PDA

View Full Version : OT: James F. Chams

Nick C
September 13th, 2009, 12:01
Hey James, please, please take this the right way. :kilroy:

You don't have to put 'MR' before a name all the time, especially when it's a nickname. 99% of the time on forums, it's completely surplus to requirements and actually doesn't read correctly.

Don't shout at me, but after years of reading your posts, I felt it was time to say something and I hope it's taken in the positive way it's intended.

:engel016::engel016::engel016:

And just for the record, please call me 'Nick'. :d

Nick C
September 13th, 2009, 12:05
And just before you all attack me, I'm fully aware that my English language is far from perfect. :bump:

Edited to remove the glaring error!!

Matt Wynn
September 13th, 2009, 12:05
'Smoothie' or 'Matt' will do fine for me :icon_lol: Nick thanks for voicing what a few of us have noticed, As he said James no offense is meant so don't take it the wrong way, have a beer on us :ernae:

Nick C
September 13th, 2009, 12:11
Anybody who's on the receiving end of my Skype messages, knows that I can be quite inventive with my spelling...Ask Ian!

SkippyBing
September 13th, 2009, 12:21
I'm fully aware that my English lit is far from perfect

Errr.. shouldn't that be your English Lang? I'll get my coat....

Nick C
September 13th, 2009, 12:23
ROFl. See what I mean. :d

Lionheart
September 13th, 2009, 12:24
ooops...

and I was calling Nick 'Sir Churchill'.. arrghh.. :d

MCDesigns
September 13th, 2009, 12:46
ooops...

and I was calling Nick 'Sir Churchill'.. arrghh.. :d

Would that be "Saint" Nick at Xmas? :running:

IanP
September 13th, 2009, 12:50
Wasn't Churchill a Lord by the end anyway?

dswo
September 13th, 2009, 12:57
I'm happy to be just David.

JamesChams
September 13th, 2009, 13:15
:icon_lol: I find you all funny... :icon_lol:

Nick,

You already told me that .... and I have been refering to you as just Nick (or in some cases as Mr. Nick C. to others, when I recommend they talk to you about FSX Settings, Ordering a Custom System(s), or how to take good screen shots :icon_lol:). But, as far as others are concerned, I try to treat people with respect as I would also like to be treated (I'm "OLD School" :mixedsmi:). However, as you already know from our many past experiences, not everyone does that, especially to older gentlmen and some young ladies. So, a certain level of formality, respect, and professionalism is "REQUIRED" when dealing with Business', their staff, or (strangers) people in general. I choose to be formal, since most of us are NOT firmiliars, and it doesn't seem to take much for people to cross that line very easily from respect to disrespect. So, since you requested that for yourself, I have no problem doing so.

However, I expect developers and other professionals to refer to me as Mr. James Chams, yet many of them call me James; even though I've already stated that; yet you DON'T see me posting threads demanding that they do things my way, right? :kilroy:

So, what is the real reason for your grievances’?
(Or, As you say in Britian, "Why are you ticked?" and, As we say in America, "What's your Beef?")

:kilroy:

Henry
September 13th, 2009, 13:22
:icon_lol: I find you all funny... :icon_lol:

So, what is the real reason for your grievances’?
(Or, As you say in Britian, "Why are you ticked?" and, As we say in America, "What's your Beef?")

:kilroy:
James
dont worry he is confused by
my English Grammar also:icon_lol:
LOL
H

Boomer
September 13th, 2009, 13:29
I hear ya James... :wiggle:

In a professional environment I refer to my superiors as sir/ma'am & my subordinates with the proper prefix & surname. Moreover I expect the same from them.
However this is not a professional environment. Here we are all equals sharing a common passion.

Sooo.... Just call me Bob if you please :engel016:

Bjoern
September 13th, 2009, 13:31
James, we're a pub here and not a business.
Hence please no "Mr.", "Mrs.", "Ms.","Sir","Ma'am" or anything similar; we're all just "pal", "bud", "lad","mate","dude" here.

MCDesigns
September 13th, 2009, 13:31
I hear ya James... :wiggle:

In a professional environment I refer to my superiors as sir/ma'am & my subordinates with the proper prefix & surname. Moreover I expect the same from them.
However this is not a professional environment. Here we are all equals sharing a common passion.

I'd love to tell you what I call my superiors at work.....but I can't here, LOL.

Boomer
September 13th, 2009, 13:34
I'd love to tell you what I call my superiors at work.....but I can't here, LOL.

Probably the same thing my subordinates call me LOL

IanP
September 13th, 2009, 13:38
As long as you don't mean grammer wheel be fine. :)

As for why people don't refer to each other as "Mister" or "Sir" all the time, the simple answer is that this is not a professional environment. It's a place where we can meet as equals (most of the time) and hence the majority of formality isn't really needed.

I get "a little narked" when some salesman on the phone calls me "Ian". No, I'm Mr. Pearson while you're trying to sell me something I don't want, yet the Chief Instructor at the flying school I'm using to requalify is "Andy" (not even Andrew) and the Examiner is "Bob". That's very much a professional environment, yet the formality is unnecessary for the most part. I don't call my boss at work "Sir" any more. He's got a big enough ego as it is and doesn't need any more!

As I said before. This isn't a professional environment. It's a gathering of equals - in theory at least. Therefore in my opinion, sir, madam, Mr, Mrs, Miss, Ms or "The Right Dishonourable" really are not necessary.

By the way. I'm Ian or "Oi! You!". I respond to either. :wavey:

Meshman
September 13th, 2009, 13:43

Hi Bob if you please!

After driving a truck for 16 years, there isn't much I haven't been called. I just prefer not to be called late to dinner... :ernae:

Matt Wynn
September 13th, 2009, 13:48
i call my superiors at work Ruperts, bloody bunch of good for nothing career enhancement types :icon_lol:

'oi you!' ^ as you say we're all equal, some of us in sheer lunacy, some in flying either way yeah equal :icon_lol:

Nick C
September 13th, 2009, 13:56
James, my point was that this isn't about old school English.

Mr Churchill is fine, but you wouldn't call me Mr Nick Churchill when speaking to me. It's either 'Nick' or 'Mr Churchill'. You also don't add the term 'Mr" before a nickname. So if my nickname is 'Fartypants', you wouldn't address me 'Mr Fartypants'.

'Nick C' was an nickname I created for forums in the old days when I felt it wasn't safe to give too much information about yourself (a ling time ago). The letter C was just to differentiate me, say from 'Nick N' (Needham).

As Ian said, this is an informal environment, if anybody calls me Mr I'll presume their either selling me something or it's one of my old strict teachers, coming back to haunt me! :icon_lol:

I certainly don't have a grievance, I just thought I'd mention it as a light subject matter. :icon29:

Warrant
September 13th, 2009, 14:11
Funny thread!

James, you adressed me once as Mr Warrant. Warrant is short for my current rank: Chief Warrant Officer (though i'm joining the officers corps within a few weeks). It is very incorrect (at least in my country) to add Mr in front of a rank. ;)

So please.... either Warrant or René :engel016:

and regarding this:

As Ian said, this is an informal environment, if anybody calls me Mr I'll presume their either selling me something or it's one of my old strict teachers, coming back to haunt me! :icon_lol:

...i could not agree more :ernae:

jmig
September 13th, 2009, 16:12
You can call me jmig. you can call me jmiguez. You can call me John. You can call me Johnny. Just don't call me Johnson. That's not my name so I won't know who you are talking to... :icon_lol:

OleBoy
September 13th, 2009, 17:40
This is hilarious.....ROFL:bump:

Piglet
September 13th, 2009, 17:46
I'm not greedy or anything, so just call me "Supreme Leader"...

OleBoy
September 13th, 2009, 17:51
Supreme Leader.......Sir, yes sir!!

Howdy Mr. Piglet :kilroy:

djscoo
September 13th, 2009, 18:05
I'm not greedy or anything, so just call me "Supreme Leader"...
By your command, it shall be done...Supreme Leader.

