PDA

View Full Version : Has FSX Turned Into A

harleyman
September 7th, 2009, 18:26
Military flight sim?

Not a problem or concern of mine, but I have noticed that over the last few months that about every post and new addon is all about the Military aspect of things..

Can we have a *HELL YEA* for all the GA pilots around that still enjoy low and slow....

Last time I tried to trap, I killed everyone....LOL may they rest in peace ! :engel016:

FelixFFDS
September 7th, 2009, 18:39
Hmmm - itr reads "SIM-OUTHOUSE Combat Flight Center" ...

So I would not be surprised if there was a bias towards the military aspect of FS in here.

However .... "HELL YEA" !!

ryanbatc
September 7th, 2009, 18:39
yea!

lol, I generally fly light GA, with the occasional small jet tossed in

But isn't this the SoH "combat flight center" hehe?

Bomber_12th
September 7th, 2009, 18:46
I remember the time when I first ran across SOH, and it was practically criminal to mention anything other than warbirds - which is why I gravitated to this site over others. :)

Kiwikat
September 7th, 2009, 18:53
HELL YEA!

I will always be more interested in civilian types... :)

dswo
September 7th, 2009, 18:58
I blame SOH. Before this became my favorite forum, I used to fly civilian GA exclusively.

cheezyflier
September 7th, 2009, 19:00
that's me civvie g/a

HippyEd
September 7th, 2009, 19:07
Hell yea!!!:ernae:

Scratch
September 7th, 2009, 19:13
I never thought I would like GA till I came here. I have bought so many a/c I drive myself nuts sometimes about what I'm gonna fly next. I like military and GA equally now, I just have so dang many of them.......:isadizzy:

joanvalley
September 7th, 2009, 19:22
Military flight sim?

Not a problem or concern of mine, but I have noticed that over the last few months that about every post and new addon is all about the Military aspect of things..

Can we have a *HELL YEA* for all the GA pilots around that still enjoy low and slow....

Last time I tried to trap, I killed everyone....LOL may they rest in peace ! :engel016:

Yeah, you're correct mate! If only Cessna would stop charging for licencing FS products and if only Gulfstream would allow us to model their planes you'd see a rainbow of GA and small privates... sigh...

Jose.

Felixthreeone
September 7th, 2009, 19:37
....Game.

EasyEd
September 7th, 2009, 19:48
Hey All,

GA has certainly grown over the time I been here - that's a good thing and fortunately the FS series has not strayed into becoming a combat sim - there are other games for that.

As for the future it'll be interesting as the military steadily moves away from manned aircraft. Seems I recall the Sec of Defense saying the F35? will be the last manned aircraft the military buys. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think I read it on the CNN website months ago. So an accurate future of future military flight simming will be simulating sitting at a console remotely flying a plane. That oughta be interesting.

-Ed-

kjb
September 7th, 2009, 19:56
Strictly GA here...I have a TRC472 and the airspeed indicator doesn't go that high.

MudMarine
September 7th, 2009, 20:00
GA......sleepy time!! YAH MILITARY!!:jump::applause: If I'm going to dream about flying it'll be in a WWII fighter not a piper cub. That's just me, to each their own!:engel016:

glennc
September 7th, 2009, 20:02
Ed,

The "military" said back the Vietnam days that the days of the machine gun were over on military aircraft, too. That didn't last very long.

Back on subject: I'm mostly interested GA and vintage birds.

Glenn

Pips
September 7th, 2009, 20:18
I go both ways, so long as the aircraft are pre 1950. (No rude comments please!)

Although I have to say I fly FSX primarily because of the GA aircraft. If I want a military fix I have a surfeit of combat sims. What I would like to see is more development of pre-1930 aeroplanes, when flying was for real men! :applause:

CBris
September 7th, 2009, 20:56
I don't mind military, been there, done my bit and all that, but I am primarily anti guns and things in the MS Flight Simulator. After all, there's a 3+ age tag on the box and it should remain that way ;) So any military planes I fly are purely "civvy" flights. I don't want guns and bombs working (in MSFS), but I do like P51s and Spitties and L4s and Cessnas and the like, because without the military, we'd never have half the georgeous planes we have now.

You want to go shoot the heel out of a bad guy, you go buy a combat sim.

I am here for the people and not the theme...

andersel
September 7th, 2009, 21:00
Hell yea !!!

MenendezDiego
September 7th, 2009, 21:53
I got into FSX SOLEY based on the fact that I could fly the F/A-18A.

