PDA

View Full Version : Question for My Fellow Nova Scotians.....

thedude247
September 3rd, 2009, 16:30
For any of you guys that are familiar with the Shearwater Aviation Museum, does anybody have any news on the Fairey Firefly Restoration. I have to say that I haven't been to Shearwater in quite a few years, sad for me I know.

Appreciate any News:applause:

jbflrivr
September 3rd, 2009, 16:58
http://www.shearwateraviationmuseum.ns.ca/ :engel016: (http://www.shearwateraviationmuseum.ns.ca/)

JB

Helldiver
September 3rd, 2009, 19:11
How many fellows are there here from Nova Scotia? I have relatives living in Kentville.
The last time I was there was 74 years ago. Dirt streets, no running water and eveyone used a outhouse.
I bet it's changed quite a bit since then.

CG_1976
September 3rd, 2009, 19:44
Helldiver, there are a few Artic Villages way up in the North West Territories that still live that way. Thank you Helldiver for that interesting tid bit on
Nova Scotia. Im currently studying Canadian history and Anthropology of Canada. It helps me a lot when I encounter a 1st hand report and a respected Senior like you.

thedude247
September 4th, 2009, 03:12
I hope some of you guys don't think that canadians live in Igloos, and drive snowmobiles year round. Cause that just makes you look bad. HAHAHAHAHAHA

Back to the subjeat at hand, The Shearwater website doesn't have any up to date info on this restoration, I'd like to know if others here know some things.

mariereid
September 4th, 2009, 03:49
If you type in "underthecat", you will go to a site that is really great. A lot of history and I believe info about the museum. If you cannot get to the site let me know and I will try to find the correct address. I live about 5 or 6 mins. from Shearwater, I have never been to the museum. Disgusting!! I have got to get over there. On a brighter note: When I was a young fella, I was stationed at Shearwater. HMCS Shearwater! When I was 9 or 10, I was allowed to sail the Bonnie from Halifax to N.B. A father - son thing. Oh, to young again! Go Bluenosers!

P.S. I have used an outhouse in the last year or so! I have been to a community in Nova Scotia, where indor plumbing and an outhouse would be a luxury. Count your blessing!

thedude247
September 4th, 2009, 04:02
If you type in "underthecat", you will go to a site that is really great. A lot of history and I believe info about the museum. If you cannot get to the site let me know and I will try to find the correct address. I live about 5 or 6 mins. from Shearwater, I have never been to the museum. Disgusting!! I have got to get over there. On a brighter note: When I was a young fella, I was stationed at Shearwater. HMCS Shearwater! When I was 9 or 10, I was allowed to sail the Bonnie from Halifax to N.B. A father - son thing. Oh, to young again! Go Bluenosers!

Quite an interesting site, didn't find anything on Shearwater though. Thanks though.

Helldiver
September 4th, 2009, 06:03
CG 1976, The only other thing I remember about 1935 in Nova Scotia was that most of the heavy hauling was done by a pair of Oxen and the milk in the morring was still warm from the cow. You always kept a bucket of water next to the pump in order to prime it. A lot of of the yards had racks of fish being left to be dried. Possibly Herring. Course I was only seven years old at the time. My relatives up there are the Crowells and the Rings. I have Uncles, Aunts and Cousins I haven't seen since. I've always wanted to go back. It's a nice part of Canada.

gigabyte
September 4th, 2009, 18:41
Well this is cool, I knew there were a few Canucks on this forum, but there are more than I realized. I am a Bluenoser originally, I live in New Brunswick now, I still have a summer place outside Dartmouth. I was thinking about checking out the Sherwater Museum when I go down in 2 weeks I guess now I have another reason to do just that. I will see what I can find out about the restoration and report back, like as soon as I get back here Eh!

X_eidos2
September 5th, 2009, 03:20
Both of my parents are from Nova Scotia. If you add up all the time I've been there on vacations the last 49 years I've probably lived there a couple years. When we first started going home to visit family, the conditions weren't too far from the ones Helldiver described. One of the locals said that there are two things that have transformed that part of the country more than any other. They are vinyl siding and the rider mower.

mariereid
September 5th, 2009, 05:15
I am heading for 59. When I was 4 -5 years old I used to ride on the horse drawn milk wagon through the streets of north end Halifax. I can remember our next door neighbor getting big blocks of ice delivered. Am I that old or were we that far behind? I just love this province!!

brad kaste
September 5th, 2009, 05:28
I am heading for 59. When I was 4 -5 years old I used to ride on the horse drawn milk wagon through the streets of north end Halifax. I can remember our next door neighbor getting big blocks of ice delivered. Am I that old or were we that far behind? I just love this province!!
Mariereid,....I think a LOT of persons would like to live today how you lived in Nova Scotia as a youngster. In fact, persons go on vacations looking for places where time has slowed down a lot. Makes sense to me.

