PDA

View Full Version : Another Onion Story?

Wing_Z
September 6th, 2009, 17:30
Surely...

lvzNj0Vobss

...there must be more to this than meets the eye?
This obviously could go all political, but I'd really like to know...
it's just amazing.

RickN
September 6th, 2009, 17:57
Not an Onion story. :angryfir:

It is all true and for anymore comments on it, it should go to the political forum.

Lionheart
September 6th, 2009, 19:42
I wouldnt say its politically based. Just an amazing oddity. I would say its like Janes airlines.

Good to know. Thanks for the heads up. Some good news on oddities.

Bill

CG_1976
September 6th, 2009, 20:41
Not an Onion story. :angryfir:

It is all true and for anymore comments on it, it should go to the political forum.

After reviewing this video and content I agree 100% belongs at the Saloon. I won't comment on this here.

RickN
September 7th, 2009, 02:35
I wouldnt say its politically based. Just an amazing oddity. I would say its like Janes airlines.

Good to know. Thanks for the heads up. Some good news on oddities.

Bill

Bill, trust me, to seriously discuss this is politics. You can not talk about political pork with politics, and it is not that odd in this day and age either.

cheezyflier
September 7th, 2009, 06:51
pffft you think that's the first or the worst of the rip-off tax payers got?

how about the way all those bank executives who after being reprimanded for the bonuses they rec'd, quietly also recieved millions in stock options to the banks they ruined. options that were worthless when recieved, but once the banks got the stimulus $$, and the banks became solvent again, the stocks value shot up, making these guys a fortune on their alleged incompetancy. anyone who thinks the entire scenario wasn't carefully planned is hopelessly niave.

RickN
September 7th, 2009, 06:58
Like I said, yo0u can not talk about things like this because it gets into politics. cheezyflier is correct but did not add anything about the Fannie and Freddy execs getting millions in perks and bonuses while driving those into the ground at taxpayer expense.

On the whole I think this thread needs to be moved or locked before it gets even more political.

Lionheart
September 7th, 2009, 09:04
pffft you think that's the first or the worst of the rip-off tax payers got?

how about the way all those bank executives who after being reprimanded for the bonuses they rec'd, quietly also recieved millions in stock options to the banks they ruined. options that were worthless when recieved, but once the banks got the stimulus $$, and the banks became solvent again, the stocks value shot up, making these guys a fortune on their alleged incompetancy. anyone who thinks the entire scenario wasn't carefully planned is hopelessly niave.

Good to know CF.

Im glad our little Deer Valley got some good funding. Nice airport now to have breakfast at on Sundays. :d

Bill

EasyEd
September 7th, 2009, 09:15
Hey All,

Could we get some stimulus money to a developer to make an up-to-date version of this airport for FS9 and FSX?

-Ed-

PS Obviously a result of the "If you build it they will come" philosophy

yank51
September 7th, 2009, 09:16
Surely...

...there must be more to this than meets the eye?
This obviously could go all political, but I'd really like to know...
it's just amazing.
Then why, in heavens name, post it in the first place?? :173go1:

cheezyflier
September 7th, 2009, 09:47

for the same reasom men attempt everest, or rocket to the moon! it's the spirit of exploration :icon_lol:

TARPSBird
September 7th, 2009, 09:51
Hey All,
Could we get some stimulus money to a developer to make an up-to-date version of this airport for FS9 and FSX?
-Ed-
PS Obviously a result of the "If you build it they will come" philosophy
Setting up the AI traffic would be pretty easy. :icon_lol:

EasyEd
September 7th, 2009, 10:26
Hey All,

Just fired up FS9 to look at KJST - Murtha Airport. Looks like described - big and empty (I have AI on). Looks like Microsoft might have got one reasonably right - don't know about the runway/building siting though.