I'd been flying in LOMAC for about 2 years...saw a video of the default Hornet...then I saw a video of the Iris F-14A...it's the VC's that really hooked me.

I love this 'job' lol...might as well be a job considering how much time I put into it :ernae:

Diego

Lionheart
September 7th, 2009, 22:23
Civvies here. Love'em. Mainly because I want my license and my own plane which is why I got into FS in the first place.

I dont know about low and slow though 'all the time'. :d I need some speed. Now and then, I like a flight in something really slow, but normally, I need about 180 to 250 knots.

Oh yeah....!

Thats what is so darn cool about this sim. You can fly everything from a Piper Cub, to a Fokker DVIII, to an F-16, to a Piper Dakota, to a Lear 45, to a Boeing 747 complete with functioning FMC, to a Space Shuttle. Its all there.... So much to do...

Bill

CG_1976
September 7th, 2009, 22:28
SAR all the way. Who else is gonna mop up after a good crash or locate you and always on duty. Other then that I enjoy a Excellent Bush AC/Flights and formation aircraft.

OBIO
September 7th, 2009, 23:04
I have FSX..in a drawer collecting dust because my system is not up to the task of running it with any smoothness...but I do have CFS2 and FS2004. You would think that I use CFS2 as a combat sim....I do, but I actually used it more as a flight simulator....just for the joy of flying. Then I got FS2004 this last Christmas....and now I have the best of both worlds...I can fire up my combat flight sim, shoot down some planes, drop some bombs...or I can fire up the Civil Sim and just fly for the sake of flying.

My collection of planes has a bit of everything....GA, Commercial, Military. Prop, Jet, Helicopter, Blimp. From the beginning of flight up through the 80s and 90s. Heck, I even have a couple of Piglet's Star War's thingiemajigs in the mix.

My main flying is done in GA aircraft, 1950s and before. Single and twin engine. Preferably radial engines...but I have some inliners that I like a lot.

OBIO

kilo delta
September 8th, 2009, 01:50
I like both....from tootling around photoscenery in helo's and GA to doing simulated bomb runs 50ft off the deck at 500kts. I've never really been a huge fan of tube flying,however.....a little toooo mundane:engel016:.

txnetcop
September 8th, 2009, 01:59
It's both and I like it that way. I especially like all the freeware Military aircraft we have had coming our way-Dino, BAZZ, Milton, Javis, and Piglet are you listening-YOU DA MAN! It's awesome to get up to altitude quickly do a few rolls, steep banks, loops, mock shoot-downs, simulated low-level bombing, carrier traps, and later in the evening fly the bush! What a wonderful simulator we have!
To quote Bill Ortiz...WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!

Ted

jdhaenens
September 8th, 2009, 05:49
As far as scenery goes, you can count the number of folks doing custom military scenery for FSX on one hand(ok, maybe one and a half). It is an uber niche market especially for places that are not generally well known even within the military community. I can tell you that my military scenery is downloaded much more and quicker than the GA stuff but part of that has got to be the amost captive audience. My GA stuff is generally more detailed than the military stuff, but with GA scenery it seems the real estate adage is in effect "Location, location, location".

I fly both when I can find enough time to fly.

Jim

jmig
September 8th, 2009, 05:50
Mostly military fighters, then GA bush flying.

On the MSFS vs Military combat argument. A military fighter is a weapons platform. While I am not big into blowing things up, I want the "systems" to work in military airplanes. Otherwise they are just fancy high speed GA airplanes.

Warrant
September 8th, 2009, 05:56
Mostly military fighters, then GA bush flying.

On the MSFS vs Military combat argument. A military fighter is a weapons platform. While I am not big into blowing things up, I want the "systems" to work in military airplanes. Otherwise they are just fancy high speed GA airplanes.

second that

Mostly military, some GA. And if weapons work, they may make a big bang! :ernae:
And yes! This is the Sim-Outhouse Combat Flight Center. Therefore is should be Military mostly, and some GA:kilroy:

Mongo
September 8th, 2009, 06:09
Hell yes!! Tried tube flying, but it's just not my style. Fly mostly GA and executive stuff.

MCDesigns
September 8th, 2009, 06:22
I have FSX..in a drawer collecting dust because my system is not up to the task of running it with any smoothness...but I do have CFS2 and FS2004. You would think that I use CFS2 as a combat sim....I do, but I actually used it more as a flight simulator....just for the joy of flying. Then I got FS2004 this last Christmas....and now I have the best of both worlds...I can fire up my combat flight sim, shoot down some planes, drop some bombs...or I can fire up the Civil Sim and just fly for the sake of flying.

