PDA

View Full Version : Yak 18T taxi question

VPL Paolo Lao
September 8th, 2009, 20:27
Hi buddies, any ideas on how to make this bird steer, thus the nose gear wont castor,. Any ideas on how to make it work?:wavey:

fliger747
September 8th, 2009, 22:32
In the cfg file in the contact points, the first line will be nose/tail wheel. To make a gear castor the steering angle should be entered as "180". If it is entered as "0", the gear will not swivel. Steerable nose wheels (almost unknown on WWII aiercraft) will have an angular entry such "30 or 40". Differential brakes entered on the brake lines will assist those without pedals as differential braking will be applied commensurate with rudder application.

Cheers: t.

Rich
September 8th, 2009, 23:26
Paolo, it does'nt seem to have castoring modeled, though the gear leg is animated up and down there is no turning movement, you may remember you have had this on other models.

Contact points nosewheel steering is the first place I looked and the steering bit was 0.0, changed to 180 with no effect so I suspect not modeled

It does have differential braking but no nose wheel turn modeled

Z-claudius24
September 9th, 2009, 03:29
Hi,

0 or 180 give same result .. no movement !
Please use a other number instead .. like 40

Bye.

Tom Clayton
September 9th, 2009, 06:53
Claudius, if the nose gear is set to castor, simply using rudder input to steer will do nothing. You have to use differential braking or use a short burst of throttle along with the rudder.

Z-claudius24
September 9th, 2009, 08:49
Hi,

It's work for me (turning on ground with rudder .. despite the nosewheel dont move .. as it's set in the model I suppose) .. no need of differential braking
It's a fix (a complete modification .. simplist) posted today at Flightsim.com

Bye.

VPL Paolo Lao
September 9th, 2009, 09:45
Thank you guys for your replies/inputs, it seems that the nosewheel wont castor,. Yes Rich its not modeled to move prior on applying differential brakes. I thought that I was not doing it correctly or missing something, now I can stop looking for a fix :icon_lol:,. Already edited the steer angle to 180.

many thanks
pao.

VPL Paolo Lao
September 9th, 2009, 10:31
Just something I read bro's, the real thing really has no nose wheel steering, ohh dear :icon_lol:. here's the link http://www.yakuk.com/yak18t-flight-report.asp

Rich
September 9th, 2009, 19:36
Maybe no physical nose wheel steering on the real thing but I would suspect it would castor otherwise very difficult and huge radius turns not to mention expensive on nose tyres

Just something I read bro's, the real thing really has no nose wheel steering, ohh dear :icon_lol:. here's the link http://www.yakuk.com/yak18t-flight-report.asp