PDA

View Full Version : Luftwaffe airfield

norab
September 5th, 2009, 05:49
does anyone know of a WW II era luftwaffe airfield that will work in FS2004?

SteveB
September 5th, 2009, 06:03
does anyone know of a WW II era luftwaffe airfield that will work in FS2004?

There is a nice collection of luftwaffe airfields for fs9 but alas payware, Lionhearts operation valkerie pack has them.

Steve

Ferry_vO
September 5th, 2009, 06:11
Cees Donker is currently working on a WW2 luftwaffe field.

:)

norab
September 5th, 2009, 06:39
Cees Donker is currently working on a WW2 luftwaffe field.:applause: outstanding thanks for the info

huub vink
September 7th, 2009, 09:33
Perhaps I should leave this thread to be answered by Cees, but I couldn't resist to post some "work in progress" pictures from Fliegerhorst Katwijk of MVK Valkenburg as it was called by the Dutch after the war.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/Huub_Vink/Valkenburg_0.jpg
The wooden runways

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/Huub_Vink/Valkenburg_1.jpg
The original Dutch hangars, which were used repaired and used by the Germans during the war and by the Dutch again after the war.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/Huub_Vink/Valkenburg_2.jpg
The road from the airfield to the camp. The Germans build their barracks in the style of Dutch farms. It must have been very good camouflage as the buildings are still there! The buildings were used by the Dutch after the war until the airfield closed a few years ago.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/Huub_Vink/Valkenburg_3.jpg
This little chapel which was built by the Germans during the war is still there as well and still in use!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/Huub_Vink/Valkenburg_4.jpg
The airfield (WIP) seen from above.

Cees has big plans with this airfield so don't expect it to be finished in a few days or weeks. But it will definitely be worth the wait!

Cheers,
Huub

nigel allen
September 7th, 2009, 09:43
Well word's fail me it look's wonderful can not wait its the best seen as have seen and been to the airfields in calais they are still there and in one its in the woods were the tree still has the names of the pilots ,

were did you get that aircraft in last shot ?:ernae::applause:

huub vink
September 7th, 2009, 10:05
The chopper is the Flettner Fl282 by Mark Adams. It was used by the Germans as reconnaissance and anti-submarine helicopter.

It is avialable at hovercontrol.com (FS9 downloads page 5). The rotor textures are by Bananabob and can be found in BananaBob's Prop and Rotor warehouse at screenshot.com (you have to register before you can download.)

Cheers,
Huub

Cees Donker
September 7th, 2009, 10:06
Very nice screenies Huub!

:applause:

Cees

huub vink
September 7th, 2009, 11:14
Very nice screenies Huub!

:applause:

Cees

Its easy to make nice shots when the subject is already nice ;)

Cees, I don't know whether you plan another visit to Valkenburg, but coming from the chapel driving toward the airfield there are some original buildings at the right side from the road as well. One has been refurbished but I think you will recognise what is original and what isn't. Behind the modern buidling (AZC) there are three large low buildings which used to be most probably workshops for the Motor transport group.

Cheers,
Huub

OBIO
September 7th, 2009, 11:18
Huub

Thanks for the screen shots.....

Cees,

You truly are a master at your craft! The amount of detail in your buildings is breath taking.

OBIO

Cees Donker
September 7th, 2009, 12:33
Thank you for all the nice comments. :jump: Yes Huub I'm going there again. Maybe next monday, provided the weather is good. I need more material!

Cees

norab
September 7th, 2009, 13:43
:jump::jump::jump:

robert41
September 7th, 2009, 15:27
That is some great scenery. Thanks Cees and Huub.

Lionheart
September 7th, 2009, 17:18
Awesome scenery guys! Those building textures are first rate!

They really had a long distance to the airstrip from the buildings. Perhaps for defense purposes.

You need some Hippy flowers on that VW Thing. Maybe paint it neon green...

Bill

huub vink
September 8th, 2009, 09:28
Yes Huub I'm going there again. Maybe next monday, provided the weather is good. I need more material!

I won't be there to join you Cees, as I will be in France for my summer holiday (although it is already autumn!)

You need some Hippy flowers on that VW Thing. Maybe paint it neon green...

