PDA

View Full Version : Attention Netherlands East Indies-philes

MaskRider
September 18th, 2009, 16:23
I am building Boela oil installations and airfield on Ceram Island- need an assist!

Prior to and during the war- and even today- Boela "harbor" sported a series of very unusual oil drilling jetties. I currently have three images of Boela that show the jetties- two images from The AWM and an overhead shot from Google earth.

But I would love to see a little more detail on the jetties in particular and the overall harbor layout in general- especially during the war.

Even the existance of an airfield at Boela during the war is a bit in question. There is certainly one there now- kinda cheesy looking- might be the original, I don't know. And I can find plenty of references about strikes being flown against the oil installations and airfield at Boela.

So, I was wondering if any of you Netherlands East Indies types could lend a hand. Images, maps, diagrams or written material would be welcome.

Cheers,
Chris

Devildog73
September 18th, 2009, 18:52
MR, try this: http://www.90thbombgroup.org/viewbda.htm

I signed their guest book and sent an email to one of their photographers that flew with the Jolly Rogers during the time.

dvslats
September 19th, 2009, 04:49
Hey There Chris, I have a pack of info similar to what you have plus a couple of more pics of the time period airfield and a map. This was put together a couple of years back when I was going to take a shot at it, but it was a little too ambitious for my skills. :icon_lol: Especially using the stock mesh. I use to have a bookmark from a Netherlands Tankers and Freighters (1930's era) ships web page. It had good views of the piers and the oil storage locations. The storage areas were north and north west of the bay.
I'll email you what I have and possibly retrace the path that got me to that web page. Fingers crossed.
Dave

Devildog73
September 19th, 2009, 16:17
Hey Chris, I got an email back from the photographer for the 90th Bombers. He said he does not have any photos any longer and he was actually NOT on the raids on Ceram. So even if he had all of his originals, they would not have been of use to us for Ceram.

Since I am working the Bong/Lynch/McGuire flights from that area, I will continue to keep my eyes open for stuff you need.

DD

MaskRider
September 19th, 2009, 17:33
Thanks for the help guys. I've had some positive results. dvslats was able to provide a very useful image- an image that I actually already had but was totally unaware of what it was- other than it was some place on Ceram.

The first image below is the original.

The second is the same image flipped right side up and overlaid on top of Google Earth image. This is what the original airfield looked like- two runways.

I am still playing with the river- it changed course since the war- but I think I can get the wartime river course doped out from the recent photo.

My thanks to dvslats. However, DD anything else would be greatly appreciated!

I would really like to find a close up of one of those rigs on the jetties. Apparently, from what I can see- each pumping location on a jetty consisted of an oil rig/pump and a fuel line (much like what we used for underway refueling) running to a oil barge that swivels with the tide at the foot of each rig.

Cheers,
Chris

sc7500
September 20th, 2009, 07:38
MR, please check your HOME email for info and photos...

SC
:kilroy:

dvslats
September 20th, 2009, 22:54
Hi MR,
I was able to locate the web site from a few years back but boy has it changed! Thousands and I means thousands of photoshave been added to their archive. Spent an hour or so looking around and have to admit, I'm lost. Can anyone here write or speak Dutch? :blind: I can't.
I'll throw in the link for the adventurous ones.

http://kitlv.pictura-dp.nl/index.php?option=com_memorix&Itemid=28&task=result&searchplugin=timeline&ThemeID=16&title=1901-1950&rpp=12&cp=1

Really I think the clue here would be the correct name/names to use in the search bar. I've tried all of the common English ones. Going page by page equals over 25,000 photos.
For now that is the best I can do on that one Chris. Might have to go Artistic License on the questionable. :ernae:
Dave

MaskRider
September 21st, 2009, 09:01
dvslats,

Thanks!

That is a fascinating website! I think I have a handle on the search method. It seems that the search parameters are categorized in the same order/fashion as the image information window that opens when you pause your cursor on a thumbnail image. In particular the keywords work well. I found that entering petroleum as a keyword worked fine. Didn't come up with any pics of Boela, though. However, I did notice that a key word that shows up in some of the "petroleum" seach results images is the name of the company that ran the oil fields at Boela- the name escapes me at the moment- some Dutch name. So, when I get around to it I will run a search using that company's name as a key word.

Very cool web site.

I am putting the finishing touches on Ceram-Amahai and will soon turn my full attention to Ceram-Boela.

