PDA

View Full Version : Graphics Card and FSX

paranoidandroid
September 6th, 2009, 23:13
Just a bit of input please folks. I have recently re-built my machine and gone for an i7920 and 6gb of Corsair RAM. The i7 is running stable at 3.8ghz, however having scouted the forums it seems that my Graphics card may be a bottlekneck in the whole set up; it is a 8800 GTS 640mb with DDR2. I have been looking at replacing it with an Asus GTX 285.

I am just wondering whether I will see any improvement in FPS and a possible reduction in the stutters. if not then I my well stick with what I have for the time being

Any input really appreciated

Thanks

Paul

harleyman
September 7th, 2009, 03:17
Well...The 8800 series cards are great for FSX...The Ultra however is king of that set...

I don't think your stutters are from your video card...

Personally I like the new 4890's for FSX

What is your ram? Cas and speed?

I have found that even the i7 builds have their problems with FSX. But they can be overcome too!

Cazzie
September 7th, 2009, 03:30
I have two 512 8800 GTS cards in SLI with 4GB of 800 MHz DDR2. FSX is flawless. However, when the dumb-dumbs at COMPUSA repaired it and used an ATI MB, I had no SLI and use of only one card, BAD. FSX looked like you were flipping paper images. FSX is also very CPU hungry, make sure you have a top of the line dual-core or quad-core processor.

Caz

hey_moe
September 7th, 2009, 03:46
Hi Paul and welcome to SOH,what are ya running in the back ground? What you have posted here that system should work fine with FSX. Have ya done any of the tweaks that some have posted and suggested to get better performance.I use to use that card and had no problems what so ever in FSX...Mike

stansdds
September 7th, 2009, 04:38
Nvidia produced two very different versions of the 8800 GTS, those with 320 or 640 MB of video RAM and those with 512 MB of RAM. The 320/640 versions were the first of the 8800's and used the old G80 GPU core. The 512 versions used the later and faster G92 core, so your video card may be at least part of the issue.

harleyman
September 7th, 2009, 05:35
Ah just saw your post count..... 1

New FSX blood..LOL

welcome to our little world...

Have you used the TBM Config tweak then? (texture Bandwidth multioplier)

It defaults to 40....try 10 first..

Fly for a few ...

Then in sucession try... 60...70...80...90...even 100...But my best bet is on 10...

Bjoern
September 7th, 2009, 09:50
I would consider a G80 8800GTS a bit of a bottleneck for a gaming system by now, but it's still fine for FSX.

As long as you're not playing any other demanding games like Crysis or similar, keep the 88', otherwise get that GTX285 or at least a GTX275.

txnetcop
September 7th, 2009, 10:36
For FSX I have honestly have not been able to tell much difference in the GTX 260, 275 and 285 as far as detail, overall look and feel. Been testing all of these on AMD Phenom II, Core 2 Quads, i5 and i7 By the way I still have an old E6600 with ECS 965 mb 'puter that runs FSX just fine with the old G80 Nvidia GPU.

paranoidandroid
September 7th, 2009, 13:31
Thanks for the advice folks, some interesting comments/tips. The card must be getting on for 3 years old now so I am debating whether it may be worth upgrading anyway (while the missus is in the right mood) and sell my old card on ebay.

After spending a fair old wedge on new stuff part of me is saying perhaps......

Bjoern
September 9th, 2009, 10:32
Ah, just do it. GTX275s are cheap nowadays.

paranoidandroid
September 10th, 2009, 10:31
Well I went for an ASUS ENGTX285...what a big sod it it is too I had to bend a bit of my case to get it in, but what a difference, FSX runs smooooth, only jerky bits I get are around the London scenery which is a bit intensive anyway, I still get 25 fps plus there with everything maxed apart from Autogen which I leave at Very Dense

Everywhere else is superb, with REX textures..sweet and I get a copy of this Batman game in 3d....why not

Thanks again for all the input people much appreciated

Paul

Bjoern
September 10th, 2009, 11:24
Well I went for an ASUS ENGTX285...what a big sod it it is too I had to bend a bit of my case to get it in

Getting my GTX275 into the case was a bit challenging as well and now there's just about one centimeter of space between it and the HDD cage. :d

Yet, congratulations on your purchase!
Enjoy FSX in its full glory! :ernae: