PDA

View Full Version : A Special Thanks to an Amazing Soul

Lionheart
September 18th, 2009, 08:27
I would just like to thank Bill Leaming for all he has done. Not just for me but everyone that he has helped, from small time developers (like me) to Aces, to even the general public...

We very rarely take a moment and thank someone for all the help they have done for us, and I would like to take time out to give thanks to Bill for all he has done for me.

In such a business, it can be so difficult getting one single item to work. Bill rescued me on countless occasions. You see, you could be close to launching and suddenly have one single item go wrong that will hold you up for weeks. But Bill would have an ansere that would save me tons of time, days of scratching my head, trying to figure something out...

Did you know that when I first started out in Gmax (actually the third time), that I quit! I mean I was going to quit quit quit Gmax for good. I had tried for a full week, full time hours, day and night, trying to get my textures to show up in Gmax. I couldnt make it work! I had done every tutorial, everyone had given me advice at the forums. I was at witts end. I was getting violent at home, smashing a couple of keep sakes because of all my built of frustrations. Finally, when facing the end of the path of learning Gmax, when I was ready to face peace rather then another day of Gmax torment, Bill showed me the light. "Bill, did you click on that blue and white checkered button in the Material Editor?"

Voila! I cried I was so happy. A solid week, full time, waking up at 2AM to try new idea's to get those textures to show. From 8AM into the night.... The war was over, and victory was mine because of a helping soul.

He showed me how to map planes. Once, he mapped a 'multi-material' to my Trinidad fuselage to show me how its done. Who takes out the time to do something like that? No money... When I was learning gauge code to make my Garmin system, (no one could make it for me so I had to take it on myself), Bill showed me how to write the code strings, putting the different symbols where they needed to go, how to think 'outside' the box and find alternative ways for things to work (in gauge code). He has helped me with idea's for my various strange inventions that I was constantly coming up with for FS, like my iPhone and a sound system with music, making sounds to work with certain items, etc. Even just to check a code to see why it wasnt working. He could always spot the missing 'space' or the wrongly placed symbol, etc.

From scenery (churches, buildings, etc), to aircraft texturing, to working in Gmax, to gauge 'night illumination soft glow' complete with tutorials, to multi-material mapping, to C++, to testing.... This person has helped soooooo many people. He even was requested to go to Aces in Seattle (makers of FS) to work with them for a week. He was responsible for convincing FSX to go with the illuminated gauge textures in the FSX update so we could once again have gauge lighting.

He has helped small people, great companies, and even the creators of FS themselves.

I salute this person. FS would not be what it is today without him...

Awesome work Bill! You are amazing man.... Thanks for the heads up on the blue and white button. Thanks for helping all of us....

:applause: :medals: :applause:

Bill
LHC

PutPut
September 18th, 2009, 08:31
Amen!!!!!!:medals: :medals:

Paul

Chacha
September 18th, 2009, 08:31
What a beautiful soul!

:engel016: :engel016: :engel016:

Thank God for Bill Leaming!

mike_cyul
September 18th, 2009, 08:43
Absolutely. Thank you, a million times. :applause::medals:

Mike

jdhaenens
September 18th, 2009, 08:53
I'm a card carying member of the "Fr. Bill has helped me out" club as well. Thanks Bill!

Jim

Shane Strong CYHZ
September 18th, 2009, 09:10
a great FS figure :) thanks for all your work

falcon409
September 18th, 2009, 09:13
I've never heard of him, but with that glowing testimonial from Bill. . .he is an amazing individual.:ernae:

HippyEd
September 18th, 2009, 09:29
Yep. You see his work in a lot of things. He's helped FS fans for a lot of years.:applause:

Lionheart
September 18th, 2009, 09:32
I've never heard of him, but with that glowing testimonial from Bill. . .he is an amazing individual.:ernae:

Ed,

You can find some of his wild 'tricks of code' in the Eaglesoft aircraft lines. He is their main gauge guy and has developed tons of panels and gauges while being on that team. One of his gauge tricks is if you click on the 'landing gear retract level' while on the ground, a voice says 'Do that again and you'll be written up!'

Some really advanced technologies that he has brought into the FS world...

Ztimbre
September 18th, 2009, 09:46
I'm a card carying member of the "Fr. Bill has helped me out" club as well. Thanks Bill!