Perhaps I will Bill :d , but I need to aks the guy who made the model permission to make the repaint ;) But don't you think its a bit weird, a hippy car, with a German soldier in it, even wearing a steel helmet :confused:

Huub

Lionheart
September 8th, 2009, 09:43
Perhaps I will Bill :d , but I need to aks the guy who made the model permission to make the repaint ;) But don't you think its a bit weird, a hippy car, with a German soldier in it, even wearing a steel helmet :confused:

Huub

Ahh.. Very true Huub.. arrrgh. Oh well. Maybe for a modern version airfield package.

Yep, my permission to Hippy-ize the Kubie or paint it in other colors. :d

Bill

(thinks to self, I could make a diff model that has a surf board in the back and helmet removed) :d

Again, great textures on those buildings guys. Awesome work!

norab
September 8th, 2009, 09:49
Perhaps a little more info might be of help. the vehicle in qeustion is a VW type 62 Kubelwagen of WW II vintage, more or less the german equivelent of a jeep, widely used by all the german military including the Luftwaffe. If you were really fanatical about it you could redo the license plates with one for the Luftwaffe See the link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_K%C3%BCbelwagen

http://www.tagwebmaster.com/assets/images/Kubelwagen.jpg

The "Thing" was a VW car done in the 1970's that was based on it's general lines

http://www.dyna.co.za/cars/VW_76_Kubelwagen_1300_Beige_B-River_fs.jpg

hope this clears up the confusion

SteveB
September 8th, 2009, 10:20
I tried to hippy it but the MP40 and helmet just didnt sit right man, so i cammo'd mine instead.

Cees Donker
September 8th, 2009, 11:21
Again, great textures on those buildings guys. Awesome work!

Bill, Huub didn't make the textures for this base (yet?). :kilroy:He guided me through the remains of the airfield and told all the stories he knows (a lot!) about the base. Huub is a technical adviser in this matter, but your remark has a value in itself: Huub could make wonderfull textures for buildings! So perhaps......

:icon_twi:

Cees

Cees Donker
September 8th, 2009, 12:09
I won't be there to join you Cees, as I will be in France for my summer holiday (although it is already autumn!)
Huub

Have a good holiday Huub!

:wavey:

Cees

Lionheart
September 8th, 2009, 13:17
Perhaps a little more info might be of help. the vehicle in qeustion is a VW type 62 Kubelwagen of WW II vintage, more or less the german equivelent of a jeep, widely used by all the german military including the Luftwaffe. If you were really fanatical about it you could redo the license plates with one for the Luftwaffe See the link

The "Thing" was a VW car done in the 1970's that was based on it's general lines

hope this clears up the confusion

Hey Norab,

Im sorry. I was being goofy. I have bad humor at times. People have joked with me about them for a long time, so I was throwing in some Kubel jokes.

:ernae:

Great little cars.

Bill

huub vink
September 8th, 2009, 13:49
Norab, the kubelwagen in the screenies is the kubelwagen from the Valkyrie set made by Lionheart. So I think he is very aware of the history of this vehicle.

As a start of the conversion into a flower power vehicle I changed the picture of the girl ;) (Do you recognise her?)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/Huub_Vink/janis.jpg

About the scenery; As already said before Cees is the creator of the scenery. My involvement is nothing more than guiding Cees over and around the airfield, as it is very close to where I live and most of the buildings are still there.

The area is not longer in use as airfield. The (modern) hangers are now used for social events and the recent buildings are used to house refugees (asylum seekers).

The old Germans buildings are currently not really in use anymore apart from some by a few artists. The owners want to demolish them for various reasons. However they might have a problem as the buildings are are protected as they are considered to be unique.

The cammo version is very nice Steve..... ;) :engel016:

Huub

norab
September 8th, 2009, 15:43
I'm sorry too if my comments were taken as any sort of criticism, far from it, I am in awe of the talent on this forum. I just wasn't sure how many members might be familiar with military ground vehicles (another area of interest for me) and just wanted to pass along some general information. In my younger days I wanted a "Thing' in the worst way but never managed it. I love Lionheart's work and think it's exceptional:ernae:

Norab

rich12545
September 8th, 2009, 16:07
That will make an excellent addition to Valkyrie in GW3.

Wild Bill Kelso
September 9th, 2009, 08:27
... you could redo the license plates with one for the Luftwaffe...

[beancounter mode]
The Luftwaffe license plates started with "WL" (Wehrmacht, Luftwaffe) and not "WH" (Wehrmacht, Heer).
[/beancounter mode]

SCNR :icon_lol: ,
Markus.

