PDA

View Full Version : Beatles Remasters

Eoraptor1
September 7th, 2009, 18:55
Anyone planning to get these? So far, everyone I know who's heard them says they're amazing.

JAMES

Wing_Z
September 7th, 2009, 20:04
One more time...
Anyone NOT planning to get them?? :d
I'll pass on the game though.

sandar
September 8th, 2009, 00:09
I have plenty of Beatles recordings, on vinyl, tape and CD. Before my deck packed up, I listened to some of the old mono recordings and strangely, I thought they were better. I am not too sure if I can explain what I mean. I 'saw' them live once. Actually I saw very little of them and heard even less because of the awful shrieking from the hysterical females of the species. Just about the worst concert I ever went to.
The old vinyl records were more evocative and "of the era". OK I could do without the scratches and hissing and I often listen to the clear, multi speaker (can't call it stereo anymore) CD's and, yes they are excellent as, I suspect this new stuff will be, but I still like the old stuff as well. I suppose it's a bit like seeing First World War pictures and film clips in colour, doesn't seem right somehow.

Oh well nostalgia just isn't what it used to be! :kilroy:

Wing_Z
September 8th, 2009, 12:08
'tis said that you really need one of these to properly appreciate Beatles music...:d

Navy Chief
September 8th, 2009, 14:04
My aunt took my sisters and me to see the Beatles, when they played at the Indianapolis Coliseum, September 3, 1964. I was 11 years old. Our seats were in the "nosebleed" section, and so far from the stage, we could barely see them. As for the sound, it was impossible to hear them sing, because of the screaming of the fans! Their performances (two of them that day) were about 7 months after their infamous first appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show.

What a impact the Fab Four had on this country. Unbelievable.

Oh, and a side note about that concert. All the tickets had the pictures of the Beatles on them. We threw away the stubs. Who knew?

NC

Eoraptor1
September 8th, 2009, 14:31
I have plenty of Beatles recordings, on vinyl, tape and CD. Before my deck packed up, I listened to some of the old mono recordings and strangely, I thought they were better. I am not too sure if I can explain what I mean. I 'saw' them live once. Actually I saw very little of them and heard even less because of the awful shrieking from the hysterical females of the species. Just about the worst concert I ever went to.
The old vinyl records were more evocative and "of the era". OK I could do without the scratches and hissing and I often listen to the clear, multi speaker (can't call it stereo anymore) CD's and, yes they are excellent as, I suspect this new stuff will be, but I still like the old stuff as well. I suppose it's a bit like seeing First World War pictures and film clips in colour, doesn't seem right somehow.

Oh well nostalgia just isn't what it used to be! :kilroy:

sandar, this isn't just your imagination. Many audiophiles feel that the initial release of the Beatles catalog was a disappointment; that the transfer from the master tapes to digital was done indifferently, which is why these new remasters are so highly anticipated. What they did this go round is transfer the original master tapes to modern ProTools digital files. Now, I have acquaintances who hate ProTools, and think that it's homoginized modern music, but I'm solidly in favor of high fidelity. I have ZERO nostalgia for surface noise, tape hiss, and that evil 60 cycle hum that comes from single-coil pickups. The funny thing is, as an old college friend has already stated online, the first thing many people are going to do is transfer their CDs to MP3 files, which even on "Lossless" setting is going to cause some compression. Still, I haven't met a dog mean enough to bite these new remasters on audio terms. Everyone I know whose heard them loves them. I've been a Beatles fan for as long as I remember, but what I hope doesn't happen is the wave of nostalgia that's sure to follow doesn't try to recreate them as little gods. IMO, this belittles their accomplishments. I've read a lot of Greek Mythology; a god can wave his hand and do magic; a musician has to put in the work.

ATTN: Navy Chief,

You see that big Gretsch George Harrison is playing? That's the instrument my father thought I should have played, but he never bought me one. I worked the grill for a summer and bought a Stratocaster, which he thought of mainly as a toy. Was that industry or rebellion?

JAMES

Navy Chief
September 8th, 2009, 14:43
You see that big Gretsch George Harrison is playing? That's the instrument my father thought I should have played, ..... JAMES

I don't know anything about musical instruments in general; but that Gretsch is a big guitar!

Eoraptor1
September 8th, 2009, 16:31
I don't know anything about musical instruments in general; but that Gretsch is a big guitar!

They're beautiful instruments, but pricey. They have a big rich sound, very distinctive.

Gretsch gear page HERE: http://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/

JAMES

Navy Chief
September 8th, 2009, 16:41
I always wanted to play drums, but my dad said "nope". He wanted me to learn to play the bass fiddle, but no way. No offense if anyone here plays one though!

I just think the ability to play drums is an amazing talent. So much coordination! Years of practice to be able to play them well. Gretsch makes drums along with several other companies, I guess. When I was a kid, the Ludwig brand was big. Years ago, when Billy Joel was touring after he hit the big time, I remember his drummer, Liberty Devitto, played with the TAMA brand.

NC

Cazzie
September 8th, 2009, 16:59
Never cared for the Beatles, too schlock girlie for me, I preferred something a little more nasty like the Stones.

But I hated going to any large concert, especially in a coliseum, still do. Prefer to see a good juke band in a dive.

Speaking of juke music, this fellow and I rode bikes togetjher in the 1970s until he moved to the left coast and made a new name (literally) for himself. His Christian name was Neill Kirby McMillian, Jr. (Kirby), but you folks are more familiar with his aka, Mojo Nixon.

Kirby's no longer playing on stage, but still lives in San Diego and hosts three shows on Sirius satellite radio. He's still as funny and off the wall as ever. His brother, Artie, and I still ride on occasion and I last saw Kirby two years ago when he took time off to come here to see family and old mates.

Kirby, as Mojo is the Godfather of what is termed "Psychobilly" music.

Caz

Here's a sample just in case any of you haven't heard this nut's stuff! Run the kiddies away, some expletives in the song, but nothing lewd except for rednecks.

O7VCHj2OSdw

cheezyflier
September 8th, 2009, 19:13
the best tool to appreciate the beatles catalog is
http://www.firstaidmonster.com/images/products/FAM_ULTRAFIT_WCORD_EARPLUGS-2758.jpg

but if you really want to hear them you need this

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3212/2999518807_d22073b18b.jpg

Snuffy
September 8th, 2009, 19:16
I wouldn't waste my money on this. :wiggle:

Eoraptor1
September 8th, 2009, 20:02
ATTN: Cazzie,

Would this be the same Mojo Nixon who wrote that romantic ballad for MTV VJ Martha Quinn, called "Stuffin' Martha's Muffin"?

ATTN: Navy Chief,

Drums were my father's main instrument, but he wasn't a rock guy; he was a hard core jazz man.

JAMES

Cazzie
September 9th, 2009, 04:18

Would this be the same Mojo Nixon who wrote that romantic ballad for MTV VJ Martha Quinn, called "Stuffin' Martha's Muffin"?

JAMES

That it would be, also penned "Elvis is Everywhere" and "Debbie Gibson is Pregnant with my Two-Headed Love Child". The Holy Trinity to Mojo is Elvis, Foghorn Leghorn, and Otis Campbell. :icon_lol:

Caz

Moses03
September 9th, 2009, 09:37
Mostly anything from Revolver on I would be interested. Would like to hear some samples first though.

Eoraptor1
September 9th, 2009, 10:48
Mostly anything from Revolver on I would be interested. Would like to hear some samples first though.

Revolver is my favorite Beatles album, Moses. My favorite songs are actually on Magical Mystery Tour, but I think Revolver is their strongest album. I did get Sgt. Pepper today as a gift, but I haven't listened to it yet through the Bose speakers. Pepper isn't my favorite album (as I've said) but I think "A Day in the Life" is their masterpiece.

