PDA

View Full Version : i broke down and took yalls advice..now i gots trouble

Daveroo
September 11th, 2009, 07:37
Hi all...

i started using firefox instead of IE8...but ive found i have very little control of my downloads..you start a download and a lil box comes up and asks you what you want to do..save or open..but it gives you no options as to where to save it to....some of you firefox boys tell me how to fix this? seems i have files all over the place now

Chacha
September 11th, 2009, 07:49
I use Opera and Safari, I don't use IE... used to and found out we (IE and me) are not compatible! :icon_lol:

I hope you sort it out soon. There are a lot of gurus in the house. Wishing you all the success... :ernae:

Joe P
September 11th, 2009, 07:57
If you go up to the "Tools" menu, Go to "Options". That's where you can change the download destination.

stoney71
September 11th, 2009, 07:58
Hi all...

i started using firefox instead of IE8...but ive found i have very little control of my downloads..you start a download and a lil box comes up and asks you what you want to do..save or open..but it gives you no options as to where to save it to....some of you firefox boys tell me how to fix this? seems i have files all over the place now

I have been using firefox for a while now, and I have never had the problem you are having with any version before. When the little box comes up and asks to save or open, I choose save and then another little box pops up and asks where to save the file (it is almost like using Windows Explorer). I can save the file anywhere on my computer, if you are not seeing the little box that asks you where you want to save the file maybe you need to change a setting, but I'm not sure how. I hope this helps a little...

Navy Chief
September 11th, 2009, 08:04
Echo the reply by Stoney71. Simply change your download options. No problem. Also, (I believe) by default, Firefox automatically downloads and installs updates. I always deselect that option, because I want to be in control of what is installed on my computer!!!

But I much prefer Firefox to either IE or Opera. I tried Opera, but for me it was way too buggy.

NC

OBIO
September 11th, 2009, 08:29
As JoeP stated, go to Tools, Options, click the Main tab. About halfway down that pop up box you will see the options for saving downloads. Put the dot in the "Always asks were to save files to" thingie.

I have been using Firefox for a year or so now and much prefer it over IE.

OBIO

Moparmike
September 11th, 2009, 08:29
Yup, like NC posted, the default settings for Downloads are in a folder in your My Docs folder called "Downloads". You can change it to another location or select an option that will let you specify the download destination folder for each download.

Here's how I have those two features set up...

Cratermaker
September 11th, 2009, 09:42
And if you ever get confused as to where the file got saved for whatever reason, you can Ctrl-J, right click on the file, and choose "Open Containing Folder". It will even highlight the file for you. :mixedsmi:

Lateral-G
September 11th, 2009, 10:09
I haven't used IE's browser for several years now (only when I have to at work because our apps only work on it).

Firefox is lightyears better than IE.

-G-

Daveroo
September 11th, 2009, 10:40
ok thanks all did as told and looks like it what i needed....tanks

brad kaste
September 11th, 2009, 11:04
...Getting off the track here for a wee moment,.....I went into the Firefox option settings to look around a bit. By clicking the 'Advanced' screen one has the opportunity to view the history of what downloads Firefox had installed. I was surprised to see the first security date is listed as December 31st, 1969.
Holy cow,.......1969! Is that possible??? Or is this some sort of techno mistake?

djscoo
September 11th, 2009, 11:41
12/31/1969 is like the fallback date for computers...A lot of times if you visit a website under construction or experiencing problems, It'll list that as the date. After Hurricane Ike, when cell phone service was just getting restored my phone listed that as the date for a few hours.

Cratermaker
September 11th, 2009, 13:24
At a place I used to work I would sometimes see e-mails dated Dec. 31, 2031 sent to me... unfortunately, I never got any winning lottery numbers or Superbowl scores.