PDA

View Full Version : 'Chicago & Northwestern'

Panther_99FS
September 13th, 2009, 14:25
Fond memories here....:mixedsmi:

QvozukdWWVo

brad kaste
September 13th, 2009, 14:43
Hey Panther,......you're so right. Just 'fond memories' now. The Chicago Northwestern tracks run very close to the high school I attended. How many times I'd stare blankly out of afternoon freshman English class and see one of these babies roar by. Maybe to Milwaukee but who knows? Anyway, it was hot in the classroom,......a teacher I didn't care for,....and a subject I could have cared even less for. Needless to say all what I could think about was somehow magically getting on that CNW train that would get me out of the classroom. Plus,...I'd be enjoying the experience. Never happened.....LOL:kilroy:
Another one to fondly remember was the North Shore Line.
It picked up it's power off a 3rd rail or the overhead power pick up cable. To watch the NSL Electroliner go roaring past you was an experience not be forgotten.
Now of course the commuter Amtrack trains run on the old CNW rails. About as exciting to watch as a piece of limp celery.

Trans_23
September 13th, 2009, 15:56
The end of the Northwest line was Harvard, IL where I grew up. We used to take the train into Chicago for a day in the big city. I have quite a few CNW HO scale locomotives and cars including the F7. I don't have any of the commuter cars yet but I am sure I will in the near future.

Thanks for the post.

TARPSBird
September 13th, 2009, 20:54
I grew up in Northbrook, IL on the North Shore Line's Skokie Valley line. Was always fun to ride those old heavyweight cars to downtown Chicago with my Grandma. For early 20th century technology they could flat-out move down the tracks too.
I like the shot of the Northwestern station. The smiley face on the nose-mounted bell is a nice touch. :d

exc141ac
September 14th, 2009, 04:23
I remember an occasional steam engine.

TARPSBird
September 14th, 2009, 13:04
I remember an occasional steam engine.
So do I but they were getting very rare around Chicago by 1955-56. Saw 'em on freight trains and sometimes on a commuter run, that's about it.