PDA

View Full Version : SBuilderX Problem

falcon409
September 9th, 2009, 08:31
Here's what's happening. I won't go into the story again on how this happened, but the drive letter for the external drive that housed my SBuilderX program changed. I went into the SBuilder.cfg file and corrected the drive letter, I went into the regedit program and replace every instance of the old drive letter to the new one. . .ran it several times to be sure. . .I find no instance anywhere of the old drive letter.

When I try to load any project I did prior to this I get an immediate error message that it cannot access a file from the old drive letter, that there is a problem with the map I'm trying to access and that it will be deleted. There isn't an option to cancel, just "ok". After that, I can still access the original bmp but it insists on reconfiguring it, which I let it do and it locates it on the screen as normal. If I highlite it and tell it to compile, it doesn't see it as a map any longer. What this ends up meaning is that every single project I've done (about 18 of them) must be started over from scratch. Is there any way to debug this problem and save me having to redo every single project?

tobob
September 9th, 2009, 10:18
Hey falcon409,

I personally don't know how to fix your problem, however check this site out. It's hosted by the creator of sbuilderx Luís Vieira de Sá. Maybe he can help you.

http://www.ptsim.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=22

This is another helpful design site.

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/index.php

Hope this helps with your problem.

Dan

falcon409
September 9th, 2009, 10:41
Thanks Dan,
I can't post to the first link as I've been asked not to return there, lol. As for the other. . .I will copy what I've posted here and see what response I get. Definitely a frustrating situation.

Thanks.

Meshman
September 9th, 2009, 17:28
Don't know if this will work or not, but trying isn't going to do any damage.

First, backup the .SBP files before working on them.

Second, download and install this hex editor; http://www.softcircuits.com/cygnus/fe/

Think of a hex editor as something like Notepad.

Third, open one of the .SBP files and in the right hand panel you will see the drive and folder listing. Change the drive letter to what the drive should now be and save the file. See if it loads in SBX or not. If it does, you're back in business. If not, ... :173go1::173go1::173go1:

falcon409
September 9th, 2009, 17:43
Ok Meshman. . . .simple as pie. You saved me a whole bunch of sleepless night's. I can't thank you enough. It's tough eating crow, but not bad once ya get past the beak, lol.

Thanks again.

Meshman
September 9th, 2009, 19:39
Glad it was something simple and that you can get back to work!

But I hate to be the bearer of bad news... To get your island to show up in the GPS you are going to have to go back and make that hole in the water poly. It doesn't *have* to be a perfect match to the photo work, but pretty darn close. Remember, while you see photo scenery in FSX, all FSX sees is a texture sitting on top of a water poly. Photo work is just another texture. Since there is no land mass that the (photo) texture is sitting on FSX displays the area as water.

falcon409
September 9th, 2009, 20:20
Glad it was something simple and that you can get back to work!

But I hate to be the bearer of bad news... To get your island to show up in the GPS you are going to have to go back and make that hole in the water poly. It doesn't *have* to be a perfect match to the photo work, but pretty darn close. Remember, while you see photo scenery in FSX, all FSX sees is a texture sitting on top of a water poly. Photo work is just another texture. Since there is no land mass that the (photo) texture is sitting on FSX displays the area as water.

Meshman, I did cut the hole. After you mentioned that to me, I went back in and cut the hole by actually tracing around each and every portion of the Islands that make up that small set. . .so that's been done.

GaryGB
September 10th, 2009, 07:49
Hi Lance:

I was wondering if you might have some ideas on how to achieve both a workaround and a more efficient workflow when producing isands in FSX where both a GPS Map view and "3D rendered / in-flight" view are required / desired? :ques:

If you get some time and have the inclination, perhaps you might take a look at these threads ?

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16237

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16907

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?p=111020#post111020

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?p=111019#post111019

Thanks for any input you might have to offer on these intriguing issues and possibilities. :mixedsmi:

GaryGB

Meshman
September 10th, 2009, 07:58
Meshman, I did cut the hole. After you mentioned that to me, I went back in and cut the hole by actually tracing around each and every portion of the Islands that make up that small set. . .so that's been done.

If you get the chance, go into SBX and make sure any of the photo stuff is deleted, save to a new file where there's just the big water poly and the hole, zip it up and post it for download somewhere. I'll try to take a look at it, but I'm trying to get a web site set up in the next couple, three days and I know NOTHING about setting up web sites, so time may be scarce!!:isadizzy:

falcon409
September 10th, 2009, 10:54
If you get the chance, go into SBX and make sure any of the photo stuff is deleted, save to a new file where there's just the big water poly and the hole, zip it up and post it for download somewhere. I'll try to take a look at it, but I'm trying to get a web site set up in the next couple, three days and I know NOTHING about setting up web sites, so time may be scarce!!:isadizzy:
Will do. I use Box.net, so I'll upload there and post a direct link.

falcon409
September 10th, 2009, 13:02
Ok,

Here's the direct link for download. Hope everything you need is there.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/m0hze5bsx2.zip

Meshman
September 10th, 2009, 18:51
Took a quick look at the .SBP file and though it's been a while for me getting involved in SBX and the SDKs you can try this and see if it works. First, one small poly on the east island, in the harbor area, it isn't set as a hole, so it's doing nothing sitting there. The other islands / polys are set as holes, but they have no tag applied to them. So I would tag each of them with something and compile and see if they show back up in the GPS. They *should* from what I can remember. Since they have no tagging I don't believe they're being recognized by the sim, even though they compile OK.

If that doesn't work? I'll dig up my Hawai'i stuff and look at what I did. But that's not going to be before early next week.

Remember, doesn't matter what you tag the polys with, be it dirt, golf course, Saharan igloos, since photo is going over the top it all gets covered up.

falcon409
September 10th, 2009, 20:18
Yea, I noticed when I was setting it up to zip everything that I had missed that one small Island. I'll give your suggestions a try and see what happens. I'll let you know. How's the website going? Is it FS related?

Thanks for all your assistance.:ernae:

Meshman
September 11th, 2009, 17:21
And.... took a glance through at the Dev site, but I chose not to participate there any more.

To have SBX process a night texture, click on the edge of the Map so it turns green, right click and choose Properties, hit the Seasons tab and you can direct SBX to the file that is the night texture. Don't forget, good designers do all FIVE seasonal variants too!!

Now you know why I like working in Hawai'i, there aren't any stinkin seasonal variants!! :ernae:

falcon409
September 11th, 2009, 20:16
. . . .Now you know why I like working in Hawai'i, there aren't any stinkin seasonal variants!!
Yep, lol, good choice. I seem to have bottom out here for a bit because of the night textures, but I'll get back into those now and get them done. Thanks:applause: