PDA

View Full Version : You know what i miss with modern fighters in FSX.....

Warrant
September 5th, 2009, 12:31
...Simulated NVG's!

I wonder if there are developers (free or pay) who can make a night vision (goggle) simulation, effect or filter for FSX.

And while we are at it, it would be great if this feature becomes available it also projects basic flight information HUD-style....it would be an integrated NVG/HMS (Helmet Mounted Sight, red) device.:cost1:

This would need to be a gadget applicable for a variety of fighters :engel016:

Aerosoft....IRIS....FSD.....any developer....challenge?:running:

dswo
September 5th, 2009, 12:43
And while we are at it, it would be great if this feature becomes available it also projects basic flight information HUD-style....it would be an integrated NVG/HMS (Helmet Mounted Sight, red) device.

The HMS part would not be hard to implement, as a large 2D gauge that's mostly transparent in the VC. Here's Tom Woods's HUD for helicopters (available at hovercontrol.com) that I use in the EH101. An older gauge, but it still works in FSX. Notice, in the screenshot, how it stays centered even when you pan -- kind of like a helmet-mounted sight.

Warrant
September 5th, 2009, 12:58
The HMS part would not be hard to implement, as a large 2D gauge that's mostly transparent in the VC. Here's Tom Woods's HUD for helicopters (available at hovercontrol.com) that I use in the EH101. An older gauge, but it still works in FSX. Notice, in the screenshot, how it stays centered even when you pan -- kind of like a helmet-mounted sight.

That's about perfect, though a different color selectable would be nice (depending on background color of DVC). If this would/could be integrated in a NVG filter, it would be a marvelous tool/gadget.

Edit: the red illumination would perfectly discriminate it from the green HUD.

Thanks for the H/U already, DSWO :wavey:. Gonna d/l it and try it with the IRIS F-16D tonight.

falcon409
September 5th, 2009, 13:12
There is a Night Vis utility available (although I've lost it) that turns your screen into a nite-Vis. I'm sure someone here will know about it. Seems like, a keystroke switched from normal to night vis and back again. If you combine that with dswo's tip about the hud, it might be even closer to what you'd like to see as a composite addon.

Warrant
September 5th, 2009, 13:16
There is a Night Vis utility available (although I've lost it) that turns your screen into a nite-Vis. I'm sure someone here will know about it. Seems like, a keystroke switched from normal to night vis and back again. If you combine that with dswo's tip about the hud, it might be even closer to what you'd like to see as a composite addon.

That would hit the spot (or whatever the phrase is)...that's it!
Anyone else know about this? :jump:

Warrant
September 5th, 2009, 13:46
I'm afraid mr Woods HUD's are not showing up at all with the IRIS F-16D.

peter12213
September 5th, 2009, 14:45
Warrant if you get it working I'd like that we need a JHMS and NVG's in fsx, it would change flying at night forever!!

Warrant
September 5th, 2009, 15:04
Warrant if you get it working I'd like that we need a JHMS and NVG's in fsx, it would change flying at night forever!!

You bet, my man.....you bet!

That's why i addressed the developers in the first place.

Can you imagine... night bombings using the CCIP tool, scenery with AAA (tracers coming at ya), scenery with hot-spots (like power-plants etc), AI cruise missiles and other mud-movers, perhaps some SAM-sites you have to plan your missions around........

Man, the thought alone :jump::gameon::applause:

Rezabrya
September 5th, 2009, 15:05
The Russian Bloom effect is used to get the night vision effect. I will edit this post if I find the thread.

Warrant
September 5th, 2009, 16:16
I'm afraid mr Woods HUD's are not showing up at all with the IRIS F-16D.

Funny thing, quoting myself :kilroy:

Seems that besides not working with the IRIS F-16D, the extra HUD also interferes with the IRIS complex INS system. The thing failed to align with another HUD programmed in the windows (in the panel.cfg).
Since the excellent IRIS F-16D is so complex, and so is the Aerosoft one, it seems they are the ideal testbeds for such gadgets/add-on's.

Something to take under consideration for possible developers! :running:

falcon409
September 5th, 2009, 16:57
Warrant, found the thread. . .actually it was posted here in SOH. . .

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=17099

Ok, now as I'm reading through the thread, I remember this one, but the links are not active anymore, at least not the ones that say "download here", lol. Gonna have to look some more.

Warrant
September 5th, 2009, 17:37
Warrant, found the thread. . .actually it was posted here in SOH. . .

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=17099

Ok, now as I'm reading through the thread, I remember this one, but the links are not active anymore, at least not the ones that say "download here", lol. Gonna have to look some more.

I traced the link you were looking for, and i came up with this:

http://rapidshare.com/files/269239457/FSXNightVisionsetup.zip

The file seems to hop from location to location, so i don't know how long this link will hold....

Thanks for the h/u, Falcon:applause:

Edit: Whoohooo, it works! :jump:

Warrant
September 5th, 2009, 18:55
Wonder if someone (developer or not) could merge a NVG tool like this with a nice HUD feature that would not screw up INS features like the fine IRIS one, and make it work (freeware or payware). :ernae: