDD and also uses more RAM when running, so 2GB are the required minimum:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7#Hardware_requirements

SirBenn21
September 19th, 2009, 03:32
Window 7 is not a carbon copy of any part of Vista, if anybody is saying that you either aren't using it or there is something wrong with your computer. Vista can't touch W7. W7 is way more user friendly,it is faster,uses less resources,starts and shut downs faster,programs open faster and has a great interface.I have shelf Vista permanently this past weekend. As far as I am concerned Vista is a carbon copy of ME....and you know how unstable that was. There is no doubt in my mind W7 will be the replacement for XP from what I am seeing.Are we going to have people knock down W7....yup.....but I don't know why they would because for me even in FSX it run great. I have only had one program that wouldn't load with W7 and that is U3/encrypted password USB.I tried both W7/ 64 ans 32 bit and didn't have one problem installing either one of them.

DITO here. :gameon:

jimjones
September 19th, 2009, 04:02
The whole vista thing seems to be a myth to me. I here people complain about it, and I think there's more to the picture than simply OS troubles. Vista works just fine for everyone I know. Complaining about Vista was the 'in' thing for a long time.

Two printers and two scanners I own do not work in Vista. Had to buy a new printer for the Vista system and use an old pc to use the scanners and a color printer. That really ticked me off big time.

Other than that I like Vista fine.

deimos256
September 19th, 2009, 05:12
Thanks for all the feedback guys! I think I'm going to make the switch, im considering going for the 64 bit, but it sounds like i would have to get more ram, would 4 gigs total do or should i go higher? Also should I go with professional or home premium?? Thank you for all your input again!

SkippyBing
September 19th, 2009, 05:21
I've got 4 gigs in mine running 64 bit and it's fine, of course you can never have too much and with 64 bit you've at least got the option of adding more at a later date.
I think the main difference between Pro and Home Premium is that the former can do system back ups to network drives and has bit locker encryption if you need it. Personally if there's no difference in price I'd go for the Pro version as it's got everything in if I understand correctly whereas Home Premium is short a couple of features. You may not need them now but who knows when you might?

deimos256
September 19th, 2009, 06:11
so once it get it i guess i would have to wipe my HD and install it clean?

txnetcop
September 19th, 2009, 06:17
That is the only so-called bump in the road because you must start clean, but to be honest I would never just upgrade from one OS to another-too many problems come with it. Windows 7 is not just Vista redeux in strictest sense of the word. The person that told you that has never used it! It has many more features and extremely user friendly. It has also now proven to be faster than Vista in many applications. It really is a great successor to XP Pro which I still dearly love.
Ted

deimos256
September 19th, 2009, 06:38
well i really only use my computer for FSX and perhaps the occasional game on steam. My FSX has been feeling cluttered lately so i wouldnt mind wiping it out and starting from the ground up.

SkippyBing
September 19th, 2009, 06:38
The best solution is probably to get a new hard drive to install Win 7 on, you'll then have all your old files etc on the old drive. That's essentially how I'm running the RC now and it means I haven't lost any of my personal files etc. I can even run some programmes from the old drive which saves re-installing! Obviously it does mean you'll have to pay for a new drive as well which is a consideration but they're not too pricey these days.

deimos256
September 19th, 2009, 06:48
well I already have 2 hard drives and no more room for another, maybe ill get an external one and transfer everything onto that. All I really need is my music and FSX addons.

orionll
September 19th, 2009, 11:30
Another vote for Windows 7 64 bit here!

Been running it since the Beta and got the final version about a month or so back from TechNet and it's running great :)! RAM usage is down, performance is up, the GUI is much nicer, and there's probably a lot of other good stuff I forgot to mention. Even works well on an old IBM Thinkpad X31, which originally ran XP.

harleyman
September 19th, 2009, 12:40
well I already have 2 hard drives and no more room for another, maybe ill get an external one and transfer everything onto that. All I really need is my music and FSX addons.

Velcro a HDD onto the bottom of the case.... Just leave room underneath for air movement...(create a tunnel under the HDD)

deimos256
September 19th, 2009, 13:21
Velcro a HDD onto the bottom of the case.... Just leave room underneath for air movement...(create a tunnel under the HDD)

hahahaha i was tossing that idea around, gotta check if i have a free connection from my power supply, also i wondr if my power supply can handle it.

scott967b
September 19th, 2009, 13:56
I'm thinking I would like to get a 5" drive bay for a removable SATA caddy so I don't have to go dual-boot.

My understanding is that in Vista/Win7 64 MS locked down the drivers so that they can't be hacked to bypass DRM.

I you are going to compare XP to Win7 performance I think you need a clean, fresh install of both or it isn't really a comparison.

The way Vista/Win7 handle the desktop is far superior (in theory anyway) from the antique way XP does. Execution of course is always an unknown.

scott s.

UKMIL
September 20th, 2009, 00:56
I have placed Win 7 on both my Laptop and desktop, in both x86 and x64 versions and have to say, it runs a whole load better than Vista ever did. :ernae:

d0mokun
September 20th, 2009, 03:33
I've got a 5 year old P4 laptop that runs better with Win7 than my workstation does on Vista.

TeaSea
September 20th, 2009, 05:19
I for one will move to Win 7.0 as soon as practicable. I am not one of those "Vista is evil" bandwagon guys, but I've been disappointed in many aspects of it's performance.

I think the problem with Vista is like many MS products it's an attempt to be all things to all people. That makes it fat and unwieldy at times. The "road to hell being paved with good intentions" factor of the security measures are particularly frustrating. That being said, I have not felt the issues were bad enough to go back to XP.

I'd like to have participated in the "Beta" testing, but at this point I did not have a machine I could dedicate to it, and was unwilling to try dual OS's on the system my wife uses for business.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how the new OS works out.

pilottj
September 20th, 2009, 08:52
through the MSDNAA program at the college I have access to many MS products, I got Win7 Pro 64, upgraded from XP. I have to say it is quite a nice system, it really helps FSX. I highly recommend upgrading to the pro version if you have a lot of old XP only devices. Pro and higher versions of win 7 have an 'XP Mode' virtual computer that allows you to run all your old XP stuff. :) I can still use my old lexmark printer. My girlfriend has Vista on her computer and after having to troubleshoot errors on hers, 7 is a far superior OS. And if you prefer the old 'look' you can make your windows 7 have the win98/2k 'look'

Cheers
TJ

Bjoern
September 20th, 2009, 09:56
Win 7 Pro x64 here and happy with it.