PDA

View Full Version : Native Westland Sea King

Kavehpd
September 4th, 2009, 03:47
I asked this on the HC forums long time ago. But didn't get any helpful replies.

Is anyone aware of a decent looking native Westland Sea King project in the pipelines? I'm more interested in HAR3A and HC4. And by decent, I mean properly modelled and animated rotors (no transparent disks!), DX10 compatibility, bumps maps, etc.

Daube
September 4th, 2009, 04:21
I think the guys from UKMIL have made a freeware FSX native Seaking.
http://www.ukmil.org.uk/e107_files/downloadthumbs/ukmilskthm.jpg
It's native with seld shadow etc... but still I'm not sure if it's up to your standards... but since it's free, it won't cost anything to try ;)

Kavehpd
September 4th, 2009, 07:05
Thanks. I've already tried that when it first came out. No offence to UKMIL guys. But that's not quite what I'm looking for.

UKMIL
September 4th, 2009, 07:35
well you have no other option for free, best to spend some cash over at Alphasim. Must have money to burn:applause:

spatialpro
September 4th, 2009, 09:00
Well I know of someone (or some people) who are considering making one... but I don't want to blab, or raise expectations, so I'll leave it at that. However, rest assured you're not the only one who wants such a thing...

IanP
September 4th, 2009, 09:11
I don't think the OP specified "free". However, the UKMIL is currently the only FSX native one out there. The Alphasim models are not and I think it has been said that there are currently no plans to make an FSX native version of them from their particular developer (who will hopefully see this thread and comment shortly! ;))

I also installed the UKMIL Sea King, tried it and uninstalled it. It's a lot better than I could do, but didn't capture my attention either, unfortunately.

I'm not trying to put down UKMIL's efforts in any way, but I have to say that the shape of their model just doesn't quite strike me as right. I've not compared it directly to images or anything like that, but something just seemed "off" about it. Like I said, that's just a comment explaining why I didn't keep it on my system - not intended to diminish their achievement in any way. It's a darned sight better than I can do! :icon29:

I stuck with the Alphasim one I already had and RAF/RN SAR repaints of the Accel EH101 that Chris Brisland did, which he did give me permission to package and upload. I really, really, must do that!

Kavehpd
September 4th, 2009, 09:30
I don't think the OP specified "free". However, the UKMIL is currently the only FSX native one out there. The Alphasim models are not and I think it has been said that there are currently no plans to make an FSX native version of them from their particular developer (who will hopefully see this thread and comment shortly! ;))

I also installed the UKMIL Sea King, tried it and uninstalled it. It's a lot better than I could do, but didn't capture my attention either, unfortunately.

I'm not trying to put down UKMIL's efforts in any way, but I have to say that the shape of their model just doesn't quite strike me as right. I've not compared it directly to images or anything like that, but something just seemed "off" about it. Like I said, that's just a comment explaining why I didn't keep it on my system - not intended to diminish their achievement in any way. It's a darned sight better than I can do! :icon29:

I stuck with the Alphasim one I already had and RAF/RN SAR repaints of the Accel EH101 that Chris Brisland did, which he did give me permission to package and upload. I really, really, must do that!

I too mean all the best for the UKMIL guys. But I'm a real meanie when it comes to small details and want nothing less than perfect.

AlphaSim port over is out of question, obviously. Seems like I'm stuck with my own RAF rescue repaint of Acceleration EH101 for now. Looking forward to the RN version. I dumped my own RN PSDs long time ago. Waaay too much hassle to get an acceptable result. :isadizzy:

kilo delta
September 4th, 2009, 10:01
The civilian version, the S61N, in the pipeline over at Hovercontrol... http://64.34.169.161/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=16892;st=0

Kavehpd
September 4th, 2009, 10:05
The civilian version, the S61N, in the pipeline over at Hovercontrol... http://64.34.169.161/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=16892;st=0

Followed that for a while and even offered to help with repaint and FDE. I doubt if it is ever going to see the light of day! Enthusiastic kids, nevertheless. Best of luck to them.

IanP
September 4th, 2009, 10:11
Not an overly good pic - it's one of the banners from my site - but it'll give you an idea. ;)

CG_1976
September 4th, 2009, 13:12
Not an overly good pic - it's one of the banners from my site - but it'll give you an idea. ;)

Ian, were can i get a hold of that paint please? And does anybody know of a HMCA paint for the Default Merlin 101 or the UKMIL Seaking. Yes i do have the UKMIL Seaking installed and love taking her up for flights in Scotland, Ireland and Canada. Certainly gets better frames and performance then a port over.

IanP
September 4th, 2009, 13:29
Ian, were can i get a hold of that paint please?

You can't yet, sorry. Entirely my fault. As I said before, Chris Brisland has given me permission to package and upload them - I just haven't got around to writing a readme and doing it yet. :rolleyes:

And does anybody know of a HMCA paint for the Default Merlin 101 or the UKMIL Seaking. Yes i do have the UKMIL Seaking installed and love taking her up for flights in Scotland, Ireland and Canada. Certainly gets better frames and performance then a port over.

