PDA

View Full Version : MAAMSIM Turkey in FSX Acceleration

Quicksand
September 4th, 2009, 14:13
My luck being what it is, this has probably already been covered, and I missed it... Is there a way to fix the "glazed-over" look of the canopy from the VC? I'm really missing my Turkey....

IanP
September 4th, 2009, 14:35
A patch was in the works, certainly, although whether it was ever released or not, I'm not sure. I can't find it on the MAAM-SIM website or on Google and the forum at Avsim is a heck of a lot shorter than it was.

We need Jan on this thread, I think!

Quicksand
September 4th, 2009, 14:36
I agree!

MCDesigns
September 4th, 2009, 14:54
We need Jan on this thread, I think!

I think we need Jan working on the FSX model more, LOL :icon_lol::icon_lol:

Quicksand
September 4th, 2009, 15:01
This is true, also...:kilroy:

PRB
September 4th, 2009, 15:02
I tried installing the MAAM Turkey in FSX. When I tried to pick the plane, my computer jumped up off the table with a loud bang! Ok, I'm egg-saturating slightly, but FSX did crash and had to be killed with the task manager. I suspect gauges or effects?

Quicksand
September 4th, 2009, 15:51
I put it in, and my only issue is not being able to see out of the canopy.. I'm running Vista and Acceleration.

jojohnson9
September 4th, 2009, 16:03
I tried installing the MAAM Turkey in FSX. When I tried to pick the plane, my computer jumped up off the table with a loud bang! Ok, I'm egg-saturating slightly, but FSX did crash and had to be killed with the task manager. I suspect gauges or effects?
I had the same problem when I first loaded the "Turkey". As I remember it was one of the radio gauges in the WWII version (not the modern radios). I deleted them one at a time until I found the bad one. I'm on my laptop now so I can't tell you which is the bad gauge. I'll be home tomorrow and will let you know when I get on my FSX computer.

jojohnson9
September 4th, 2009, 16:07
My luck being what it is, this has probably already been covered, and I missed it... Is there a way to fix the "glazed-over" look of the canopy from the VC? I'm really missing my Turkey....
Yes there is a fix, don't remember where I got it. I'll look it up on my FSX computer when I get home on Saturday...on my laptop now on vacation.

Quicksand
September 4th, 2009, 16:17
Thanks, John. I appreciate it!

Javis
September 4th, 2009, 21:36
Hey guys,

I did put together an FSX texture fix for the Turkey but i don't think it has ever been released. Reason being that i nore Bill never could get the Turkey port-over to work in FSX without crashing it. Fred and Hansi have been trying to fix the problem ( gauges) but without satisfactory result sofar. In the mean time we also changed to the B-25, a new version with fully clickable VC has been sitting on my HD for more then a year already and a good working FSX port-over did not see the light either. Beta testing is about to begin for this enhanced version of Briefing Time. Still no native FSX version for both these FS9 models but we've got offers from two well known designers here to help us out in this respect. All i can say is that the're working on it. :)

So, a B-25 upgrade package, both for FS9 and FSX, will be available s**n, and what i can do re the port-over Turkey is to atleast upload that FSX texture fix somewhere if needed. That won't fix the gauge problem of course.

@ John : if you could let me know which of the radio gauges causes the Turkey to crash FSX it would be highly appreciated. Thanks ! :applause:

As for Maam-Sim and native FSX, for about a year a new team member in the design department has been working on a native FSX model sporting a bird from the MAAM collection. While i cannot say which bird it actually is i can say that the WIP screenies Ron has been teasing us with feature an exceptionally well crafted model, both inside and out. It is Ron's first model for FS and he is doing this as a 'one man job' which is quite remarkable. Maybe i can persuade him to reveal something about his model here sometime. :cool:

Furthermore, my own first born Maam-Sim native FSX baby has just seen the light too. It's the lovely little N3N Yellow Peril. Various engines to choose from and wheels or floats too.

So that concludes this small update on what's going on inside the Maam-Sim hangar so far. More later, gents.