Helldiver
September 5th, 2009, 05:58
When I was a kid in Massachusetts, my grandfather drove a Hoods milk wagon drawn by a horse called Mary. She actually remembered where each stop was.
Ice was also delivered by horse and wagon. My mother would put a card in the window to signal that she wanted ice. The position of the card would tell the driver what sze a piece of ice she needed.
The ice was "farmed" at Kelliher's Pond during the winter. It was covered with hay in a huge barn and would stay until summer.
Nova Scotia was about 20 years behind and it was nice to see that it was.

mariereid
September 5th, 2009, 07:58
Sadly, not that it's the end of the world, we have really been catching up to the modern times. Still, if you ever make it here, take your time, drive on the old roads, and you will find yourself saying, " Wow, is this the 1950's?" Us old farts had a great childhood. I sorta feel sorry for todays kids, but I guess they're happy enough.

P.S. Helldiver, Crowell is a very old and common Nova Scotia name. Not far from me is Crowell Rd, It's been there forever. Looks like over 100 just in the Halifax area, I am sure many more around the province.

Helldiver
September 5th, 2009, 10:46
I kind of think that they're very correct. Wait and see and only adopt those things that work. Perhaps they'll be able to skip such stupid things as cell phones, indexing and Windows Vista.
My Aunt Mildred Crowell was kind of a hero up there.

HighGround22
September 5th, 2009, 15:38
I live in Colby Village, which is in Cole Harbour** . . . which is a suburb of Dartmouth, Nova Scotia (y'got that, did yuh?).

Born in Toronto (shudder), I moved to Nova Scotia in 1959 when I joined the Royal Canadian Navy. Married a Nova Scotian girl. Sailed around in Bonaventure (our last carrier) as well as mariereid, as back-seater aircrew. Went on to spend 35 years in the Canadian Forces as non-pilot aircrew.

Still live here in NS with the same girl. (Well, if a near-70-year-old qualifies as a "girl".) And since I can't fly in real aerodynes anymore, I do it vicariously via FSX.

But I'm with gigabyte: I had no idea so many Bluenoses were online here. I thought I was the only Flight-Simmer this side of the Laurentians! Nice to see you guys!!

And I'm also remiss in that I rarely visit SAM (Shearwater Aviation Museum) even though it's only 15 minutes away. Must do something about that -- soon!

**Cole Harbour -- Sydney Crosby's parents' home is on our street. There; that's my one, slender claim to fame.

gigabyte
September 6th, 2009, 03:07
I live in Colby Village, which is in Cole Harbour** . . . which is a suburb of Dartmouth, Nova Scotia (y'got that, did yuh?).

Small World Highground22, I have close Friends in Colby Village, a fellow I grew up with is a Captian in the Cdn Armed Forces, he must live right around the corner from you, he is on the street next to Sydneys parents place. My wife used to work with Sydneys father Troy, mind you he does not have to work any longer...

... Sailed around in Bonaventure (our last carrier) ...
My father served on "The Maggie and The Bonnie" (HMCS Magnificant & Warrior were Canada's second last carriers replaced by the Bonnie) along with half a dozen other ships, his last cruise was on the Bonnie, unfortunately that cruise was cut short by by cancer, he was admitted to the Stad Hospital in Oct 59 and passed away on Dec 7, 59. I never really knew him I was just over a year old when he died, I always wanted to follow in his footsteps, but I flunked the Forces Medical so I ended up stuck on shore & on the ground...

... I rarely visit SAM (Shearwater Aviation Museum) even though it's only 15 minutes away. Must do something about that -- soon! I have been saying for years I have to get there and I am going to do it the very next time I am in town, as a matter of fact I am adding that to the schedule for my trip down in 2 weeks.

gigabyte
September 6th, 2009, 03:18
Oh Highground22 & all my fellow Bluenosers, not sure if you were aware, there is a very detailed scenery of Stanfield International and Sherwater airports for FSX. You can check out the details at - http://www.simaddons.com/ that is high on my list of add-on's (if I can sneek the purchase past the wife...)

thedude247
September 6th, 2009, 13:59
Oh Highground22 & all my fellow Bluenosers, not sure if you were aware, there is a very detailed scenery of Stanfield International and Sherwater airports for FSX. You can check out the details at - http://www.simaddons.com/ that is high on my list of add-on's (if I can sneek the purchase past the wife...)

And if I had FSX I'd be all over that, but I'm not. Not yet anyways!!!!!

CG_1976
September 6th, 2009, 15:14

I may be in Yellowknife, but thank you:ernae: for the link. This is going on my purchase list. I was always looking for a Halifax for FSX. Pics look real good and ive been following one of the developers at FsDeveloper in the Showroom.

HighGround22
September 6th, 2009, 16:09
. . . not sure if you were aware, there is a very detailed scenery of Stanfield International and Shearwater airports for FSX. You can check out the details at - http://www.simaddons.com/ that is high on my list of add-on's (if I can sneek the purchase past the wife...)
Gig, Mon Vieux! You're a verified Prince of the First Water!! I had no idea that these sceneries existed, but I'm greatly obliged to you for steering me to them!

I immediately ordered the bundle, btw, which isn't too bad at all, when I consider it includes the four airfields, in toto. Moreover, they look good on the screenies, so even if they only look *half* as good in FSX, I'll be one Happy Camper!

Many thanks again, Sir! :medals:

gigabyte
September 6th, 2009, 17:23
And if I had FSX I'd be all over that, but I'm not. Not yet anyways!!!!!

Hey Dude...(I used to say that all the time when I was in high school, guess I never really grew up...lol) there are a couple of good sceneries of CYHZ for FS9, I still have one of them loaded on my spare HDD, I will plug it in and get the author's name and see if I can find where I D/L the file. I suspect it was from AVSim, but I am not sure. I believe I still have the full zip file and if it is permitted by the author I can always send it to you directly if it can't be located online. I'll check mu drive now and post as soon as I can check the Readme in the zip file.

gigabyte
September 6th, 2009, 18:06
OK so I have searched 5 hard drives, and I can't locate my FS9 scenery files, I know I have them on the old box, I mothballed it almost 2 years ago. I have been meaning to power it back up and this gives me the perfect reason, there are a few files on there I want. I will fire up the old puter tomorrow and if she has any life left in her I should be able to locate that FS9 Hfx International scenery - it was created before the renamed CYHZ, but it is very accurate, and as I recall it used all default objects so it was quite frame friendly.

gigabyte
September 6th, 2009, 18:49
For any of you guys that are familiar with the Shearwater Aviation Museum, does anybody have any news on the Fairey Firefly Restoration. I have to say that I haven't been to Shearwater in quite a few years, sad for me I know.

Appreciate any News:applause:

I just took a look at the SAM site, there is a short page on the restoration, and from the picture it looks to be coming along nice, here is the direct link to the page - http://www.shearwateraviationmuseum.ns.ca/exhibits/firefly.htm

thedude247
September 6th, 2009, 18:54
I read in a magazine a few months back (not sure which one, must have been Air and Space or Canadian Aviator) that the restoration was complete and she would be participating in the 100 years of Flight in Canada Celebrations. Not sure where, it was going to be in either Shearwater or Greenwood.

thedude247
September 6th, 2009, 19:11
Found a few older links to sites that people put up a few years back about the early restoration. I just searched the Tail Number, take a look.

http://www.accesswave.ca/~hotwings/page3.html (This is the best Link)
http://www.warbirdregistry.org/fireflyregistry/firefly-pp462.html
http://www.myaviation.net/search/photo_search.php?id=01613866

I've got a few pictures that I took of her back in 2006, but I can't seem to upload them.

mariereid
September 7th, 2009, 04:05
Hmmmm.... Dude, I am working on something right now, but I will go over there and see what I can find out. With my luck, it will be closed when I get there. I will try to take photos.

thedude247
September 7th, 2009, 10:51
SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:applause:

mariereid
September 7th, 2009, 11:24
Hey, Dude; Closed today, Labour Day, they are open tommorrow. Phone message says 10 am, someone picked up and said 9 am. So, if I don't have some kind of disaster, I will be going tommorrow morning. If I cannot figure out how to post photos, I will get your address, and print some up and mail them to ya. Let's hope photos are allowed, if not, I,ll get all the info and phamplets I can for ya.

mariereid
September 8th, 2009, 08:31
Well, I finally made it to the museum. Not too bad at all! Dude, I was talking to the guys working on the Firefly. There is no time limit on the project. They say it is day by day. Things keep popping up, and when it's done, it's done. They plan to start her up in about a month, if all goes well. I took some photos, but I took a telephoto lense, which was useless in there. For some reason my pc will not read the card at the moment.
There are jets from every area, helicopters too. For prop fans there is an avenger, tracker, and a beautiful Swordfish, which is a lot bigger than I ever imagined. There are a lot of books about the aircraft, and navy flying history. I would say if you are ever in town, have a look. There is a lot to see, you could kill a few hours there.
Dude, if you make it up, the guys and a lady too, that are working on it are really nice. They will answer all your questions. They might even let you touch the Firefly!

thedude247
September 8th, 2009, 09:22
Right on, it's been a few years since I was up there. I might have to make a trip up one day, I'm starting a new job in Tantallon next week, that means I'll have to move to Halifax some time before christmas. But I'll certainly make a trip, thanks for the update.

gigabyte
September 8th, 2009, 16:38
Thanks so much for the info mariereid, I am getting all excited now, I have been planning to get there for years and I am making it a MUST HAPPEN this trip. :jump: I have to take a day or so down the Eastern shore to close up the summer place, but I figure Tuesday will be a great day to spend some quality time at Sherwater. The wife doesn't seem to be so excited about the idea, women who can figure them ...lol