PDA

View Full Version : Alternative props, exh effects and dp file for Scrub/Morton's Swordfish uploaded!

kelticheart
September 15th, 2009, 09:32
A good day to everybody! :wavey:

As anticipated in Morton's Swordfish conversion thread, I just uploaded alternative full disc and single blade prop disc textures for A.F.Scrub's Fairey Swordfish MkI.

Enclosed an alternative Damage Profile (*dp) file where I replaced the original payloads with:

William Dickens' RAF MkXII torpedo and 500lb GP bomb, from his Beaufighter weapon pack;

Pstrany's RAF 120lb Semi Armour-Piercing & 250lb Anti-Shipping bombs, from Virtual Wings' Hudson weapon pack, which I re-uploaded to SOH a year ago;

Baldi's RAF MKVII aerial Depth Charges, from Baldi's Allied Depth Charges pack, available here at SOH.

Please, find below preview screenies of the weapon layouts.

All payloads were chosen due to their high level of detail and size accuracy, according to Swordfish WWII pictures taken in action and/or enclosed in Morton's repaint packs.

Virtual Wing's Hudson RAF anti-shipping specific weapons seemed to me the obvious choice to meet the vast majority of Swordfish mission needs.

I added a 3x250lb Anti-Shipping payload, according to an Aerospace's "British Warplanes of WWII" spec.

Finally, I included a Green Ghost's gauge-controlled exhaust effect.

Enjoy!
KH :ernae:

Morton
September 15th, 2009, 14:11
Appreciated Kelticheart! Looks good!

Morton :ernae:

Rami
September 15th, 2009, 14:32
Thank you very much, Kelti! :ernae:

Ravenna
September 15th, 2009, 15:30
Those look great Stef. It looks like you're off to Taranto!

miamieagle
September 16th, 2009, 16:40
Thank you:icon29:!

kelticheart
September 18th, 2009, 09:04
You're welcome folks! :wiggle:

I am working on an anti-sub warfare alternative dp for Morton's Atlantic Sqdn.836 rocket-equipped Swordfish MkII, I want to add to the package.

I am currently doing some research to be sure about the MkII payload configuration. We all know CFS2 dp hardpoint limitations, an 8-rocket layout eats up 16 hardpoints, between pylons and actual weapons, with a 23 top limit.

So, I want to be sure to respect history and see what I can hang under the Stringbag with the remaining 7 hardpoints.

Lemme see...mmmm....so far I am trying to juggle the three depth charges (6 hardpoints), absolutely necessary for anti-submarine missions, together with the rockets and the ever-present torpedo capability.

Since I used GC's ventral pylons for both the ventral torpedo and/or depth charge/bomb payloads, they share the same remaining single hardpoint hitting the 23 total limit.

But, in this way, I am losing the 3x250lb AS bombs and the 6x125lb SAP bombs, both very useful against U-Boots and forget about the single GP 500 pounder.......

A nice challenge!

Cheers!

oldwheat
September 18th, 2009, 09:38
I don't see why the left & right wing pylons couldn't be compiled as one unit of several, thus releasing extra hardpoints. Of course these would probably have to be aircraft specific as the dihedral of the wing undersurface would vary. But once the source file was created changing the angle before compiling would take mere seconds. If the source files for the pylons were already available, it really would be a 'piece of cake'.

kelticheart
September 18th, 2009, 09:55
I don't see why the left & right wing pylons couldn't be compiled as one unit of several, thus releasing extra hardpoints. Of course these would probably have to be aircraft specific as the dihedral of the wing undersurface would vary. But once the source file was created changing the angle before compiling would take mere seconds. If the source files for the pylons were already available, it really would be a 'piece of cake'.

Hi OW!

Nice thinking!

With RAF-style rocket rails I think it would be even easier grouping them together into a single unit.

Let me find the ones which look better and more historically accurate under this Stringbag wings. We could then contact the original designer and see if your idea could be put to practical use.

Cheers!

hewman100
September 19th, 2009, 01:33
The ones in Bis' Beaufighter pack should do the trick.

These were built specially for this purpose of reducing hardpoint difficulties and look better than the rack provided with the GC Stringbag Kelti.

If the angle is off I'm sure he would still have the source file handy.

Ravenna
September 21st, 2009, 05:25
A bit off topic, but I just noticed that when I press the bomb door key (for me it is "d") a torpedo appears beneath the fuselage, regardless of what load has been chosen. Strange.

Morton
September 21st, 2009, 10:36
when I press the bomb door key (for me it is "d") a torpedo appears beneath the fuselage, regardless of what load has been chosen. Strange.

That's right Ravenna. It's built into the FSX/FS2004 model. You know, those sims are "very limited" :d The only way they can have a payload is to hardcode them this way, and they still cant drop them. We could of course make the torpedo invisible, but i didnt think it was important. Just keep away from the D. There's no bombdoors in the stringbag :icon_lol:

cheers
Mort

Ravenna
September 21st, 2009, 15:32
Sorry Mort. I am an inveterate fiddler...I wanted to find out whether "d" had been attached to some hatch opening. You've done a great job with this Stringbag. I love her!:ernae: