PDA

View Full Version : Night Textures for Photoreal?

falcon409
September 6th, 2009, 07:52
I have several projects that I want to release, but I happened to notice that they glow in the dark, lol. Never gave it much thought before because I rarely do night flights, but I decided to take a look at one I just did (Accomack County) and realized the problem. Is there a way to adjust the photoreal image to accommodate night texturing?

Meshman
September 6th, 2009, 08:47
Yes. Take the source file for the photo stuff (make a backup, just in case...:kilroy:) and edit the brightness and contrast to make it really dark, but not totally dark. Save the edited version with a different name, so that you have Source.Bmp and Source_night.Bmp, or what ever sounds good. Modify your INF file so that you are now telling Resample that it's a MultiSource and label the Source areas as Source1 and Source2, etc. A line in the INF file gets added to the night time section specifying that it's "Night". Compile and notice how the file is "magically" twice it's size!

Example INF files are installed as part of the SDKs.

Editing the night texture to give the illusion of lighted areas is another task, saved for much more coffee consumption.

Bjoern
September 6th, 2009, 08:50
I the only way I can come up with right now is manual darkening via Photoshop (or a similar program).

kjb
September 6th, 2009, 12:04
I think I put together a quick example in the tutorial I did for the other airport you were working on. A small area won't take 15 minutes to do.

Edit: link www.kb-sim.com/files/USGS_to_FSX_Tutorial.pdf (http://www.kb-sim.com/files/USGS_to_FSX_Tutorial.pdf)

Matt Wynn
September 6th, 2009, 12:40
same theory applies for seasonal variations Falcon, add the new seasonal images to the INF and compile