Cheers,
Chris

Ceram-Amahai

crashaz
September 21st, 2009, 11:02
Phew! The Master again at work!!:applause:

Jagdflieger
September 21st, 2009, 11:52
Amen to that brother Crash.

kdriver
September 22nd, 2009, 10:41
Hi Chris,

Here are some present day shots of Boela, Ceram, or Bula, Seram as it is now known. Unfortunately the original derricks appear to be long gone. They may be of some use regarding ground textures.

Kevin

MaskRider
September 22nd, 2009, 11:40
Thanks very much Kevin!

Are these personal photos? If so is there a way for me to get larger versions of them- particularly the bottom image looking south at the jettys themselves with the town and hills behind them?

Thanks.
Chris

kdriver
September 22nd, 2009, 11:51
I just got these pictures from Google/Images. As you are probably aware, nothing much comes up when you type in the old Dutch spelling. When I used the modern Indonesian spelling, Bula, quite a lot of websites appeared. That last photo is the actual size. I could not find any old images.

MaskRider
September 22nd, 2009, 12:24
Found one!

safn1949
September 23rd, 2009, 10:59
I moderate another forum and a couple of my fellow mods are Dutch,one young man is very fluent in both English and Dutch so if you tell me exactly what you are looking for,I will see if he can find it for you.:USA-flag:

dvslats
September 23rd, 2009, 11:49
Hi safn1949, If you could, can you find out the wording for WW II or the long version World War II.
Thanks for this offer, Dave

BTW, that's a nice find on the jetties guys. :ernae:

Fibber
September 23rd, 2009, 12:43
MR;
is this the name" Royal Dutch Company for the Working of Petroleum Wells in the Dutch Indies"

MaskRider
September 23rd, 2009, 14:15
Hi Fibber,

As far as I can discern the following are the three major Dutch companies that developed the oil resources in pre war Dutch East Indies:

Nederlandsche Koloniale Petroleum Maatschappij

Nederlandsche Indische Aardolie Maatschappij

Bataafsche Petroleum Maatschappij

From what I can glean it was the third company, Bataafsche Petroleum Maatschappij, that worked the Ceram-Boela oil fields.

Here is a link to a book preview- heavily digested- called Mining the Netherlands East Indies by Alex L. ter Braake (http://books.google.com/books?id=sMzIttxRrIwC&pg=PA59&lpg=PA59&dq=netherlands+east+indies+steamships&source=bl&ots=GR4bdfdzwc&sig=_5muvtDdUZFNkia_k2hAcy1TQXM&hl=en&ei=H2G1SsGnJILssQP1waSeDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9#v=onepage&q=&f=false). This info is on page 71 under the "Oil" section.

Chris

I haven't yet done any googling on these names. However I have made a dent on Boela/Bula. Got the coast line drawn in and a couple of rivers and the airfield location just "sketched" in. So far I have only done the stubs of the jettys. Still needs much work. Major LC rework needed. Fun!

Chris

Fibber
September 23rd, 2009, 14:35
MR;
Did you receive my message about a site where a member was a photographer for the RAAF and says he has many photos of the air raids he was on in that area? Look at the post I did of "RAAF WW2 photos".

safn1949
September 23rd, 2009, 15:03
Hi safn1949, If you could, can you find out the wording for WW II or the long version World War II.
Thanks for this offer, Dave

BTW, that's a nice find on the jetties guys. :ernae:
Tweede (2e) Wereldoorlog or WO2 is probably what they're looking for,says my friend.I hope this helps.

MaskRider
September 23rd, 2009, 15:06
MR;
Did you receive my message about a site where a member was a photographer for the RAAF and says he has many photos of the air raids he was on in that area? Look at the post I did of "RAAF WW2 photos".

Just got it. Heading on over. Thanks!

MaskRider
September 23rd, 2009, 15:18
Whoa!! Those pictures are awesome! WOW! Perfect. Is there a scenery object making volunteer standing by to make one of those oil rig/barge contraptions? Or those revetted/bermed Oil Storage Tanks?

Very cool.

safn1949
September 23rd, 2009, 15:38
Check here,I searched using my friends translation.http://kitlv.pictura-dp.nl/index.php?option=com_memorix&Itemid=28&task=result

MaskRider
September 23rd, 2009, 16:43
Look at the post I did of "RAAF WW2 photos".