JamesChams
September 13th, 2009, 19:07
James
dont worry he is confused by
my English Grammar also:icon_lol:
LOL
HMr. Henry,

Yes, and apparently, I remind him of a school teacher; he must have been a very "nauty boy" in class :icon_lol:; at least I'm NOT being accused of calling anyone "MRS." or any other stupid 4-letter words. :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

gajit
September 13th, 2009, 22:16
He's never called me Mr - Im so jealous of you guys :kilroy:

calypsos
September 13th, 2009, 22:34
As you say in Britian, "Why are you ticked?"

That is a new one on me, but I no longer live in Britain!!

Hey Warrant, I always thought that you CWOs were already really part of the 'officers corps' unlike the UK Warrant Officers who eat with the SNCOs. I guess (unlike the Brits who join the 'Ruperts', that is where that slang name comes from) you will not have to take a course on table manners!!!

DennyA
September 13th, 2009, 22:42
Well, this is a unique thread.

Formality on the Intarwebs? Never happened, never will.

BTW, I expect developers to refer to me as Lord Dennis the Respected.

gajit
September 13th, 2009, 23:39
Did anyone ever get any post from relatives addressed as To Master "full name"

I did! And i aint from a posh family!!

tigisfat
September 14th, 2009, 00:44
Anyone on the internet can call me whatever they want. Sure, there are many people I respect in this community, but when it boils down to it, I could care less what I'm called. The manner in which I'm addressed will set the tone for my response, and it's very unlikely that I'll ever meet any of you, or that any of you will have a profound interpersonal interaction with me. For Christ's sake; we're not having tea and crumpets at Castlewood Country Club, we're mostly chain-smoking, drinking beverages out of personal plastic cups and sitting in dark rooms next to computer desks littered with papers and USB cables.

I've gone by Master, Mestre, First Officer, Sergeant, Airman and soon Captain. There's a time and place for that, and it's not here. I don't expect any developers to address me formally here; they're here on their own time. I'll ask for professional politeness when I'm on their time getting tech support.

We're all just that special kind of 'internet friends' here.

Zommoz
September 14th, 2009, 02:27
"... From now on, I want you all to call me 'Loretta'...."

Nick C
September 14th, 2009, 03:12
My nickname through School was Winston, for obvious reasons, although I'm more than happy to be called 'Lord' Churchill, followed by a virtual bow.

SirBenn21
September 14th, 2009, 03:14
Hey mine is very easy

Sir Ben

:173go1: :d

Ben

jmig
September 14th, 2009, 03:39
Hey mine is very easy

Sir Ben

:173go1: :d

Ben

Yes Sir! :d

Cazzie
September 14th, 2009, 03:41
No sir, I would refer to you as "Mr. Johnny Fartypants"! :icon_lol:

Caz

bstolle
September 14th, 2009, 03:45
Well, when Mr. Chams calls me a.hole, godless nazi etc... in other forums, he NEVER uses Mr.... that's not fair....I'm frustrated... ;)

Regards

Bernt

Mr.Mugel
September 14th, 2009, 05:30
Oh damn, would I be Mr.Mr.Mugel than? This is confusing...

I just added the Mr. to my nickname when I registered for the Americas Army Game (It was 1.4 or such back than), and my nick was allready taken, so as I had a Mr. in there, I quite liked it, and added it to the Mugel. Mugel is kind of a german play of words, mix of Mensch (Human) and Kugel (Ball (Not the thing you think of, it means the geometric figure, as I am not the smallest guy). Came from my brother, and he is since then Mookiee, half Mensch half Wookiee....

Or you could just call me Lennart...

SirBenn21
September 14th, 2009, 05:39
Oh damn, would I be Mr.Mr.Mugel than? This is confusing...

:icon_lol: this is a funny thread. At least we can laugh at ourselves! :bump:

Ben

falcon409
September 14th, 2009, 06:04
. . . . .Mugel is kind of a german play of words, mix of Mensch (Human) and Kugel (Ball (Not the thing you think of, it means the geometric figure, as I am not the smallest guy). Came from my brother, and he is since then Mookiee, half Mensch half Wookiee....
Since exact pronunciation is kinda hard to ascertain in text, it's also possible that "Mugel" has an additional meaning you might not have considered. Anyone who is a Harry Potter fan will recognize that word as well, especially when talking about Hermoine.
Ahhhh, after closer examination. . .different spelling (Muggles), lol. . .my bad. . ."pay no attention to the man behind the blank stare", lol.