Next time you speak to Mr. Nixon, tell him that your net buddy James considers him a misunderstood love poet. The one lyric I always remember from my yoot: "You can get married, and REALLY screw up your life/But you can't buy beer..."

JAMES

Cazzie
September 9th, 2009, 11:41

Next time you speak to Mr. Nixon, tell him that your net buddy James considers him a misunderstood love poet. The one lyric I always remember from my yoot: "You can get married, and REALLY screw up your life/But you can't buy beer..."

JAMES

ROTFLMAO! :icon_lol:

That I shall do!

Caz

JimC1702
September 9th, 2009, 13:56
I was going to pass on these. I had already bought the British albums when they were first released on CD, then also bought the US albums when they were released on CD. But, I'm a sucker for music and ordered Abbey Road, Sgt. Pepper's, and the White Album today.

Jim

Cactuskid
September 9th, 2009, 17:06
I have the complete British release original Beatles box set on vinyl from EMI. The new CD's would have to go a long way to top the sound quality of these records, but I'll give them a listen, mainly 'cause I can't play records in the car... :kilroy:

Navy Chief
September 10th, 2009, 02:23
I liked everything the Beatles did prior to their going "cosmic". I think it was the Magical Mystery Tour....or maybe it was the White Album? Can't remember. But their style changed then. Didn't like it.

NC

Eoraptor1
September 14th, 2009, 05:28
I liked everything the Beatles did prior to their going "cosmic". I think it was the Magical Mystery Tour....or maybe it was the White Album? Can't remember. But their style changed then. Didn't like it.

NC

IMHO, before Rubber Soul, the Beatles were basically a 4-member combo. Rubber Soul was the transitional album. By the time they get to Revolver, they are a complete pastiche with rock n' roll influences. Sgt. Pepper repeatedly makes the Top 5 of establishment rock critcs' Greatest Albums of All Time lists, but I submit that there's very little rock n' roll on it. What does "Within You Without You" or "Being For the Benefit of Mr. Kite" have to do with Little Richard or Gene Vincent and the Blue Caps?

Remember: just my opinion. Not the Voice of the Burning Bush.

Alright. I now own or have heard the remasters of Abbey Road, Sgt Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, and Revolver. In short, I'm willing to say that if you're a Beatles fan with a good cd player and stereo receiver, the remasters are worth at least a listen. Whether they're worth buying is an issue between you and your wallet.

I've had Sgt. Pepper the longest, because this was the initial cd release that had been most disappointing to me. I had a cassette recording made for me by a college friend from LP on good equipment that I felt sounded much better than what was released on compact disc. With the new remaster I could hear the difference even through the little Altec speakers and sub-woofer on my computer. Playing through my kiddie disc player with line out to the Bose speakers, the difference was enormous. They've really cleaned up this recording. I can only imagine what it sounds like through a really high-end system. Something like the afforementioned "Mr. Kite" is especially immersive, and "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds" sounded like the band was right in the room with me. I could hear defined bass notes, and clear drum fills that I couldn't hear on the previous CD editions. Abbey Road is also very impressive, especially "I Want You/She's So Heavy".

Funny, one thing this set of reissues has definitely done is get me to play Compact Discs again. I play 99% of my music on the computer nowadays; it's just easier than hunting through a stack of discs. I suspect a lot of people are going to download these cuts straight to their iPods and lose a lot of definition. This is an important point. I know that on my system, once the cds were converted to MP3 files, even on maximum quality, I couldn't hear much of a difference between the new versions of Revolver and Magical Mystery Tour and the older CDs, and that's how a lot of people are going to experience them. These are going to be the people who report to the music blogs that they've been ripped off. I should mention here that it's now possible to buy a sound card/home theater combo online or at an outlet store that's a hair breath away from a pricey stereo system in quality, but I don't know a lot of people who own thsse, so I can't say in confidence what they'd sound like. The people I know who are having religious experiences listening to these reworks are generally audiophiles with higher end systems who have preserved their hearing against modern amplification at rock shows and in dance clubs. Your friends who are saying "What?" all the time may not hear the difference.

I, personally, being p*ss poor, will probably get Past Masters I& II before the end of the year, and then stop. With my current sound equipment, the boxed set isn't worth it.

JAMES

PS There's a nice little QuickTime mini-documentary included with each cd. It's pleasant to watch for Beatles people because you get to hear the bands' recollections in their own voices, but it's nothing hard core Beatlemaniacs haven't already heard.

Wing_Z
September 14th, 2009, 12:44
I have the complete British release original Beatles box set on vinyl from EMI. The new CD's would have to go a long way to top the sound quality of these records, but I'll give them a listen, mainly 'cause I can't play records in the car... :kilroy:
I also have that set, and a Linn Sondek to play them on :kilroy:
For that reason I have never been tempted to buy the CD's ... for the car, you would make MP3's from the vinyl and get arguably a better sound experience.
(Although, for fear of the Played Finally to Death Syndrome, I never have).

But I did buy the Cirque de Soleil remaster and was stunned by its clarity and depth.

Now, reading what James has said above, the credit card is about to surf the online order page yet again...
And can I mention that is possibly the best post I've read on SOH?
I'd like to subscribe to the column, please.

Cloud9Gal
September 14th, 2009, 14:21
Yesterday, I actually looked on iTunes to get this album. Not there yet! I will definitely buy it as soon as I can make it to a store that has it.

Love the Beatles! :applause:

"She loves me yeah yeah yeah...." http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/musical/sing.gif (http://www.thesmilies.com)

Navy Chief
September 14th, 2009, 15:49
I remember watching them on The Ed Sullivan Show for their first U.S. appearance on national television. My parents let us stay up, just to watch. My two sisters and I were in amazement. The Beatles, who we'd heard so much about, were actually on tv. "She Loves You" is still one of my favorites too.

This is an actual clip from THAT show!

trZMSwHscTk

NC

Eoraptor1
September 14th, 2009, 17:01
Yesterday, I actually looked on iTunes to get this album. Not there yet! I will definitely buy it as soon as I can make it to a store that has it.

Love the Beatles! :applause:

"She loves me yeah yeah yeah...." http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/musical/sing.gif (http://www.thesmilies.com)

Cloud 9,

If you're a Beatlemaniac, it is definitely worth making it to the store to buy the CD. Nothing against iTunes.

Wing_Z,

Thank you very much for your kind comment. You've given me the confidence to post my review to the Strat forum.

JAMES

Cactuskid
September 14th, 2009, 19:41
The people I know who are having religious experiences listening to these reworks are generally audiophiles with higher end systems who have preserved their hearing against modern amplification at rock shows and in dance clubs.
JAMES

Your post rings true James. I can't wait to hear these CD's through my La Scalas, although my hearing ain't what it used to be... One war and 4 Jimi Hendrix concerts (within 30' of those Marshalls) did a number on my ears... :isadizzy:

You really should post your review over at Strat Forum! I'm sure lots of folks there would like to comment...

stiz
September 15th, 2009, 00:45
i've never really understood the beatles crazy and love for em ... over here people love em so much vera lynn's album beat the lot of em to the top of the album charts! :icon_lol:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8253410.stm

Eoraptor1
September 15th, 2009, 08:31
Your post rings true James. I can't wait to hear these CD's through my La Scalas, although my hearing ain't what it used to be... One war and 4 Jimi Hendrix concerts (within 30' of those Marshalls) did a number on my ears... :isadizzy:

You really should post your review over at Strat Forum! I'm sure lots of folks there would like to comment...