Can you send me a link to that thread? I can't find it. Are you under the same username as here?

MaskRider
September 23rd, 2009, 16:49
Check here,I searched using my friends translation.http://kitlv.pictura-dp.nl/index.php?option=com_memorix&Itemid=28&task=result

Yes this is a good site- very interesting. Haven't yet found any pics of the Boela/Bula area though.

Thanks,
Chris

Fibber
September 23rd, 2009, 17:20
MR;
Here is the location of the other post and pictures

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=23210

MaskRider
September 23rd, 2009, 17:27
OK, yeah, I saw those pictures over at the Aussiephoto site. I thought there were more of Boela.

I think I will do as you suggest and send Keith/"Beankay" an email and see if he has any more photos of Boela he'd be willing to share. Those are really nice.

Thanks,
Chris

MaskRider
September 23rd, 2009, 19:32
Hey fibber. I screwed up.

I sent a PM to Keith, letting him know that I was interested in any more photo's he may have of Boela. In order to send him a PM, I needed to post 5 post. So, I went around and posted 5 posts oohiing and awing about his photos. Then I sent Keith a PM. Well, understandably I got a slurry of PMs from the web site admins over there all about copyright infringements, permission and lack thereof and the need to remove any of Keith's photos for which specific permission from Keith was not in hand. So I took down the two images I posted and thought I would give you a heads up to do with as you wish.

Cheers,
Chris

CrisGer
September 24th, 2009, 19:08
found a pic on Pacific Wrecks, of the docks, this may help as it shows some of the actual installations and is a pic from the raid.

http://www.pacificwrecks.com/provinces/indonesia_moluccan_ceram.html

if you enlarge the pic you can see a lot of detail.

MaskRider
September 25th, 2009, 18:53
Making progress on Boela- slowly but surely.

My main hang up so far is thew size of the harbor itself. The oil jettys are very narrow and do not lend themselves real well to VTP1 or LWM poly modeling. Their detail just doesn't translate well using VTP1 or LWM poly modeling. Ideally what would really be great are some jetty/causeway object components from which these jettys could be built.

Anybody interested??? :d Please!

Here are a couple 'o screenies of the current state of affairs. Very rudimentary.

MaskRider
September 26th, 2009, 17:10
Uno mas screenie

dvslats
September 26th, 2009, 18:35
Hi Mask, a couple of years back I experimented with Xaviers breakwaters. For the most part they looked pretty good, except for the height and due to the fact that they are breakwaters...no contours. I think he made these with Easy Object Designer.
Having looked into Mathias's program I haven't seen any features that allow for partial radius in a project.
Gmax could do it...know anyone proficient with it? Maybe slip 'em a C note. :kilroy:

MaskRider
September 26th, 2009, 19:55
Hi Mask, a couple of years back I experimented with Xaviers breakwaters. For the most part they looked pretty good, except for the height and due to the fact that they are breakwaters...no contours. I think he made these with Easy Object Designer.
Having looked into Mathias's program I haven't seen any features that allow for partial radius in a project.
Gmax could do it...know anyone proficient with it? Maybe slip 'em a C note. :kilroy:

Yep, tried X's breakwater- big and small they just don't work.

I also tried the cement piers (forget whose??) they almost work but still a bit too bulky.

What I am thinking of doing is using Lindsay Watt's causeway macros.

They are scalable and considerably lengthy- one wouldn't need lots of them per jetty. Just a couple.

In that one photo- ooops it was one of the ones we had to delete because we didn't have permission to post it here. Here is a link to the photo (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20682&stc=1&d=1222867245)- hope fully this will be OK. :confused:

Do those look like wooden piers over rock jettys to you or what?

WRT
Maybe slip 'em a C note Wash your mouth out with soap!:d

Cheers,
Chris

MaskRider
September 26th, 2009, 22:07
Playing with these wooden piers. I'm liking them.

dvslats
September 27th, 2009, 01:17
Playing with these wooden piers. I'm liking them.

Hey by golly...I think you've got something there. Those look downright upright. Nice! :applause:

Dv

MaskRider
September 27th, 2009, 09:08
Couple o' more screenies. Unless some kind soul comes up with some location specific objects I will probably end up going with soothing very close to this for the jettys at Boela.

I added what passes for the little utility barges that sit next to each rig. Mine are nothing but nice targets- one of Pen32win's LCTs with an LW Oil tank sitting on deck.