9662 9663

Cheers,
Jan

IanP
September 5th, 2009, 00:40
Jan, the gauge I had to //out to make the TBMs work was "MAAM_TBM!Radios" (gauge 17 in the Window00, Window01, Window02, the only entry in Window08 and gauge 08 of the VCockpit01 sections of the TBM's panel.cfg).

Javis
September 5th, 2009, 04:57
Thanks, Ian ! Alas no change.... still get this nice pitch black screen to look at after selecting the Turkey in FSX with the gauges reactivated ( minus the MAAM_TBM!Radios ) I did the glass texture fix without using any gauge, it was (and still is..) the only way to get the Turkey model to turn up in FSX without crashing it.

But thanks for your help, Ian, it's remarkable that you ( and some other peeps as well, including Hansi, he still uses FSX/SP1 though ) can run the Turkey in FSX by only deactivating the radios gauge.

We'll get it sorted out one way or another, i'm sure. See you at Aldergrove.... :mixedsmi: ( my homebase too for many years and i don't know why either.... :) )

cheers,
Jan

IanP
September 5th, 2009, 05:48
I was running it on XP32 as well, which might make a difference - I'll copy it across to Vista64 and see if it flies or dies. Will report back shortly!

I do actually have an excuse for flying from EGAA... (Antrim International Airport! ;)) - my wife was born and grew up in Antrim, so we to EGBB-EGAA-EGBB at least twice a year, most years.

PRB
September 5th, 2009, 06:07
I just got it to fly in FSX SP2, Vista64 (with the expected prop and glass issues). If I place the MAAM_TBM.gau file into the gauges folder it crashes FSX. When I remove that file from the gauges folder, the plane loads up just fine. So, it's one of the gauges in that file.

jojohnson9
September 5th, 2009, 06:24
I just got it to fly in FSX SP2 (Vista64). If I place the MAAM_TBM.gau file into the gauges folder it crashes FSX. When I remove that file from the gauges folder, the plane loads up just fine. So, it's one of the gauges in that file.

Okay, back from vacation...(Quebec City, Quebec, Canada, lovely city). Now down to business.

I never had desktop crashes with the TBM...only the TBF.

I found the the faulty gauge is "MAAM_TBM!TBF_Radios" in the 2D panel window 08.

This the original 2D window08:

[Window08]
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=300
position=4
visible=0
ident=508
zorder=8
gauge00=MAAM_TBM!TBF_Radios, 0,0,250

I changed it to this:

[Window08]
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=300
position=4
visible=0
ident=508
zorder=8
gauge00=ALPHA_F86!RADIO ADF, 125,0,125,71
gauge01=ALPHA_F86!RADIO COM1, 0,0,125,71
gauge02=ALPHA_F86!AP_F86, 0,70,250,176

Not sure that the TBF had autopilot, but what the heck, I wanted it.
Use any radios that work in FSX and you shouldn't have anymore crashes...well no more computer crashes.

I left the "MAAM_TBM!TBF_Radios" gauge in the 3D VC panel, works fine there...don't know why.

Hope this helps guys.

Quicksand
September 5th, 2009, 07:56
Great news, Jan! I am running Vista 64 bit, for the record. I've not suffered a CTD yet, but I can't fly when I can't see.... A big thank you to John for the info on the radio fix, too. If you could post the glass fix for the Turkey somewhere, Jan, it might keep me occupied until the FSX native version comes out. BTW, that N3N is looking outstanding!

PRB
September 5th, 2009, 10:16
Ok, I got it to work. John, I tried removing the radios as you showed, but this had no improvement. Still crashed on aircraft selection. Then I commented out every single gauge and started methodically un-commenting them one by one until I found the culprit, which I did
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
There are two offending gauges. One of them is the radios you mentioned. Those do have to be removed. But for me, oddly enough, I also had to comment out the first gauge in the VC section, something called VC_Control (see attached pic of panel.cfg.). Odd name for a gauge. I wonder what it does…
<o:p></o:p>
Commenting out this gauge let me load and fly the plane, and it had one other very interesting side effect: I could now see out the front glass! If I commented out all the gauges, the plane would load, but with no gauges, and the front windows were opaque. Now (see other pic), with just those two gauges commented out, I can see out the windows! Weird. Also, in this test, only the VC gauges are in the panel.cfg. All other 2D panels are commented out, so more testing would be required to see what other gauges have issues.
<o:p></o:p>
It’s still needs a real FSX fix though, as there are other “issues”, such as the pilot reflections in the side windows, the normal FSX prop issue, and many un-textured (black) parts in the VC.

jojohnson9
September 5th, 2009, 10:31
PRB, glad you are getting the Turkey flying. Just for the heck of it I went back to the original MAAM panel (with the MAAM_TBM!TBF_radios gauge). My TBF crashed to desktop again just like before. I guess maybe it has to do with different computers and video cards. I'm just not that on top of all this modern electronic stuff.

Javis
September 6th, 2009, 05:10
Bingo ! Thanks Paul, commenting out the VC-Control gauge did indeed fix the FSX crashing here. ( have an odd feeling i already tried that a long time ago without success... ) Next to that the Radio gauge is also excluded of course. In any case i can now finally use the Turkey in FSX with a more or less intact cockpit. :applause:

Btw, personally i am not overly enthusiastic about using FS9 port-overs in FSX. I use non myself, really hate the unfixable alphachannel problem with exterior glass parts and i really miss all the superduper FSX goodies that we can enjoy with native FSX aircraft models. This may be the reason i have never been that much of a stickler for port-overs of my own models neither.

FYI, the 'MAAM-TBM!VC_control.gau' does just what its name says: controlling a number of switches/handles in the VC. Without it you'll notice some switches/handles are not clickable anymore.

The fact that the interior glass of your Turkey VC miraculously seems to have been fixed after commenting out the VC_control gauge is quite a mystery to me...... It has of course only to do with textures, not with gauges...

Re the black objects in your VC: you are missing a few textures. From what i can gather from the piccie you posted that would be 'tbmvc4.bmp' ,-5, -6, and -7 . You can find them all in your FS9/Texture folder. Please copy them into your FSX/Turkey/Texture folders.

Prop circle and other VC texture probs will be fixed with a small texture update package i will make available for anyone who wants it.

Thanks much again for your help, Paul ! :ernae:

Cheers,
Jan

PRB
September 6th, 2009, 05:29
Awesome! Thanks for pointing out the VC texture files. That did the trick in the VC. It's almost there!

While generaly not a huge port over fan either, I will certainly make exceptions, and this is one of them...
:ernae:

Paul K
September 6th, 2009, 09:09
Roll on the day we see the native FSX MAAM Avenger. Its right at the top of my 'worth waiting for' list. Its an aircraft I very much like, what with the examples we've seen flying in the UK and Samuel Hynes' book 'Flights of Passage'.

peter12213
September 6th, 2009, 16:51
I'm just glad to have this working I love any WW2 carrier aircraft!

Javis
September 6th, 2009, 17:02
If you could post the glass fix for the Turkey somewhere, Jan, it might keep me occupied until the FSX native version comes out. BTW, that N3N is looking outstanding!

Thanks, Quicksand ! You've got a PM. :)

Cheers,
Jan

<style></style>

peter12213
September 6th, 2009, 17:07
Thanks, Quicksand ! You've got a PM. :)

Cheers,
Jan

<STYLE></STYLE>

would you do the same for me please I'm still having a little trouble with it!
Thanks in advance!

Quicksand
September 6th, 2009, 17:50
Thanks a bunch, Jan. The drinks are on me.:guinness::icon29::guinness::icon29::guinness:: icon29:

Javis
September 6th, 2009, 18:30
My pleasure, Quicks! Hips :ernae:

@ Peter : done!

Cheers,
Jan

peter12213
September 7th, 2009, 04:28
Yeah same here, you might be drunk though!! LOL :ernae: Thanks mate!!