Bjoern
September 14th, 2009, 06:34
BTW, I expect developers to refer to me as Lord Dennis the Respected.

Sure thing, Den...

K, dude.

:d

gera
September 14th, 2009, 06:40
Just call him "Señor Nicko"!!!! :icon_lol::icon_lol:

Alan_A
September 14th, 2009, 07:50
The New York Times style manual used to require "Mr." or "Mrs." every time a story cited the name of a living person.

This led to music reviews that referred to "Mr. Ant" and "Mr. Loaf."

The style manual has since been changed...

Mathias
September 14th, 2009, 07:56
Mugel is kind of a german play of words, mix of Mensch (Human) and Kugel ...

That's funny.
I'm Matze, halb Mensch, halb Katze.:bump:

Marvin Carter
September 14th, 2009, 08:54
Mines pretty easy, just don't call me late for Dinner.hehe

spotlope
September 14th, 2009, 09:19
I still have a little placard that British Airways gave me on a flight to London one time. Says "please wake me for meals". That about sums it up.

Henry
September 14th, 2009, 10:29
From now on you can refer to me
as King Henry
or Master Baker
although the second could be dodgy
but there is a k in baker and not a t:kilroy:
H

Bjoern
September 14th, 2009, 10:42
That's funny.
I'm Matze, halb Mensch, halb Katze.:bump:

Just be glad you're not "Motze"...:monkies: *Snicker* :icon_lol:

Mathias
September 14th, 2009, 10:44
Just be glad you're not "Motze"...:monkies: *Snicker* :icon_lol:

LMAO! Shall I translate that? :monkies::bump:

JamesChams
September 14th, 2009, 12:22
I have a much better proposition....

When everyone here calls Jesus Christ their Savior, Master & makes Him (Jesus) King in their lives; then you'll will be "Holy enough" for me to address each of you by your first names :icon_lol:; till then, thats the deal.

Nick - I think I'm going to call you, Sir. Winston "The Monkey Boy" Churchill, instead... for starting this pointless thread :sleep:, until you start refering to me as Mr. James Chams. And, then, I'll call you just Nick, again. :icon_lol: Or, maybe NOT.... :icon_lol:

BTW:

He's never called me Mr - Im so jealous of you guys :kilroy:Mr. "gajit,"
I like your Cub repaints very much! :medals:
Thank you Mr. "gajit"!:applause:

From now on you can refer to me
as King Henry
or Master Baker
although the second could be dodgy
but there is a k in baker and not a t:kilroy:
H LOL - I like King Henry the VIII - too bad he's dead... LOL
But, Mr. Henry sounds pretty good! ;)

BUT....

Today is my Birthday (Sept. 14th) So, I think I'll be nice to all of you.... Today, and ONLY today, you can all call me Jim (what all my friends call me). :wavey:

Alan_A
September 14th, 2009, 12:29
I have a much better proposition....

When everyone here calls Jesus Christ their Savior, Master & makes Him (Jesus) King in their lives; then you'll will be "Holy enough" for me to address each of you by your first names :icon_lol:; till then, thats the deal. :wavey:

I

This Jewish-born Zen practitioner will happily be addressed as Mister, then.

Peace, bro'...

spotlope
September 14th, 2009, 12:33
Happy birthday, Jim! :icon29:

-Mr. Bill

JayKae
September 14th, 2009, 12:34
......then you'll will be "Holy enough" for me to address each of you by your first names ; till then, thats the deal..... Isn't that the wrong way around, now that we are not holy, you call us mister and that but when we raise to the status of being holy, you would call us by our first name? Shouldn't you call us Sire then or something? ;)

I agree with Alan though, I guess that this Jewish born Australian/Dutchman will just keep calling you Mr. as well ;)

JamesChams
September 14th, 2009, 12:36
LOL - Now that's funny :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

... Jesus is your Bro, too!!! Not only Jewish-born but, Messiah, as well!:wiggle:

Nick C
September 14th, 2009, 12:38
I'm just pleased this thread stayed on the right side of peoples moods for once. :applause:

So with all that said, Happy Birthday Mr James F. Chams.