In reality, as far as I can tell from pictures of other facilities I have "examined", these barges carried a large diesel fuel tank and pump which is what supplied the juice to push the oil thru the pipes running under the piers, back to the shore and into storage tanks.

Still need a little tweaking to the LC. I actually tweeked the WC on this one too. I brought the deep water much closer into shore.

Cheers,
Chris

Ghostrider
September 27th, 2009, 14:14
Looking great, MR! Thank you once again for lending your time, energies, and talents to our hobby!

wolfi
September 27th, 2009, 14:39
during looking for pictures of the oil jetty's, I found this site with interesting pictures, but no oil jetty's.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/27260/27260-h/27260-h.htm

-did you have an idea about the size of the jetty's? as I see from the pic's you posted, each jetty has the oil drill and a pump station. a easy to realize model, I just need the size it should have.
I have a litle time left this week so I can build it

MaskRider
September 30th, 2009, 13:37
Great web site Wolfi! Thanks for sharin'!

And thanks for the interest in perhaps making jetty scenery object components. I will send you a packet of photos that will perhaps give you better I idea of the sizes plus I will give you the dimensions from within the scenery I am making.

Please PM me with your email!

Thanks again,
Chris.

Here is screenie of current rudimentary state of affairs.

dvslats
October 1st, 2009, 01:39
Woooah, looking sharp Mask. Better then I had imagined it. Some kool night lighting too. I've always liked those little enhancements. :)

Also, a heck of a nice offer there wolfi. Most of the scenery additions would look pretty sterile without yours and others work. :ernae:

Dv

MaskRider
October 1st, 2009, 05:57
Also, a heck of a nice offer there wolfi. Most of the scenery additions would look pretty sterile without yours and others work. :ernae:

Dv

A BIG AMEN to that!

MaskRider
October 1st, 2009, 23:45
Its coming. Should be pretty cool on completion. Here are a few more screenies. I have the jettys about as good as they are going to get using currently available scenery objects and my constrained VTP1 poly making abilities.

Not many trees or scenery objects yet and the airfield is just roughly "painted" in.

I'm pretty satisfied with the LandClass 'repaint'.

Cheers,
Chris

kdriver
October 2nd, 2009, 07:22
Brilliant Chris! :applause::applause::applause:

Bill Kestell
October 2nd, 2009, 11:26
Excellent !!!! Just excellent !!!!

MaskRider
October 2nd, 2009, 15:10
Thanks guys. It will be a while before I release this Boela. I am going to move on to Buru-Namlea real quick before putting some finishing touches on Boela.. That will finish up the 4 airfields I plan to make that center in and around Ceram Island: Buru-Namlea, Ambon-Laha, Ceram-Amahai and Ceram-Boela.

Arndt
October 3rd, 2009, 04:54
Looks splendid Chris, beautiful scenery ! :jump:

Jagdflieger
October 3rd, 2009, 11:44
Yes, looks great. I look forward to its release.

wolfi
October 14th, 2009, 13:44
A first picture of the barge.

CrisGer
October 14th, 2009, 13:53
wow, wonderful Chris, and thanks so much Wolfi for your helping ...both your sceneries are such an asset for the sim in so many ways.

MaskRider
October 14th, 2009, 15:19
Fantastisch Wolfi!

Looks jes like the real thang!

Thanks, very much.

BTW these new Boela inspired scenery objects are entirely Wolfi's effort! I am just lucky to be along for the ride! :guinness:

Chris

miamieagle
October 14th, 2009, 16:46
WoW!:ernae:

Jagdflieger
October 14th, 2009, 17:58
Thanks to both of you!

wolfi
October 15th, 2009, 04:00
the main model is almost ready,next I have to do the multilod and damge model

wolfi

MaskRider
October 15th, 2009, 06:55
Wolfi, that is spectacular! It is like watching history come to life. Very, very cool!

Those barges I think were very unique historical contraptions made to fit the oil pumping conditions of this part of the Dutch East Indies.

It will be a thrill to wheel in over the harbor at Boela and make a run at your oil rig barges!

I can envision mission and scenery makers tucking them away up little river estuaries and such- waiting patiently to be strafed and bombed! Hehe. Fun.
:ernae:

Thanks
Chris

wolfi
October 15th, 2009, 10:47
Is there an airport nearby for the defence team? :wiggle:

wolfi
October 15th, 2009, 10:58
here are the final model's

main model, multilod 1 and multilod 2

wolfi

oldwheat
October 15th, 2009, 11:22
Is there an airport nearby for the defence team? :wiggle:

Perhaps a seaport for Rufes & Rex's.