Z-PurpleBubble
September 9th, 2009, 08:43
As a start of the conversion into a flower power vehicle I changed the picture of the girl ;) (Do you recognise her?)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/Huub_Vink/janis.jpg

Janis Joplin, right??? Love her songs!!

Cees Donker
September 9th, 2009, 10:16
[beancounter mode]
The Luftwaffe license plates started with "WL" (Wehrmacht, Luftwaffe) and not "WH" (Wehrmacht, Heer).
[/beancounter mode]

SCNR :icon_lol: ,
Markus.

LOL

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Cees

Cees Donker
September 10th, 2009, 20:41
Does anyone recognise the truck?

:running:

Cees

BTW: I'm off for a family weekend: no flightsimming! Ah well....

OBIO
September 11th, 2009, 01:07

Cees

That truck is the same one my mother-in-law rode in to her senior prom....now I know why she acts like a Nazi!

OBIO

Foute Man
September 11th, 2009, 01:21
Hi Cees

Is there any chance we (W40v2 team) could make a CFS 3 version of the airfields Valkenburg etc. We have planned a releasedate for our addon on may 10th 1940

groet

Ton

SteveB
September 11th, 2009, 02:05

Cees

Isn't that Bills Blitz.

Steve

Lionheart
September 11th, 2009, 02:15
That truck is the same one my mother-in-law rode in to her senior prom....now I know why she acts like a Nazi!

OBIO

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.......

lololol... ROFLMAO.....

Foute Man
September 11th, 2009, 03:04
Hi Cees

Is there any chance we (W40v2 team) could make a CFS 3 version of the airfields Valkenburg etc. We have planned a releasedate for our addon on may 10th 1940

groet

Ton

PS: It's an Opel Blitz or a Mercedes

Ferry_vO
September 11th, 2009, 04:04

Guess you'll have to wait until Monday for an answer to that question, Ton.

BTW I hope you mean a release date of May 10th 2010?? It's been a while since 1940. ;)

Ferry_vO
September 11th, 2009, 04:08
BTW Huub or Cees, how does the Fliegerhorst compare in size to the Vliegkamp ? I know the German base at Deelen was much larger than the current field is. Most of the former hangars are outside the perimeter and some are in use as farm houses and sheds these days. The officers quarters are also located well away from the field. A pretty effective way of camouflage IMHO, although the runways would still be visible. To mislead the allies a fake field was made near the village of Harskamp.

nigel allen
September 11th, 2009, 04:14
umm look's like opel blitz :icon_lol:

Foute Man
September 11th, 2009, 05:39
Guess you'll have to wait until Monday for an answer to that question, Ton.

BTW I hope you mean a release date of May 10th 2010?? It's been a while since 1940. ;)

I'm a natural blond, sometimes life is hard, but you learn to live with it :) :)

Cees Donker
September 11th, 2009, 07:17
Hi Cees

groet

Ton

This field is Flugplatz Katwijk, quite different from Valkenburg. And Ton: I have no experience with making field for CFS3 as I didn't like the sim because in my opinion it's more a game instead of a sim (No offence meant!). I'll look into it: if I can do it without having to work with another set of programs I might. But it is a bit odd to make something for a 'sim' you don't fly yourself....

Cees

Cees Donker
September 11th, 2009, 07:18
Isn't that Bills Blitz.

Steve

It is! Bill kindly offered his vehicles to be used on Flugplatz Katwijk! Great guy!

Cees

Cees Donker
September 11th, 2009, 07:20
BTW Huub or Cees, how does the Fliegerhorst compare in size to the Vliegkamp ? I know the German base at Deelen was much larger than the current field is. Most of the former hangars are outside the perimeter and some are in use as farm houses and sheds these days. The officers quarters are also located well away from the field. A pretty effective way of camouflage IMHO, although the runways would still be visible. To mislead the allies a fake field was made near the village of Harskamp.

Ferry,

Check your e-mail

Cees

Lionheart
September 11th, 2009, 10:24
Man Cees! Sounds like you would be busy for weeks doing CFS scenery, if you could indeed make scenery easliy for it.

Bill

norab
October 16th, 2011, 10:51
Just wondered if this project was ever completed

Jagdflieger
October 16th, 2011, 18:42
Spectacular work!

This talk of Dutch airfields reminds me of Len Deighton' book "Bomber." A great read (fictional history) of an RAF night raid with personalities from both the Luftwaffe and the RAF mostly in and around Holland.