Jim

I'm a member! Fr. Bill has helped me on numerous occasions, and probably didn't even know it. I don't post much, but do a lot of scenery design (and a few aircraft). His excellent advice, especially regarding gmax, has saved me much frustration.

It takes a special kind of person to not only master something that is very difficult, but then to share that knowledge with others (often repeatedly answering the same questions from frustrated newbs). There is much in the FS world that simply would not exist without his generosity.

:ernae:

wantok
September 18th, 2009, 09:47
Bill (aka Fr. Bill), is an amazing genius in my book. He helped me prep my scenery development ambitions from my humble beginnings in May 2008. His unselfish yet relentless knack to help others help themselves is simply exceptional and honorable to say the least. Visit various forums here and there and just count the amount of post and you wouldn't believe that most, if not all are about helping others.

You are a true hero, Sir.:applause::applause:

Henry
September 18th, 2009, 09:56
That is one of the reasons
i love this community
there are some extra special people out there
who help us all
H:applause::applause:

Bjoern
September 18th, 2009, 10:22
I like Bill. He's kind of a walking typing encyclopedia when it comes to modeling for MSFS.

Bill, if we ever get to meet outside the internet, I'll be buying you a beer! Especially for sending me those drawings of the 328's landing gear. :d

Rock on, Mister Leaming!

harleyman
September 18th, 2009, 10:29
Three cheers to Bill Leamings.....:monkies:

Lionheart..What a well thought out and wonderful thing you have just done....You too my friend belong in the company of Bill L. :wavey:

ananda
September 18th, 2009, 10:46
Bill Leaming is the saving grace for all of us starting out on the rocky GMax trail. :medals:

Chuck_Jodry-VJPL
September 18th, 2009, 10:49
If there were a designers choice award for MVP in FS design FR Bill would be the first name on the list every year , working with him has provided
some of the best moments i have spent on msn , and our chats have proved him not only " worldly " but as down to earth as is possible .

All the Best Bill , C.J

wilycoyote4
September 18th, 2009, 11:13
That is one of the reasons
i love this community
there are some extra special people out there
who help us all
H:applause::applause:
Agreed :medals: It's that spirit that makes and keeps this flight simulation worthy. We need more of such people.

paiken
September 18th, 2009, 11:18
The good Fr. Bill is one of the main reasons I decided to start fiddling around with gmax. His tutorials and his helpful hints in the forums (this is only one of several he hangs around in), made it all "click". He is an inspiration to many, many people.

Sundog
September 18th, 2009, 11:50
Yeah, Bill has been a great help to myself and Ed at Plane Design. I think I first ran across him in the Avsim forums. If anyone ever received a lifetime achievement award from the FS Community for community service, he would be among the nominees.

I still need to get over to his place and check out his set-up, since he only lives a few miles away.:wavey:

MCDesigns
September 18th, 2009, 12:39

Jim

yep, same here! Great post Bill (lionheart) :ernae:

gera
September 18th, 2009, 13:12
Great post Bill, my hat off to you. The lucky thing for many is that there are people like your Bill Learning in most fields. I have been making solid wood models for over 50 years, I was ten almost eleven when I started. Through those years I have had at least three super helpers always willing to give me a hand with tricks and tips that would have taken me years to learn. I presently have one who lives in Rimini, Italy, much younger than me but an incredible aeronautical historian who when I need any info for my models the guy simply leaves everything else until he gets the info I need..that includes invaluable old plans and detail photographs, old movies etc.. which takes him many days and even weeks to find. He simply does it because he is my friend.....Friends like that are very special and show that friendship is more than a word or a passer by wind, they are like real "angels" made to do that job. You and I and some others are very lucky to have friends like them....

n4gix
September 18th, 2009, 13:22
Wow! Thanks to everyone. I've been rather "down in the dumps" for the past few weeks, and this was just the shot in the arm I needed to spark my enthusiasm again. :ernae:

For some strange reason I never did manage to get an MVP... I guess I hang out with the wrong crowd... :icon_lol:

In amateur radio lingo, I'd be called an "Elmer..." (no relation to Mr. Fudd though) :173go1:

gera
September 18th, 2009, 13:29
N4gix.....that´s you amateur radio call?....I was TG9MO met HP1CV on the air, met her face to face once, and we were married a year later..that was 44 years ago.......Ditdaditdadadida.....:ernae:

peter12213
September 18th, 2009, 13:44
Here's to a great community and a lot of good friends!! :ernae:

JayKae
September 18th, 2009, 14:05
Great post Lionheart and good onya Bill you deserve all the accolades you can get :)

FelixFFDS
September 18th, 2009, 15:00
I've been involved in flightsim modelling since late 1999 - just as FS2000 came out, and I can attest to the fact that:

This hobby has been blessed with people that have willingly given of their knowledge to help others learn, and in the process, help improve the modelling.