MaskRider
October 15th, 2009, 11:38
Is there an airport nearby for the defence team? :wiggle:file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Chris/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg
Perhaps a seaport for Rufes & Rex's.Yes, there is an airfield and several water start points for FB type aircraft.

dvslats
October 18th, 2009, 02:03
Beautiful job on the barge wolfi! :icon29: or :guinness:
With your scenery objects and Maskrider's layout skills, Boela will finally be done with an outstanding level of detail and accuracy.
Thanks for doing this!

Time to start hunting through my hanger for a proper A-20.

MaskRider
October 18th, 2009, 09:59
I use the old FDG A-20 with one of Peter Haley's RAAF Skins.

wolfi
October 18th, 2009, 11:26
OK, here is something for testing! the barge with the oil rig is ready, I still have to tweak the file a litlebit, but the object is ready and destroyable. By the way, during the compiling to bgl process I found out that with a little scasm code I can do much bigger and more detailed destroyable object's.

wolfi

MaskRider
October 18th, 2009, 14:32
Oh, yes, Wolfi. The barges are very satisfactory indeeed! Hehe!:ernae:
Thanks!

And they are extremely easy on the FPS- much better than those contraptions I had cobbled together. Wow! Wonderful!

Now a few screenies from a little mission I call "Run on Boela". It goes something like this:

sc7500
October 18th, 2009, 15:03
Nice Work, Wolfi !

Amazing what can be created in a short amount of time, eh ? :icon29:

SC
:kilroy:

MaskRider
October 18th, 2009, 20:59
OK, here is something for testing! the barge with the oil rig is ready, I still have to tweak the file a litlebit, but the object is ready and destroyable. By the way, during the compiling to bgl process I found out that with a little scasm code I can do much bigger and more detailed destroyable object's.

wolfi

The detail of the destroyed objects is really spectacular Wolfi!

I attach a few more screenies so everyone can see and appreciate the beauty of the carnage and destruction! :ernae:

This stuff is well worth blowing up!

Wulf190
October 18th, 2009, 21:19
Dang Mask, you really pounding those points to dust!

CrisGer
October 18th, 2009, 21:22
wow is all i can say. :)

egypt23spitfire
October 19th, 2009, 03:19
............great "bang bang shootem up" WOLFI :medals:
...............:ernae:thanks, lovely work:ernae:

sc7500
October 19th, 2009, 09:59
Chris / Wolfi; In your research, did you find what actually RAN those oil pumps ?

I'm contemplating the addition of steam or smoke extra FX near the "engine"...

Which would allow for even MORE spectacular destruction.... visually.

Heh Heh...
SC

MaskRider
October 19th, 2009, 12:09
Chris / Wolfi; In your research, did you find what actually RAN those oil pumps ?

I'm contemplating the addition of steam or smoke extra FX near the "engine"...

Which would allow for even MORE spectacular destruction.... visually.

Heh Heh...
SC

Ah, yes, there must have some sort of steam boiler or diesel tank tucked away in that barge someplace- just waiting to blow up. Yes indeed.:d

erufle
October 24th, 2009, 02:46
I really look forward to the release of these areas for my new "Super PTO" installation. Can you give us an update and projected release date oh masked man? :icon29::icon29::icon29:

Devildog73
October 24th, 2009, 03:05
Hey guys! Leave some of them thar targets for the rest of us to blow up! It just ain't fair that you get to have all the fun before you even let us get our engines warm enough to go wheels up!:173go1:

wolfi
October 24th, 2009, 03:24
I can say that I’m going to make a few more object’s for this scenery as soon I have my new PC complete with all programs I need.

wolfi

erufle
October 24th, 2009, 04:33
I can say that I’m going to make a few more object’s for this scenery as soon I have my new PC complete with all programs I need.

wolfi

Do we need to take up a collection for you? Your efforts would be worth it and are well appreciated.

:medals::medals::medals:

wolfi
October 24th, 2009, 06:06
Do we need to take up a collection for you? Your efforts would be worth it and are well appreciated.

:medals::medals::medals:

nope, have it always together, but haven't the time to install all programs because I have a dual boot system, so I have to install all programs twice.

wolfi