:bump:

-Ed-

Wing_Z
September 7th, 2009, 13:27

cheezyflier said it, really.
I am mercifully not embroiled in US domestic politics, so my interest is genuine.
Things like this happen all over the world, and there's usually some kind of explanation: a WIP, or perhaps a thought not quite transformed into the product everyone had in mind.
In 1995 New Zealand - an island seafaring nation - bought a supply ship for the Navy, but subsequently found it would capsize in heavy weather.
It was sold at a loss 5 years later.
You could turn just about anything into petty politicking, but you don't have to.

Snuffy
September 7th, 2009, 13:55
This guy, (John Murtha I mean,) is a waste ... of several things ... but I'll stop here now. :monkies:

yank51
September 7th, 2009, 15:27
This guy, (John Murtha I mean,) is a waste ... of several things ... but I'll stop here now. :monkies:

wing_z quote: "You could turn just about anything into petty politicking, but you don't have to"

"Wing_z", I rest your case.....:kilroy:

Snuffy
September 7th, 2009, 16:01
wing_z quote: "You could turn just about anything into petty politicking, but you don't have to"

"Wing_z", I rest your case.....:kilroy:

Nope sorry Yank ... you'll have to do better than that ... there is nothing politcal in anything I said. Just stated an opinion of mine.

Go find something else to do.

Trans_23
September 7th, 2009, 16:32
Hey, Illinois has one of these airport also. Midamerica Airport (KBLV).

http://www.flymidamerica.com/ Look at the big red type at the bottom of the home page.

NBC did a "fleecing of America" bit on it years ago calling it "the airport to nowhere". They even have a transit bus that drives out there. No one on it but it goes there. At least Scott AFB got some new runways out of it. :icon_lol:

RickN
September 7th, 2009, 16:49
Guys the money Mad Jack got for the airport is political pork and nothing less. Same as the millions someone spent on border crossing that are used by about 3 people a day.

It was not right when the Republicans wasted money and it is not right now, especially with the way the economy is. That much spent on an airport that very few use when there are many much busier airports that really need the upgrades and repairs is just wrong.

I will have to find the piece on it, but the radar setup is just plan stupid for that tiny of an airport.

EDIT: OK I found the link but I am not positive it is the same airport, but I think it was fairly recently renamed.

http://www.wjactv.com/news/19147697/detail.html

Lionheart
September 7th, 2009, 17:21
Wing-Z,

Where on Earth is that road intersection with a power line running right through it??????? lolololol... I thought it was a stray FS power poll, but saw it was real.

Goodness....

Bill

TARPSBird
September 7th, 2009, 17:35
I will have to find the piece on it, but the radar setup is just plan stupid for that tiny of an airport.
EDIT: OK I found the link but I am not positive it is the same airport, but I think it was fairly recently renamed.
That is the same airport, Rick.
Just looked at MidAmerica Airport on Google. Beautiful installation, runway can handle just about anything. Total aircraft present: one derelict KC-135, one derelict C-141, one bizjet and one small single-engine. :icon_lol:

Wing_Z
September 7th, 2009, 18:16
Wing-Z,
Where on Earth is that road intersection with a power line running right through it??????? lolololol... I thought it was a stray FS power poll, but saw it was real.
Goodness....
Bill

Bill I'm not sure, but I can confirm that would be a Work in Progress!
I suspect it may have been the same contractor who did this quick bit of road marking...
and now I'll take meself off to Canelo's ;)

Lionheart
September 7th, 2009, 22:16
That is the same airport, Rick.
Just looked at MidAmerica Airport on Google. Beautiful installation, runway can handle just about anything. Total aircraft present: one derelict KC-135, one derelict C-141, one bizjet and one small single-engine. :icon_lol:

The more I think of it, the more I think its a backup field if certain things go wrong, like a bomb disaster, God forbid. It would, in certain cases, possibly then become a main link or hub in the air traffic net.

Nice if that is indeed what it is. Then it would keep things running smoothly.

Who knows, lol...