I'm glad you survived the war and the Jimi Hendrix concerts, CK. If you're into Cream, there's a Classic Artists Series DVD where Ginger Baker speaks at length about the effects of long term exposure to Marshall stacks. Apparently, in the mid-60s, PA was still rather primitive, and many rock musicians felt they had to play loud just to be heard. At the same time, Jim Marshall kept coming out with louder and more powerful amps. The whole thing becomes very Spinal Tap. After Baker's tirade, they cut to Jim Marshall who exhibits no remorse, and simply points out that they could have avoided all the subsequent hearing issues by wearing ear filters. I'm a big advocate of ear protection, even if you're just a young person who does a lot of clubbing. I've never owned a guitar amp over 50 watts, but I still have sensitivity issues with my right ear...

Thank you for your sentiments. I did post my missive to Strat-Talk.com If any of you go there, you'll occasionally see the Raptor's Skull. There's the occasional dust-up, but it's generally a very polite forum, much like the SOH in that respect. I think my post went up at about 2AM EST. I was still awake greiving over the Bills loss to the Patriots...

I forgot to recommend to all SOH Beatlemaniacs a trip over to the Official Beatles website. Lots of video and other goodies. Go HERE: www.thebeatles.com (http://www.thebeatles.com)

There's also a very good 2009 BBC interview/documentary with Sir George Martin about the Beatles available for download at Big0 Worldwide. I was listening to it early this morning, and I think it a perfect companion to the new releases. Sir George walks you through a lot of the more famous releases and discusses how they were recorded. It's about two cds worth of MP3s. Get it HERE: http://bigozine2.com/roio/?p=297

JAMES

JimC1702
September 22nd, 2009, 14:34
As I posted further up the thread, I had ordered Sgt. Pepper's, Abbey Road, and The Beatles (white album) the day they were released. They sound good but I wasn't blown away by them.

But today I got Rubber Soul, Revolver, and Past Masters and they sound awesome! I guess the other three already sounded pretty good so the difference in the remasters wasn't as startling.

The Beatles were at their peak when I was in high school. I originally resisted them because my older brother was always listening to the Beach Boys and Jan & Dean. But The Beatles eventually won out and we had a garage band in school and played mostly Beatles songs.

Listening to them still brings back fond memories.

Jim

Wing_Z
September 22nd, 2009, 14:51
Hmm I impulse bought Let it Be and gave it a listen.
Apart from a rather in-your-face percussion mix, I don't hear too much difference from the original, and certainly no improvement.
Although reading the sleeve notes I see that it was one of the most heavily remastered Beatles albums.
Perhaps I should go to an early album, rather...

Willy
September 22nd, 2009, 15:08
I'm still on the fence with the remasters, but I'd sure like a listen to Rubber Soul, Revolver and Abbey Road.

Cloud9Gal
September 22nd, 2009, 15:36
I have YET to find this darn album!!

demorier
September 22nd, 2009, 18:23
Don't tell me I gotta buy the white album AGAIN.

Eoraptor1
September 22nd, 2009, 18:35
Hmm I impulse bought Let it Be and gave it a listen.
Apart from a rather in-your-face percussion mix, I don't hear too much difference from the original, and certainly no improvement.
Although reading the sleeve notes I see that it was one of the most heavily remastered Beatles albums.
Perhaps I should go to an early album, rather...

I never cared for what Phil Spector did with Let It Be. I liked Sir Paul's more stripped down mix on Let It Be...Naked. I suppose it'll be one of those many cases of personal preference.

Thanks again for your kind sentiments.

JAMES

Hals und Bein Bruch
September 23rd, 2009, 15:31
sorry gang, these suck... of course, I've got the Mobile Fidelity Original Master box from the 80s running thru the ol' Klipschs and there is NO comparison...The redbook cd standard imposes a flat cutoff of all frequencies above 20,000 HZ and the result sounds flat and drab... better wait for the SACDs..!:running:

Eoraptor1
September 23rd, 2009, 15:43
I've got the Mobile Fidelity Original Master box from the 80s running thru the ol' Klipschs

Run with it. Happy listening.

JAMES