:icon29::icon29::icon29:

Nick C
September 14th, 2009, 12:39
He's not my brother...unless he's just had a baby?

Henry
September 14th, 2009, 12:41
Happy Birthday
Jim
King Henry XI:engel016:
Have a great Birthday
H

MCDesigns
September 14th, 2009, 12:43
Happy B-Day James!!! :ernae::ernae:

JamesChams
September 14th, 2009, 12:43
Can't you guys see that I'm totally "pulling your legs" ??? LOL :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

JayKae
September 14th, 2009, 12:44
Oh yes, before I forget too, happy birthday mate

'Pulling my leg' ? I am Aussie, we take nothing serious LMAO

JamesChams
September 14th, 2009, 12:45
Thanks for the greetings guys! And, I'll see what I can do to call you Mr., Mrs., Master, Ms. or even just plan old ( " Fill in the Blank " ).:wavey:

Henry
September 14th, 2009, 12:45
Can't you guys see that I'm totally "pulling your legs" ??? LOL :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:
OK
Happy Unbirthday
James:icon_lol:
HXI

JamesChams
September 14th, 2009, 12:57
LOL - Mr. Henry, I'm hoping you'll except Christ but NOT demanding it. So, You'll have to call me Mr. James Chams, like Nick from now on. :icon_lol: except for today, you may call me Jim, because of my Birthday. :mixedsmi:

Thank you all for the wishes - Having a party tonight, you'll all invited and the :icon29: is on me...
BTW: We'll be serving communion, as well so, have a repentant heart. :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

And, Jesus loves you all! ;)

IanP
September 14th, 2009, 12:59
I have a brother? Yeesh. Must warn my sister that she gained another sibling... I dunno. More presents to buy for <insert festival="" name="" here="">[ insert festival name here ].

Happy Birthday! :ernae:</insert>

spotlope
September 14th, 2009, 13:27
Did somebody see the line? I think we crossed it a while back, but I've backed up and I can't find it now. Oh well, time for another :icon29:.

JamesChams
September 14th, 2009, 13:41
We sure did! Bill; a.k.a. Mr. Bill Womack (developer)! :kilroy:

Thanks for the wishes and I especially wanted to say thank you for your sceneries. I hope that when I get home, sometime this week, I'll get to fly my newly purchases A2A Cub in Tongrass X and Plum Island X. You, Mr. Jay Kae's, and the entire OBRX Team keep up the good work! Your stuff is on my MUST HAVE LIST for FSX.:jump:

OK Gents, after tonight (beginning on Sept. 15th) everybody goes back to being Mr., Mrs./Ma'dam, Master, and Ms. until everyone calls me Mr. James Chams or accepts Jesus Christ :engel016:; which ever come first. LOL :icon_lol:
(except for Nick who is being addressed as Nick ONLY until tomorrow when he becomes Winston "the Monkey Boy" Churchill, again for starting this thread :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: - Just Kidding! :kilroy:)

Now, I'm going to be leaving the airport to go out for my dinner party. Later, Gents! :wavey:

SirBenn21
September 14th, 2009, 14:05
And, Jesus loves you all! ;)

Amen

And :birthday: for yesterday

Ben

Alan_A
September 14th, 2009, 14:30
Did somebody see the line? I think we crossed it a while back, but I've backed up and I can't find it now. Oh well, time for another :icon29:.

Yeah, I definitely felt a wing go over but maybe we pulled it back in time. Not sure. Will have to check after we land and see if the tip's still there...:kilroy:

falcon409
September 14th, 2009, 14:41
. . . . .after tonight. . . . .everybody goes back to being Mr., Mrs./Ma'dam, Master, and Ms. until everyone calls me Mr. James Chams or excepts Jesus Christ; which ever come first.
Well, I promise "James", you will never be addressed as Mr James Chams by me beyond this one post. The forum's too laid back and casual to stand on formalities, this also makes me "falcon" or "Fal" or "falcon409", non of which get Mr. before them. Thank You.