I haven't seen an MCA repaint for anything other than the Alpha FS9 SeaKings I'm afraid and that wasn't brilliant.

However... I've just been messing about with ADE and default objects. Definitely representative rather than accurate, slightly out of context, but certainly related directly to this thread. Anyone want to take a guess where in the UK it (badly) represents? :engel016:

Edit: Added a second shot because I could. A quick reinstall might put some more context in, too...

peter12213
September 4th, 2009, 13:54
Is it RAF Boulmer?

IanP
September 4th, 2009, 14:38
Is it RAF Boulmer?

:applause:

Well. It looks a bit like the little corner of it that 202 Squadron hide in, I hope. It was drawn over a Google Earth image, so the shape is right. Shame about the buildings. Oh well!

It's a tiny file and yes I know it's a bit naff, but I'll zip it up and stick it on my site at some point over the weekend for anyone who wants to use it.

MCDesigns
September 4th, 2009, 14:56
:applause:

Well. It looks a bit like the little corner of it that 202 Squadron hide in, I hope. It was drawn over a Google Earth image, so the shape is right. Shame about the buildings. Oh well!

It's a tiny file and yes I know it's a bit naff, but I'll zip it up and stick it on my site at some point over the weekend for anyone who wants to use it.

Having never see the real one, your "interpretation" looks really nice! :ernae:

michael davies
September 4th, 2009, 18:55
I'm reading and watching :).

Just this morning (US Eastern) I was speaking with some one about a new from the ground up Seaking, it 'is' a shame to waste all that info I have :).

I did vow never to touch one again after the last 14 month marathon with the Alphasim one, rest assured it wont be two packs with 10 variants, but I can forsee generic USN and RAF/RN variants.

Lets see what happens over the next few weeks <wink>, hopefully some renders in short order after some planned work on the F-100 and Lynx.

Best

Michael

Kavehpd
September 5th, 2009, 00:09
Aaah, life is sweet again!

Seaking055
September 5th, 2009, 09:56
Thanks for that update Michael.............as always I would be first in line for a new FSX RN Sea King.

Panther_99FS
September 5th, 2009, 10:25
Thanks for that update Michael.............as always I would be first in line for a new FSX RN Sea King.

:mixedsmi::mixedsmi::mixedsmi:

Kavehpd
March 28th, 2010, 08:38
Oh, my! Look what I've accidentally bumped!

OleBoy
March 28th, 2010, 08:44
Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Atleast you didn't break anything.

I'll up the kitty to +1

michael davies
March 30th, 2010, 03:33
THe Alphasim one has been redone for FSx, but like many other models, stuck in the pipeline and awaiting release.

Features bump maps, spec maps, new VC and cargo cabin, new FSx FDE, plus other stuff I forget.

I've not heard any thing further for the last three months so presume its working its way to the shop front.

Kavehpd
March 30th, 2010, 03:40
Thanks for the reply, Michael. If and when it's out, it'll definitely be my first AlphaSim purchase in a very very long time.

OleBoy
March 30th, 2010, 04:38
I remember the Seaking was my first FS04 purchase From Alphasim when it was released back then. A new model for FSX, I'd likely have to have that one also.

Thanks for the heads up Michael

Hughes-MDflyer4
June 17th, 2010, 13:30
Followed that for a while and even offered to help with repaint and FDE. I doubt if it is ever going to see the light of day! Enthusiastic kids, nevertheless. Best of luck to them.

I don't mean to be rude, but I don't need that opinion. If you've looked at the topic recently, our S-61 has been moving forward and is looking great. (Others have said this too) We aren't "Enthusiastic kids! We know what we are doing, and I think that you'll realize that when this S-61 is finished. :mad:

Everyone else, you can follow the project here (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=37689). It's not a Sea King, but it's still an awesome helicopter! It will be a fully FSX native model with all the FSX goodies.

Kavehpd
June 18th, 2010, 11:50
I don't mean to be rude, but I don't need that opinion. If you've looked at the topic recently, our S-61 has been moving forward and is looking great. (Others have said this too) We aren't "Enthusiastic kids! We know what we are doing, and I think that you'll realize that when this S-61 is finished. :mad:

Everyone else, you can follow the project here (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=37689). It's not a Sea King, but it's still an awesome helicopter! It will be a fully FSX native model with all the FSX goodies.

That was posted more than 9 months ago. I was following your project on Hover Control forums at the time and based on your very own progress reports, there was no VC, you were looking for someone to start working on the FDE and gauges, there was no texture map or animation and the exterior model was far from finished. Basically, all you had at the time was a simple exterior model. On top of that, Conor clearly stated that the project was going nowhere unless others volunteered to help.

So, forgive me if I sounded a little sceptical. I'm not going to dig any of that up for you. It's all on Hover Control. I'm also not going continue this discussion. I find your post completely out of order and unnecessary. Anything else you wish to discuss, PM me.

@Admins: please lock this thread. I hate to see it go offtopic.