PDA

View Full Version : Removing the "apple" of my eye.....

Navy Chief
September 14th, 2009, 08:52
Actually, it's more of a "thorn" in my side than anything.

We have two pear trees just outside the house. One is a cooking pear type; the other an eating pear tree.

As luck would usually have it, the eating pear tree rarely produces much each year, but the other one ALWAYS has an abundance of fruit. Now that would be ok, I guess, but my ex never ever picked and cooked them. Nope. I always ended up picking hundreds of them off the ground, and throwing them over the nearby fence (still my property). If I neglected to do so, within days they'd be covered with yellow jackets. Not fun. I kept warning the wife I was going to cut the darn thing down; but she said NO. Well, we're within days of the divorce being official. I decided it's time for that tree to become history. Removing it is, I suppose, somewhat symbolic because I'm becoming a bachelor again. New beginnings. But I still have my work "cut" out for me, getting rid of this mess. My dog, Chief, says he'll help....

NC

Chacha
September 14th, 2009, 08:57
Don't you need a permit to cut trees in TN, even if it is your property?

Here in Florida, they charge depending on the age of the tree!! :icon_lol:

Remove the "thorn" in your side!

Navy Chief
September 14th, 2009, 09:33
Don't you need a permit to cut trees in TN, even if it is your property?

Here in Florida, they charge depending on the age of the tree!! :icon_lol:

Remove the "thorn" in your side!

Oh h.... no, not here; leastwise not in this area! If it was, I'd have my house up for sale in a nanosecond. This is my property. No way would I put up with that B.S.!!! Where I live, if I wanted to cut down every tree, pour concrete and paint it green, I would do JUST that! I know folks who live in communities with so-called "owner's associations", with people with nothing better to do, than drive around looking for something to fine the homeowner for some contrived infraction. There's NO way I will ever live in such a community. If it's my property, then that's exactly what that means, Mine, not anyone else's!!!

NC

Willy
September 14th, 2009, 09:57
I wouldn't live in one of those homeowner's association either. Right now I've got a bunch of squirrels working over my pecans and they just don't know how big a mistake they're making. I live out in the country and have a .22 with their name on it.

Reminds me, I need to find out when squirrel season starts.

Edit: just googled it. Opened 22 Aug with a bag limit of 10 daily. There's gonna be trouble in my pecan trees here directly.

Henry
September 14th, 2009, 10:21
I wouldn't live in one of those homeowner's association either. Right now I've got a bunch of squirrels working over my pecans and they just don't know how big a mistake they're making. I live out in the country and have a .22 with their name on it.

Edit: just googled it. Opened 22 Aug with a bag limit of 10 daily. There's gonna be trouble in my pecan trees here directly.
I got squirrels in my pecan trees also
and cannot even use a bb gun in the city limits
whats the range on that .22?:kilroy:
H

Snuffy
September 14th, 2009, 10:24
Don't look like much firewood to me ... hell you'll hardly break a sweat on that ..

:bump:

Terry
September 14th, 2009, 10:35
H

Rat traps work on squirrels, and their quiet.

Navy Chief
September 14th, 2009, 10:56
Don't look like much firewood to me ... hell you'll hardly break a sweat on that ..

:bump:

Not for firewood, but it'll burn, along with all the other brush I've piled up for a couple months.

NC

Snuffy
September 14th, 2009, 11:57
H

An easy accessible and open bowl of antifreeze works on just about any varmint. :kilroy:

OBIO
September 14th, 2009, 12:19
Yes, antifreeze will kill the squirrels...but only after a long, slow, horrible death. Not a humane way of handling bothersome squirrels. Rat traps can be much more humane in that they break the squirrels necks and give them an instant death.

And no, I am not a member of PETA, but I am an advocate of humane treatment of animals. And no, I am not a veggan or what ever those people who think that humans should eat like sheep and cows call themselves. I had some killer chicken fajitas for supper last night and will have nice juicy cheese burgers for supper this evening.

OBIO

Moparmike
September 14th, 2009, 12:45

Cook me up a pot of stew Willy! I haven't had a good pot o tree-rat in a couple years.
Now those pesky cottontails that keep harassing my garden...that's another story! :D I don't know why they avoid my pepper plants...bunny with some fresh jalapenos & tomatoes is so good!!!

Good luck on the landscaping NC. I lost one apple tree and one of my plum trees last winter...again, those wascally wabbits. I wouldn't mind a pear tree but I don't think it'd bear fruit up here.

Navy Chief
September 14th, 2009, 15:04
I think I overdid it. A muscle in my right arm has been giving me fits for months, and it really is throbbing now. Occasionally my body reminds me I ain't the young man I once was...... But I have to get things done!! Pop a pain pill, and press on, I guess.

NC

Tom Clayton
September 14th, 2009, 19:31
My dad used to have a couple of plum trees that bore a bumper crop every other year. The off years you'd be lucky to find one plumb between both trees! On the years we got crops, the ones on the ground attracted whatever bees were around, but the kicker was that the fruit fermented inside the skin. The bees were so drunk, they couldn't fly - just thump 'em off and watch 'em crawl away!