Bone
September 14th, 2009, 18:49
Happy Birthday Jim. The essence of this thread was swirling in the out-house crapper and rising toward the rim, and I'm glad no one got splashed. Call it another close call in aviation.

Matt Wynn
September 14th, 2009, 19:01
i got splashed! which one of you had too many beers on Mr. J.C's tab?! :icon_lol:
Ian the next coming festival Is Smoothieday :icon_lol: ok not gullible enough for that, was a good shot for random gifts :icon_lol: back to propping up the bar, hope you had a good Birthday anyhoo :icon29:

centuryseries
September 15th, 2009, 10:45
My name is Deidre Barlow.

But only at the weekends.

If someone calls me Mr I'd assume I'm talking to Dell tech support. :icon_lol:

Nick: shouldn't it be Mr Nick 'Oh Yass' Churchill ? :guinness:

Bjoern
September 15th, 2009, 10:53
When everyone here calls Jesus Christ their Savior, Master & makes Him (Jesus) King in their lives; then you'll will be "Holy enough" for me to address each of you by your first names :icon_lol:; till then, thats the deal.

I'm my own god, saviour, master and king in my life.

Does that als count, Mr. Chams?

:icon_lol:

Oh, and a happy (belated?) birthday to you! Live long and prosper. :d :ernae:

Nick C
September 15th, 2009, 11:33
Nick: shouldn't it be Mr Nick 'Oh Yass' Churchill ? :guinness:

"Oh yass, yass, yass, no, no no".

centuryseries
September 15th, 2009, 12:15
Hahahahahah!! :ernae:

noddy
September 16th, 2009, 04:58
Oh yaass.

Snuffy
September 16th, 2009, 05:30
He's never called me Mr - Im so jealous of you guys :kilroy:

I would have thought you'd prefer to be called Inspector ...

Got it Inspector Gajit .... (of course not being to bright myself, I may be mispronouncing your name as gadget ... )

:banghead:

Ya'll can call me anything you want I've been known to answer to just about anything.

:icon_lol:

You should have heard some of the things the Ex called me ... and yet I answered to them too.

:sleep:

CBris
September 16th, 2009, 07:30
I just dropped in after a hard day at work. What a great spot of comic relief this is! Thanks guys. I needed that.

So like that whisky, which insist on a "THE" before its name, I shall now expect to be know as THE EagleSkinner...

What I'll probably get though, is '...that a.h. who does nothing but complain about insignificant problems in betatests... '

Or like a popstar who prefers "Symbol" previously know as Prints ;) you can call me ... oh! There is no symbol (yet) to describe me.

By the way - I have a very big bowl of the finest Saxa on my desk - because every time I come only, I take a very big pinch out of it.

Keep the humour coming...

JamesChams
September 16th, 2009, 10:36
...Or like a popstar who prefers "Symbol" previously know as Prints ;)
.... Keep the humour coming...
Mr. Chris B "CBRIS",

Out of all the posts here, you made me laugh the most ... And I think his name use to be "Prince"... Are they still calling him that? :icon_lol:

============================================

Gents,

Today, being the 16th, everybody goes back to being Mr., Master., Ms., Mrs. & Ma'dame by me, respectfully, of course. :engel016: As long as everyone is kind and respectful, we'll all get along fine with one another no matter what surfix gets put before each one's names.

Except for Nick, because he has some horrible dreams of school teachers. :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Nick C
September 16th, 2009, 10:57
Oh yaass.

I think it's time for a new avatar...oh yes, yes, yes.

spotlope
September 16th, 2009, 11:09
Woof!

JamesChams
September 16th, 2009, 11:20
Nice Avatar, Nick!:applause:

Also, Did you guys hear about this...

http://www.fsim.net/fsglobal2010/pics/fsglobal2010_box.jpg (http://www.fsim.net/fsim2/index.asp)

Wonder how your sceneries will deal with that? Will it need updating, you think?

JayKae
September 16th, 2009, 13:36
lol I think we all have those James, in highschool as soon as I heard the Mr. followed by my surname, I knew I was in for it

peter12213
September 16th, 2009, 14:20
You can call me anything here..for a price hahahahahaha