Wow, deja vu, my first sim was CFS2 and by the time I was done with it, I had installed most of FS2000 (and most addons I could find) into it, ah the memories.

I do enjoy the GA/exec part of FSX, but I really wish combat was enabled so I could have it all in one sim. I was flying my Apache around northern Afghanistan the other day and could have really used some active ordinance! :rocket:

Tweek
September 8th, 2009, 07:33
I do enjoy the GA/exec part of FSX, but I really wish combat was enabled so I could have it all in one sim. I was flying my Apache around northern Afghanistan the other day and could have really used some active ordinance! :rocket:

Could always use the addon weapons pack (weapons4.zip at FlightSim). Alright, they don't destroy anything, but simulating a few Hellfire shots shouldn't be too difficult with one of the many missiles available!

You can probably tell from my avatar what my main interest is in FSX (and indeed for real)!

IanP
September 8th, 2009, 07:39
I'll fly anything, me. I'm an airliner stint at the moment when not testing something else, but before that it was helos, before that it was classic military... Tonight it may well be GA. Or something else. or nothing.

Maybe a boat? I 'd like a good RIB in FSX that I can use for AI and try and do winch pickups from. ;)

I'm firmly in the camp of people that do anything and everything. MSFS at its best! :ernae:

MCDesigns
September 8th, 2009, 07:48
I'm with Ian, I enjoy more than just aircraft in FSX. My first flight with my new rig was around TongassX at dawn with real weather in a deltasim yacht, what a great experience.

I really miss Bill Lyons addons in FSX, they were so different and full of personality.

Matt Wynn
September 8th, 2009, 09:00
a RIB/Zodiac/Gemini would be cool, and great fun :icon_lol: and more skydiving :icon_lol: i like skydiving, it is flight after all :jump:

Lionheart
September 8th, 2009, 09:40
I'm with Ian, I enjoy more than just aircraft in FSX. My first flight with my new rig was around TongassX at dawn with real weather in a deltasim yacht, what a great experience.

I really miss Bill Lyons addons in FSX, they were so different and full of personality.

I second that Michael, but I think you meant FS9 instead of FSX. ;)

He had that cool little motorboat complete with inner front cabin area with full interior. That thing was cool! Who would have known you could have cars and boats and Zeppelins and family members that show up in the plane with you, let alone some cool 'time based' scenery and adventures that came with each package.

Remember how the Waco he did (I think it was the Waco) had elevators that drooped once you are down on the ground? Just like the real thing...

<--- salutes Bill and Lynn Lyons

Navy Chief
September 8th, 2009, 10:43
I prefer military (more specifically, 70's era USN) naturally. With me it is a way to "fly" aircraft I used to work on, and around. I became friends with Ron Zambrano many years ago, and started helping him in his projects by researching technical data to assist in accuracy.

It is through Ron's wonderful creations (and many other freeware and payware aircraft designers too!) that I am able to "relive" those days.

I do occasionally fly GA, and sometimes airliners too. One of my favorite tubes is the DC-9.

NC

gera
September 8th, 2009, 12:27
I love both types, even if I fly more ga planes.....what would aviation be without the P-51!!! or the ME-109 or..or..or...I love all airplanes to be thruthful...:kilroy:

noshadez
September 8th, 2009, 16:32
Of course without the military (free countries) there is no GA.. except for dictators and their friends who fly around monitoring all the rest who work in a salt mine and do not even know what Flight sim is.. It takes our military to keep us free to sit around in the air conditioning and fly FSX FS9.. Having an military aircraft around in flight sim with guns and bombs is a great honor..Now off to do some bush flying with knowing when I get back to the airstrip its not crawling with terrorist and dictators..:USA-flag:

Alan_A
September 8th, 2009, 16:48
Not against military at all but I'm committed to GA - actually, since Sunday, I'm committed to the A2A Cub and not much else! :applause:

RCAF_Gunner
September 8th, 2009, 17:12
Military flight sim?

Hmm... interesting observation but I gotta say there could be a reverse influence via the SOH too. Take myself as a case in point.

Yep, I'm mainly interested in military aviation and history ~ definitely one of the reasons way, way back I started hanging out at the SOH. I love nothing better then a well executed WW II a/c in the FSX enviroment. Just the same, I purchased Acceleration for the F-18, etc, etc. However.... with all the talented people who hang out here it's given me the opportunity to read about their work and, in that sense, the SOH has influenced me into trying their civvie offerings. And, darned if I don't enjoy them alot too.

So, sure: "Hell yea!"

Cheers,
Rick

Cazzie
September 8th, 2009, 18:19
Aerosoft Duo-Discus and A2A Piper Cub, I'd hardly say ithey rank as military a/c. I'll be getting the Cub tomorrow and the Duo-Discus my new budget period.

One reason I have become more immersed in Flight Sim in lieu of my plastic modeling is because the scale model market was way too much military and way too little GA.

I don't fly planes to fight wars and besides, I am too old and my reflexes would never be good in a war gaming scenario. I do love to test fly the old war birds though, particularly the ragbags from WW I.

Caz

Piglet
September 8th, 2009, 19:03
so I could have it all in one sim.

That right there says it all! Look at the stuff I have built over the years.
GA, military, sci-fi, big, little, etc.
The first sim to accomplish this "all-in-one-sim" will be quite successful!:ernae:

Naki
September 9th, 2009, 02:07
Was mainly into GA in FS9 (main exception was the Realair Sptfire and Cap Sim Mig-21 and C-130) but FSX is a mix of GA and warbirds ..as in civilian warbirds you would see at an airshow (ie Albatros)

Bjoern
September 9th, 2009, 11:17
If it doesn't have a jet engine (prop attached or not) and carries people and/or cargo, I won't fly it. :kilroy:

(Message sponsored by the T.U.B.E. Resistance.)

peter12213
September 9th, 2009, 14:15
Its fun at least trying military maneuvers though, I love practicing my Air Combat Maneuvering skills. I always just try and get my sights on them and take a screen to prove the kill lol like here... he never knew I was there until I overshot him oops!!
http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/6531/20099933227890.png

I must admit also, I'm with Bjoern on that one, pure military aircraft only on my system!:kilroy:

Sundog
September 9th, 2009, 14:31
I used to fly combat sims, mostly online, exclusively. Then my online wingman visited and gave me his FS2004, because he wasn't into civilian sims, but he thought I might like it. He hasn't seen much in a combatsim since. My problem is I like all planes and FS accommodates all of them quite well. Of course, if I really need to do some dogfighting I just fire up IL-2, and I can't wait for SOW:BoB.

Of course, what I hate about FS is I can fly just about anything, and I mean that in a good way. But, as someone up thread said, it makes it difficult to figure out what to fly next. I usually tour specific areas of the world and explore the GA airports with GA aircraft and explore the military aspects of the country in aircraft specific to what that country flies, or what visiting air forces may fly at different weapons ranges, etc. I use airliners to cross the oceans, or ferry flights in GA aircraft, and long range missions in military aircraft. But that's what is so cool about FS, just about anything you can think of doing aviation wise is doable. As a result, FS has turned me into something of a scenery addict, lol.

peter12213
September 9th, 2009, 14:59
Yeah well I'm the same, I just find that FSX is the best for flight dynamics and detail of models and terrain so that's why in my opinion its the best flightsim available, and the beauty of it all is you can do what you like in it, I mean yeah you can't destroy stuff but who care's, I'm all about the flying and thats what matters to me!

Bjoern
September 10th, 2009, 10:57
I must admit also, I'm with Bjoern on that one, pure military aircraft only on my system!:kilroy:

Huh?

I actually meant that I mostly fly passenger (or cargo) aircraft.

Shark
September 10th, 2009, 11:43
I originally got into simming for the practice. ILS approaches to my real airport are a breeze. (Pun intended.) With FSX/Acceleration I was skeptical on how the F/A-18 would perform. Once I flew that, I followed up with, and downloaded Dino's excellent F-14D. I now believe that FSX can emulate both GA & Military aircraft. Lately I've gotten into helicopters and have to admit that I am having a blast. I have no real world experience in them, other than jumping out of them. :jump: My most recent downloads have been helos and if you want "low and slow" the helo has all the GA beat! I'll also have to mention that I like flying the commercial jets as well. Only a few hours in the B737, but I like it well enough that someday I may "upgrade" to a good freeware or payware jet. Did I mention that I love Captain Sim's C-130??!

Dudes, it's all good! :ernae:

Shark out!

Odie
September 10th, 2009, 12:11
Mostly military for me, but I have a few payware/freeware GA aircraft for when I want to go low and slow. Military a/c are my primary all-around real-world interest, but FS offers a chance to do all in one package.