PDA

View Full Version : Flight Stick and/or Yoke?

Les Parson
September 13th, 2009, 12:13
In the interest of maintaining realism, I was contemplating acquiring a Flight Stick in addition to my existing CH Yoke. Thus using the stick for perhaps the new A2A Piper Cub, Realair singles, etc; of course using the CH Yoke for Realair Duke, Aeroworx B200 (FS9), Carenado Cessnas, etc.

The question is - Can both be loaded simultaneously (USB) and simply selected by Options>Settings>ControlsController Type ?

I'm not sure how that would work with separate calibrations for each with FSX.cfg.

Lastly, are there any recommendations for sticks? I would be looking for something basic rather than all the extras. I've briefly looked at the Saitek X52 online, but it seems to have several extra options that I may not desire.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Les Parson

Tako_Kichi
September 13th, 2009, 12:45
I have both the Saitek Yoke and the Saitek X52 (non-Pro version) and I just switch them out as required (it's just a matter of swapping USB cables of course). I don't have true rudder pedals (yet) so I use the pedals from my Logitech MOMO racing wheel set. The pedals are connected all the time.

I initially set up each controller's axes in FSX (I use the Saitek software to control button assignments) and now I can swap them around at will and FSX will detect which controller(s) I have connected and adjust itself to suit.

As to stick recommendations, well there are as many opinions on that as there are on which is the best car to buy! ;)

I like Saitek products but have used Logitech in the past, other people swear by CH stuff (but I find it a bit overpriced and 'clunky' myself). The Saitek Aviator seems to be well liked by those who use it if you are not looking for a full blown HOTAS system.

Best thing to do is to go to a store somewhere and try them out for feel. In many ways that's the only way to tell if a stick is the right one for you. If it feels good then buy it but if you don't like the feel move on.

I am sure others will jump in with suggestions/opinions too.

Dangerous Beans
September 13th, 2009, 12:47
I have a Saitek yolk + extra throttle, pedals and X52 pro all connected at the same time and use FSUIPC to manage all the axis and buttons.

I think there is another way of doing it without using FSUIPC that involves making copies of the FSX.exe and cfg but that means restarting FSX if you want to change to a plane with a different controler.

That's not a problem with FSUIPS, just change plane and fly.
Also if you have the A2A Stratocruiser you can use the yolk for the main controls and the stick twist for the autopilot handle.

SkippyBing
September 13th, 2009, 12:49
You can actually have more than one controller plugged in at once and have the control axis in FSX mapped to more than one controller at the same time. The only problem is that any inadvertent movement of the controller you're not using will still be registered by FSX which can cause problems.
For instance I've used a set of steering wheel pedals for rudder pedals and still had my X52 stick twist mapped to the rudder. It was fine as long as I either locked the stick or didn't accidentaly step on one of the pedals at a critical moment!

Alan_A
September 13th, 2009, 12:51
I also use FSUIPC to manage multiple controllers - Saitek yoke and two quads, plus a Saitek X-52 for joystick airplanes, and Saited rudder pedals throughout. FSUIPC allows you to set up profiles for individual aircraft - you can customize not only controllers but their calibration, button settings, etc. You need the paid version do to this but it's well worth it. The interface isn't the most intuitive thing out there (IIRC Pete Dowson admits this) so you have to read the documentation. But I've had no trouble at all with it and from what I understand, this is a much better option than hot- or cold-swapping USB controllers, which I'm told can screw up the settings. Hope this is helpful.

dswo
September 13th, 2009, 12:57
FSUIPC isn't free, but once you get it set up -- and the latest release makes it easier -- it's very convenient.

astrojet
September 13th, 2009, 13:09
Les,

I've got the Saitek yoke/throttle quadrant and X52 also, and normally leave both plugged in simultaneously, which allows you to freely switch controls as appropriate to the type flown.

Each should show up separately in your FS control assignments menu. Keyboard assignments are common to all, but control assignments must be set by clicking on the desired set of controls and designating functions for each specific control. Personally I find it easier to set all assignments through the FSX menu instead of the Saitek menu.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/314clipper/fs_rig.jpg

harleyman
September 13th, 2009, 13:21
AstroJet...

Can I come play at your house ? LOL

Nice setup there...:monkies: :applause:

Les Parson
September 13th, 2009, 13:32
Thanks for all the excellent (and expeditious) advice. It seems like I might transition over to Saitek.

It's no wonder why SOH is such a great site !

Les Parson

b52bob
September 13th, 2009, 13:38
geese, if I had that set up my wife would kill me dead!

Can we all come over and play?

paiken
September 13th, 2009, 14:07
I take it the fan is for that open cockpit feeling while flying?:jump:

astrojet
September 13th, 2009, 16:19
Thanks, guys. Just bring beer & pizza and come over anytime.
And yes, the fan is for making my silk scarf flap in the breeze. :d

Good luck with the setup, Les.

VFR Reviews
September 13th, 2009, 17:44
If I might make a suggestion-

I have the Logitech G940 for a preview and it is stunning. Slightly more expensive (depending, of course, where you buy from) but with FF and pedals!

Really outstanding way to take up space on your desk.

Gdavis101
September 13th, 2009, 18:09
I have a Saitek Yoke with throttle quadrant and CH rudder pedals, I also have an X-52 and keep both hooked up all the time with no issues using either one when flying in Flight Simulator.