PDA

View Full Version : One way to stop the pirate copies

noddy
September 15th, 2009, 04:01
<TABLE class=storycontent cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2>Cunning copyright catches crooks

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=storybody><!-- S BO --><!-- S IIMA --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=226 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/46380000/jpg/_46380053_batman.jpg Batman: Arkham Asylum is inspired by, rather than a direct adaptation, of the movie.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- E IIMA --><!-- S SF -->Video games developer Eidos have come up with a novel way of catching users playing pirated copies of their game. Players using illegal copies of Batman: Arkham Asylum have found that essential control functions in the game have been disabled, rendering it unplayable.
One user complained on the Eidos forum that there was a bug in the code, only to be told by the administrator that they had "a bug in your moral code".
The PC version of the stealth action adventure goes on sale later this week.
<!-- E SF -->Players attempting to use the glide function within the game will find it disabled in pirated versions, resulting in the Batman character coming to an untimely end.
The protection system came to light when a user complained on the Eidos support forum saying:
"When I...jump from one platform to another, Batman tries to open his wings again and again instead of gliding."
An Eidos community manager replied, saying the user had encountered "a hook" in the copy protection system, designed to "catch out people who try and download cracked versions of the game for free".
"It's not a bug in the game's code, it's a bug in your moral code," he added.
While Eidos did not want to spell out the mechanics of the copyright protection system, they did say that it was in place to deter hackers, although the fact the game is not yet on sale made this particular case of piracy somewhat obvious.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Tako_Kichi
September 15th, 2009, 04:13
This is not the first time something like this has been done.

In ARMA if you were using a 'hacked' copy online you would eventually turn into a seagull instead of being a soldier and could then only fly over the battle instead of taking part in it.

FengZ
September 15th, 2009, 04:54
i thought about this for FS as well. It'll be cool for a developer to "release" their own stuff on pirate sites, but change tiny visual details on the model that only they know (small dirt mark by the window, etc). Then check screenshot sites around their release date and see who posts pics of the pirated version. They don't need to say anything, but at least they'll know who's "hiding" as a pirate.

-feng

cheezyflier
September 15th, 2009, 05:01
i thought about this for FS as well. It'll be cool for a developer to "release" their own stuff on pirate sites, but change tiny visual details on the model that only they know (small dirt mark by the window, etc). Then check screenshot sites around their release date and see who posts pics of the pirated version. They don't need to say anything, but at least they'll know who's "hiding" as a pirate.

-feng

my idea is more fun.

all developers upload their stuff to the pirate sites, with a nasty virus inside.

FengZ
September 15th, 2009, 05:05
my idea is more fun.

all developers upload their stuff to the pirate sites, with a nasty virus inside.

Actually, A LOT of developers do this. The problem is, the file will quickly be marked as "fake" and it'll be removed. Thus, you might stop a few people, but not the majority.

The hidden method is a good way to put "shame" into the people. Imagine someone posting new screenshots and the developer came in and said "you pirated it" the person will be like "wtf...how did they know???" and then the entire community will know as well.

-feng

FengZ
September 15th, 2009, 05:11
Just a follow up...

This is something we as developers do as well. Usually during beta phases, we release 100-1500 copies of the game. Even though beta testers sign an agreement to not release it, about 5-8% of them will upload the beta to pirates sites. Little do they know that every copy of the beta has its unique tag which is linked to the beta testers by name. Once it hits the pirates sites, we download the copy ourselves, and read the tag. Now we know exactly which beta tester released it. Slap a scary lawyer-law suit letter in the mail and hopefully they won't do it again. I've seen kids get sooooo scared of the legal threats that they even had their parents write apology letters....lol

some developers use the same method for actual releases. Since most digital content is downloaded these days, it's very easy to insert a code directly into the software at time of purchase. Now the copy is unique. When the file hits the websites, the developer will know who released it.

-feng

Snuffy
September 15th, 2009, 05:17
How bout a self destruct mechanism? If the game can not verify that its real by whatever means, then the CD/DVD blows up inside their drive! :ernae:

tigisfat
September 15th, 2009, 07:44
How bout a self destruct mechanism? If the game can not verify that its real by whatever means, then the CD/DVD blows up inside their drive! :ernae:

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea, and a proportionate response. The last time my neighbor's dog crapped on my lawn, I burnt their house down with his wife and kids sleeeping in it.:173go1:

Why, so that people like me who have struggled getting legally purchased products working can have their computers grenaded? I bought the stupid PMDG 747 (a waste of money) and had their magical anti-piracy blank gauges for a week until having the problem fixed. Noone would help me anywhere.

Lionheart
September 15th, 2009, 08:58
When I was doing the Operation Valkyrie gamepack, one of my beta testers put it on a pirate site. Long before it was released! lol... arrgh.

Tagging is certainly the way to go.

I love the idea of self-destructs or at least 'hiding parts'... Say a group of penguins suddenly appear in your plane, heads looking about, squawking and wobbling.... :d

Quixoticish
September 15th, 2009, 10:17
This is not the first time something like this has been done.

In ARMA if you were using a 'hacked' copy online you would eventually turn into a seagull instead of being a soldier and could then only fly over the battle instead of taking part in it.

They did something similar in the original Operation Flashpoint as well that would slowly induce a drunken effect on your charachters vision if memory serves.

mike_cyul
September 15th, 2009, 11:10
I certainly think that developers and software companies flooding pirate sites with bugged versions of their software is one good idea.

Large companies could even have employees whose only job would be to do this - even create new sites, pretend to be 13 year olds, etc.. If pirate sites begin checking for "good" torrent links, companies could make legit versions available for a few days until checked, and then substitute the bugged product. Even pirate site admins would eventually get tired of having to check every single download - not to mention the complaints they would constantly get from users.

Just make it not worth the effort searching for stuff to download illegally.

Mike

MCDesigns
September 15th, 2009, 14:07
One user complained on the Eidos forum that there was a bug in the code, only to be told by the administrator that they had "a bug in your moral code".

LMAO, to funny and TO TRUE!!! :ernae:

Wing_Z
September 15th, 2009, 14:20
There are a few online games that degrade their functionaility if they do not pass a Certified Copy test.
I'd love to see something like that implemented more widely.

Without it, your aircraft grow warts and start slowing down, or sceneries start looking like toffee.
I'm very much against nuking a pirate's computer, as it might not belong to the naughty party.
Just damage the game he stole...in no time they'd learn that the legit copy is waay better.

As a user, I would like to be able to continue using the software if (when?) the developer goes bust, however.
So the Certificate would have to be linked somehow to the distribution method.
And, better than MS Office which has just declared my copy illegal - 3 years after a bought-and-paid-for install...