PDA

View Full Version : Double-sided Poly Problems

FlyTexas
September 17th, 2009, 14:27
I've run into a bit of a problem with a model. The polys on the hull were originally single-sided but I need to make them double-sided. Metasequoia (the 3d program I'm using) will easily allow you to convert the single-sided polys to double-sided polys on the model. After converting the polys the ship looks great in Metasequoia but looks horrible in the game. :frown: Any ideas how this issue can be resolved? Thanks!

Brian

Milton Shupe
September 17th, 2009, 15:27
In gmax through the makemdl compiler, the textures can be two sided by prefixing the texture name with "DS_". When assigning the texture in the modeling program (gmax in my case), the DS_ must be part of the texture assigned to the material. For example, DS_fuse_t.

Also, the polys are not duplicated, just textured both sides.

In your picture, it looks as if there are two sets of polys both facing outwards. Is there a way that you can check the "Normals" or which way the polys are facing?

If you are ultimately compiling with makemdl, then maybe you can revert back but assign this type of DS_ texture.

FlyTexas
September 17th, 2009, 16:20
Hi Milton,
I believe you are correct. Once I perform the double-sided poly operation the interior polys are facing inward while the exterior polys are facing outward. I've attached pics of the model shown before I double-side the polys. The model is being compiled into a DirectX model using the compiler which comes built-in to Metasequoia. I'll look to see if it's possible to texture both sides of the poly in Metasequoia instead of using the double-side method. A poly saved is a poly earned. :icon_lol: I appreciate all of your help, Milton. :wavey: I can't wait to see your new DH-80. :jump:

Brian

Milton Shupe
September 17th, 2009, 19:48
You project looks very interesting. That's something I have never tried and probably shouldn't as I'm afraid I would become hooked on it. :-)

I hope this works for you, and should if the compiler plays by the same rules.

crashaz
September 22nd, 2009, 08:13
Have seen this before on ship models I have downloaded from Turbosquid... and on my USS Oklahoma when I first brought it into FSX... my extrudes on the bridge structure were designed wrong.

I am betting that the normals are facing the wrong way as well.. Needs to face out... then double side it... make sure the pieces that you want double sided in the sim are prefixed DS_

FelixFFDS
September 22nd, 2009, 15:05
Now - to avoid those issues, what would be the "downside" to simply cloning the polygons, and flpping those normals? Granted there are more polygons in the mesh, but if FS doesn't render what it doesn't "see" it wouldn't be rendering the "other" polygons?

Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

MaddogK
September 22nd, 2009, 19:53
heh, done that by accident on a few car models I built for other games. Before cloning tho, I select the faces I wanted to clone and make them all 1 part, that way I can clone the entire part, then flip the faces and normals with the original part hidden. it also make texturing the second part easier as you can assign it a different material and map it differently.