Fr. Bill not only knows what he's talking about (well, most of the time - there have been times when I've had to remind him how to do something he taught me to do), but he's one of those particular people that knows HOW to explaing it to someone else.

However, we also have to consider that Fr. Bill's own knowledge is borne out of challenges. Sure he knows a lot, but the deep dark secret about him is he thrives on challenges. Many times it was Bill (Lionheart) that popped a question -"Why can't this be done?" .... and it drove Fr. Bill batty until he found out why it couldn't, or how it could be done.!

Kudos again, Fr. Bill - Lionheart has expressed what has been in my mind for a long time!

ryanbatc
September 18th, 2009, 15:30
Thanks Bill! I remember you wrote some simple code for the Aerosoft F16 landing light problem - a gauge to remedy the effect file.... and of course countless other things you looked into with the Cirrus when I had a question!

:guinness:

Cloud9Gal
September 18th, 2009, 15:39
A BIG thank you for posting this Lionheart!

Great read!! Outstanding man he is Fr. Bill!!

Group Hug!!

http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/love/love0028.gif (http://www.thesmilies.com)

Mathias
September 18th, 2009, 15:50
I can only second the original poster.
Most of the casual SoH users probably are not really aware of Bill's contributions to FS(X) developement as he's usually "teaching" somewhere else, one of the guys behind the scene so to speak.

N2056
September 18th, 2009, 16:00
:wavey: <--- Hand going up as another of those that would have never figured out Gmax or gauges without Bill's help!

We need a Hall of Fame, or something similar for guys like Bill :medals:

jmig
September 18th, 2009, 16:07
I too first met him at AVSIM. At the time I was attempting, to learn gauge programming. He emailed me some suggestions and sample code. I later decided that I was more of a hardware person than software and quit trying to code. However, I have always had great respect for the man.

I say "ditto" to Bill's OP. Thank you Fr. Bill for all that you have given to our hobby.

FelixFFDS
September 18th, 2009, 18:40
We need a Hall of Fame, or something similar for guys like Bill :medals:

Although Inspector Poly has a "Hall of Fame", he's been too shy to publicize it... and you wouldn't be at all surprised as to who is on there. The key to that "Hall" is neither quantitiy nor quality of FS models (or content) produced, but that "Fr. Bill" quality - knowledge, willingness and ability to share it!

Most are still active - some allege to be "out of it", one is, unfortunately, definitely out of it.

But any "Hall of Fame" thread should be a new issue. This thread, deservedly so, should remain to abuse, er extoll the Good Friar...

joanvalley
September 18th, 2009, 19:12
I'm in with you all, Bill Leaming deserves a medal for helping us all. He plays good music too!

Haven't forgotten about Bubba, Bill... May his soul rest in peace and still have him on my prayers.

God bless mate.

Jose.

N400QW
September 18th, 2009, 20:46
Let me add that Bill came on board about six years ago and has proven himself invaluable in our progress from then until now.

It is his generosity of spirit that has always impressed me and trust me when I say we've been through thick and thin together..:icon_lol:

Few know, and I will not reveal names, that Bill Leaming has tutored and mentored some of the best in the FS Business.

It is fair to say that many of the folks in this business would either not be here or they would not have progressed to their current state without Bill Leamings help.

While none of us are perfect, on the few occasions that Bill has made mistakes he has always "manned up" and "faced the music". All admirable qualities in my book.:icon_lol:

I gladly join you all in recognizing Bill Leaming as an outstanding asset to the FS Community and to Team Eaglesoft.:medals:

Lionheart
September 18th, 2009, 22:48
Youre pretty blessed to have Fr. Bill on your team Ron.

:ernae:

Any screenshots on that new Diamond?

Bill

N400QW
September 18th, 2009, 22:57
Yes we are and yes we have a couple...

FelixFFDS
September 19th, 2009, 04:04
Oh - and he plays purty music, too.

jimjones
September 19th, 2009, 05:16
Cheers and thanks to both Bills.

Lionheart
September 19th, 2009, 07:48
Yes we are and yes we have a couple...

