PDA

View Full Version : MacRobertson Modern GA

Willy
September 17th, 2009, 20:45
Anyone interested in flying Modern GA in the MacRobertson, please reply to this post. We're trying to gauge whether or not to even have this class for the race.

Thanks

Willy

for the Committee

Highmike
September 17th, 2009, 21:22
Yeah, I'd be interested. But I wouldn't be a broken man if it just wasn't to be.

srgalahad
September 17th, 2009, 22:23
The "modern GA" section has a historical precedent. Such an event was run in 2001

Hypothetically the race would look something like this...

http://pandora.nla.gov.au/nph-arch/2001/Z2001-Feb-5/http://www.airrace.com.au/home.html

Rob

salt_air
September 18th, 2009, 03:49
Yeah, I'd be interested. But I wouldn't be a broken man if it just wasn't to be.

Hey Willy,

Highmike's about summed it up here.

I was waiting to see how modern GA was gonna be defined, then have a look at the rules and make the choice.

I still remain thankful to all the efforts toward making anything happen no matter what it turns out to be.

If keeping it simple will allow you guys to have more fun, then that's the way it should be.

Most of us do enough stinkin' work during the week as it is.

Regards,

jkcook28
September 18th, 2009, 06:34
I flew last years' event, quite long and time consuming; and nothing wrong with that, so will likely sit out this year unless there is a modern GA sideshow.
Something faster definitley intersts me.

I vote a Ya.

:applause:

EasyEd
September 18th, 2009, 16:46
Hey All,

I should have time for this event. I'd like modern as well although the Orion or vultee are both good time era correct flyers.

Two women flew this event in a 182 on amphibs so me in a Kodiak on amphibs would not be out of line. If not this maybe a PC-12 or if it needs to be something in the 2001 race maybe an aero commander 500 or Partenavia or maybe a 182 (probably the Q).

If only old planes probably an Orion but a modern class representative of the 2001 race would be good.

-Ed-

Willy
September 18th, 2009, 23:28
We're still looking at how to keep the King Airs from totally dominating the field. We'd like to have things to where a good piston twin would be competitive. (I'm still thinking about flying my FSD Cessna)

salt_air
September 19th, 2009, 04:22
We're still looking at how to keep the King Airs from totally dominating the field. We'd like to have things to where a good piston twin would be competitive. (I'm still thinking about flying my FSD Cessna)

Sounds like a third division for turboprops Willy.

The Cheyenne, the Conquest, as well as a few others can hold there own against the King Air.

That's your call,,,,,I'm thinking more than one entry now. (If allowed) :applause:

srgalahad
September 19th, 2009, 08:40

If the sim models are anywhere near the real world, the King Air wouldn't necessarily clean up.. the real 2001 winner was 26 Kts faster than the only KA (a C-90).

EasyEd
September 20th, 2009, 17:47
Hey All,

Spent some time today testing a modern GA that I might enter. I flew over God's Country or some might say God Dam country (Eastern Montana North Dakota)! :mixedsmi: I love those Montana airports (Thank You to Lauren Robison and Sidney Schwartz)!

Flew Havre Montana to Billings Montana to Bismarck North Dakota to Glasgow Montana and back to Havre. Looks like I can get over 700nm on a tank at a reasonable speed. Nice set of flights - plane doesn't matter! :bump: But I will say this is not a normal ride for me - it's one of those planes that kinda grows on you if you fly it a few times.

How goes the rules stuff?

-Ed-

PS The pic is of a flight from KBIS to KGGW - it shows where Fort Peck Reservoir meets the mighty Mo (Missouri River).

SWSucceed
October 16th, 2009, 14:36
Yes please, the Conquest C441 - tks.