PDA

View Full Version : Bad Weather Sux!

SirBenn21
September 9th, 2009, 15:02
All it does is sux up all your resourses.

Funny enough I love to fly chalanging missions with overcast, blizzard and raining conditions, but my PC slows down to a crawl (+- 6 to 11 fps) which is so frustrating.
I use REX, but even FSX default textures drain my machine. If I fly with "fair" weather conditioins I easily get anywhare from 35 - 100 fps depending where I fly.
Any sugestions?

:(

Ben

peter12213
September 9th, 2009, 15:10
You tried just using the slider for weather I used to use my weather maxed out but I just discovered putting the slider all the way up helps and it works a treat!
By the tern slider I mean, you know when you open the settings menu, just put the weather slider all the way up and see if that helps mate, I'm also a Rex2 user!

MCDesigns
September 9th, 2009, 15:24
Ben, yep, it does take away from performance, to much going on and being displayed in the sim. It was this way with FS9 early on. I remember when I finally upgraded so i could use real weather in FS9, what a glorious day, but made me spolied since I couldn't imagine flying without it. I remember the first time I started a flight in FS9 with a VFR flightplan and the weather sucked and they wouldn't give me clearance because I filed VFR, learned something that day.:redface:

Do you use a 3rd party weather engine? they usually have options to help with performance..

peter12213
September 9th, 2009, 15:45
MC he said he uses REX mate! Your right that does have options for lower performance comps like mine :frown:

harleyman
September 9th, 2009, 15:46
You can try setting you sight distance to 30-40 miles so the sim is not building weather you can not see...

peter12213
September 9th, 2009, 16:00
Yeah Harleyman mate, the detail radius do you mean?

CG_1976
September 9th, 2009, 16:02
Try flying with REX up in the Arctic. Shameless clouds and all options are driving me fps tweeking crazy. But I love a challenging enviroment and Solving the FPS issues up here.

peter12213
September 9th, 2009, 16:18
We'll have to fly together up there some day TBH thats one place I hardly fly mate!

harleyman
September 9th, 2009, 17:06
Yeah Harleyman mate, the detail radius do you mean?

Um No....I meant setting your visibility to 30-40 miles in the sim....

Sorry for being confusing....

MCDesigns
September 9th, 2009, 17:08
MC he said he uses REX mate! Your right that does have options for lower performance comps like mine :frown:

My bad, was thinking it was the original REX and that it didn't have the weather engine.

SirBenn21
September 9th, 2009, 21:39
Yip just to clarify that I do use REX 2.

Thanks guys. I'll try use your suggestions when I get home tonight and let you all know what the outcome was.

Ben

Daube
September 10th, 2009, 01:21
All it does is sux up all your resourses.

Funny enough I love to fly chalanging missions with overcast, blizzard and raining conditions, but my PC slows down to a crawl (+- 6 to 11 fps) which is so frustrating.
I use REX, but even FSX default textures drain my machine. If I fly with "fair" weather conditioins I easily get anywhare from 35 - 100 fps depending where I fly.
Any sugestions?

:(

Ben

The default textures are a ressource-hog !!
Their impact on the FPS is very high, I have never understood why.
Now I use some alternative cumulus textures from FS9, much easier on the FPS, much better looking too.

Bjoern
September 10th, 2009, 11:02
I found the impact of weather on performance actually worse in FS9.

Can't complain about FSX in that regard. Even with 3480305 custom layers of clouds I still don't get much of a FPS hit.