Awesome. People have been waiting a long time for this bird. Looking great!

We have one out here at Scottsdale airport. They really catch the eye with their T-tail and odd shaped nacelle cowlings. They even have a little bit of a Me-262 look in the nose from the front.

Bill

Chacha
September 19th, 2009, 07:59
Oh - and he plays purty music, too.

Yes, I have it on my iPod... Thanks Bill Leaming! :engel016: :engel016:

You made our lives brighter .... your insight on life -sharing your own- make us realize, we are not alone....

dmaher
September 19th, 2009, 11:09
:) Bill’s help has been invaluable to me too.
And honestly that sentiment hardly expresses the degree…
Think about it...to stand out so distinctly in such a sizeable and knowledgeable community really speaks volumes.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
And I’ve been astonished Bill has not received an MVP.
If you’ve ever messed with the SDK you’d know Bill is your foremost MVP.
<o:p></o:p>
Hehe, I’ve always found Bill a modest man so this flood of praise is doubly entertaining ;)

Danny

Jim Goldman
September 19th, 2009, 13:01
Let me chime in and also say..................... Thank you Bill...... I have also been helped by the gentle soul.. and in my book is MVP.

Best of luck

Jim

bkeske
September 19th, 2009, 13:18
Great tribute Bill. I agree Bill L. is a gem tot the community. I join you in applauding his continual efforts.:applause:

Chacha
September 19th, 2009, 21:11
B - Brilliant
I - Influential
L - Legendary
L - Laudable

L - Leading
E - Eminent
A - Acclaimed
M - Momentous
I - Illustrious
N - Noble
G - Great!!!!

Whew!... ran out of adjectives!

Milton Shupe
September 20th, 2009, 05:03
When I started with gmax back in late 2001, there were dang few people (3 or 4) that knew anything about gmax and the animation tags. That was the discovery era and there were no SDK's then. Animation tags were dug out of the .dll's and listed by hand, and you had to experiment with how to make the animations work. It was very frustrating trying to animate the basics (gear, tires, flaps, lights, etc.) or even getting a model through the export process. Although Bill was not there then, his technical assistance could have been a great help.

I remember some of Bill's significant contributions early in the FS2004 life. These were VC Rain ... a pesky detailed setup that Bill documented in detail and shared with the community. That process worked the first time for me, thank you very much for that Bill. The next major thing I recall was his stumping for vc gauge backlighting. He championed this over at the Avsim Design forum where most of us scratched our collective heads and tried to understand. I am sure that some of us drove him to play some heavy drama organ music in those times.

These are but two important early examples of his community involvement that meant a lot to me and many designers. His willingness to visit and contribute to many forums to help spread the knowledge is certainly commendable. And you will see where he does a lot of behind-the-scenes assistance helping others, or donating code, or giving personal assistance when needed. That is what the community spirit and these forums are all about and Bill Leaming is certainly a contributor in spades.

Thank you Bill. :applause:

Lionheart
September 20th, 2009, 08:28
I remember the 'illuminated gauges' days well! I remember converting my planes to that. It took a long while to learn, and still I didnt totally understand how it worked. What an awesome effect though.

Bill Leamings tutorial showing how he did the lightmap though is what really made it look real. A normal bitmap would have made them look like 'daytime' textures, but Fr. Bill's tutorial shows that you use a vanilla color, and lightly cloud the illuminated zones with an airbrush, leaving some dark zones in there for actual shading effects in actual gauges. THAT was the finishing touch and effected the 'entire' sim community with everyone advancing to illuminated gauges.

Another thing Fr. Bill was teaching us was multi-material mapping, something I also struggled with. His program (I forget what its called) would auto-arrange parts onto a single map platform. Then you did the art on the pattern that was created.

n4gix
September 20th, 2009, 10:05
Just to add some perspective to this issue of VC gauge backlighting, it will likely ding my reputation a bit but...

...truth be told, my nearly three year long quest to discover and "crack" the secrets of emissive gauge backlighting was largely fueled by selfishness, not selflessness!

You see, I simply cannot abide flying any aircraft that doesn't have a good lighting system!

That being so, the only way to solve this untenable situation was to first, discover how it was done, then make the technique freely available to everyone!

So, now you know the "rest of the story" as the late Paul Harvey would have said... :icon_lol:

I'd like to add my thanks to all the wonderful freeware and payware developers who've so kindly shared "tips and tricks" with me over the years.