PDA

View Full Version : The Florida Exodus has begun!

Lionheart
September 3rd, 2009, 14:26
It seems that the costs of living in Florida combined with the costs of living are exploding to higher realms, so much so that an unheard of exodus of people are leaving the state now due to costs and the recession.

More here;

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20090903/us_time/08599191991600

Bill

Dangerousdave26
September 3rd, 2009, 14:38
Just last month there was an article that sited the fact that 2008 was the first time since 1946 that the state of Florida has lost population.

Last year we lost 58,000 + people.

Good luck to them

I may be following shortly. :kilroy:

I love the place but my job and contract run out the end of this month so I may take the long trek back to the promised land of Ohio.

OK well not until the end of the year so I don't have to pay state income tax. :icon_lol:

Ickie
September 3rd, 2009, 14:47
I went to largo today because of someone moving on saturday to ohio.
I bought a 16 speed drill press floor model 5/8 chuck for $20.00
I like these moving sales

Snuffy
September 3rd, 2009, 14:47
Most of them are illegals that can't find work any more ... :ernae:

Navy Chief
September 3rd, 2009, 15:42
Yup, a lot of Floridians are moving up here to southeast TN. One problem though. They are causing the property taxes here to rise sharply, and the locals "ain't" too happy about it. This is a very depressed area (economically). And has been for a long time; well before the current recession. A copper mine used to fuel the economy here, but it was shut down years ago, and things haven't really recovered. But the rise in property taxes, due to the large influx of Floridians, is hurting folks here.

NC

FAC257
September 3rd, 2009, 17:18
Navy Chief

Most of the ones your seeing move into that area are probably not real Floridians. They are what we call "half-backs". These are the folks who originally moved from up north to retire here in Fla and then because of the very reasons stated in this thread they move back out. But because they don't want to go all the way back up to where they came from they only go part way to the Tenn, NC, SC and the north Georgia area. Thus the name "half-backs".

The same problems that your seeing them cause with the property taxes and then eventually the cost of living, is the very same thing this state has been going through for decades.

To a multi-generational native coastal Floridian like myself and other long time Fla natives I know, a lot of us are actually in some ways glad to see the bubble finally burst down here. It's been far too many years of trying to cram 10 lbs. of do-do in a 5 lb. bag. Finally the do-do has over flowed the bag and is now hitting the fan. Unfortunantly the fan's blowing in your direction.

FAC

Cazzie
September 3rd, 2009, 18:10
Yup, a lot of Floridians are moving up here to southeast TN. One problem though. They are causing the property taxes here to rise sharply, and the locals "ain't" too happy about it. This is a very depressed area (economically). And has been for a long time; well before the current recession. A copper mine used to fuel the economy here, but it was shut down years ago, and things haven't really recovered. But the rise in property taxes, due to the large influx of Floridians, is hurting folks here.

NC

Not to mention, they drive like creeping sloths on the twisty country roads. Send 'em back, taint nothing but generational Yankees and Cubans! :icon_lol:

Lionheart
September 3rd, 2009, 21:40
Phoenix is getting unbearable. If I was wealthy, I would probably move out of here. Photo radar cameras and photo radar cars on every corner, every area of freeway, $400.00 power bill in the summer and 3/4 of the house is shut off, price of water, a sheriff that the FBI is investigating, (not to mention some of his employees)...

Perhaps if I move to Wisconsin, I'll be able to catch Oshkosh... :d

Kiwikat
September 3rd, 2009, 21:53

ROFLMAO, then you'd have to deal with me! :icon_lol: :ernae:

CG_1976
September 3rd, 2009, 22:11
Phoenix is getting unbearable. If I was wealthy, I would probably move out of here. Photo radar cameras and photo radar cars on every corner, every area of freeway, $400.00 power bill in the summer and 3/4 of the house is shut off, price of water, a sheriff that the FBI is investigating, (not to mention some of his employees)...

Watch it lionheart, WI has serious power bills also. I avg a 200.00 in the summer and 400.00 in the winter for a three bedroom I own. Water is cheap in Green Bay but not in Kiwi's Area. My home if your a property owner watch out carpet bagging is going on along with serious foreclosures related to over taxation. I would suggest Upper Michighan.

Kiwikat
September 3rd, 2009, 22:18
Water is cheap in Green Bay but not in Kiwi's Area.

May not be cheap, but Appleton's got the BEST tap water I've ever had.

There is some really AWFUL tap water in surrounding communities though. I wouldn't drink it even if they paid me. :pop4:

You can blame the high electricity costs in my area on my computer. Everyone in the neighborhood is paying to run it. :icon_lol:

On a more serious note, property taxes are pretty bad around here too. We are still amazed at how much the city appraised our house for vs. what the real estate agent said...:isadizzy:

CG_1976
September 3rd, 2009, 22:56
Very true Kiwi. Our Tap is ok in Green Bay, but like you the surrounding communities not serviced by Green Bay's Water Dept taste like high iron. but Appleton does have tasty water. Yep the Property Taxes are killers, but im not selling my home in Green Bay ever. I need my US home. Here is something weird Taxes on property in the North West Territory in Canada is cheaper then Green Bay's.

Lionheart
September 3rd, 2009, 23:10
Well darn... Judging from the scenery at KPLN, then perhaps some place around there (Northern Michigan) would be good... :d

Bill

Allen
September 3rd, 2009, 23:56
Sounds like California. We are look at oregon. California is just like Florida. What a mess...

Chacha
September 4th, 2009, 04:04
Florida tap water tastes really hard to deal with; well in my neighborhood -North of Orlando. I don't drink water from the tap. I just can't, there is a taste like high rust (not iron) :icon_lol:

Used to live in Cali, and my ex is from DC, we met half way to start a family, and I choose Florida, because of its tropical weather. I did not know Florida is one of the worst State to raise a kid, according to survey. One of the best State to raise a kid is VA.

Snuffy
September 4th, 2009, 04:15
The water in FLS has a huge amount of limestone disolved in it as most of the aquafiers are in limestone caves.

Not good for trying to keep a clean house as all this limestone deposit builds up on the faucets and other fixtures. I've been in my house for a little over 3 years now, already I've had to replace all the internals of my toilet because of the limestone.

Forget trying to keep a clean bathroom if you take a hot steamy shower too as the limestone does carry in the steam mist and will lay down a nice fine layer of limestone dust all over everything when the steam evaporates.

Since I've been living in FLA I've been buying bottled water, something I never thought I would ever do.

cheezyflier
September 4th, 2009, 06:41
depending on where you are, va is a really nice state.
however, delaware is close to everywhere, it has farmland, cities, beaches and a good economy. WITH NO SALES TAX.

Henry
September 4th, 2009, 07:40
well i dont drink water period!
it has to be fermented for my consumption :kilroy:
electricity here in the summer is about $500. a month
and lots of mosquitoes
H

Lionheart
September 4th, 2009, 08:54
well i dont drink water period!
it has to be fermented for my consumption :kilroy:
electricity here in the summer is about $500. a month
and lots of mosquitoes
H

LOLOLOL.... Good grief to both of those points!

I have taken the plunge of the 'green' "save the world" odyssee and purchased a Brita water filter thing for the fridge. Big rectangular water tank, filter in the top, 'beer spiggot' thing on the front for dispensing the water. I now buy bottled water mainly for the bottles, as I reuse them and throw them back in the fridge.

My Grandparents lived in Rocky Ford Colorado. Some awesome tap water there, although they lived near a base that was used to pump old WWI bio weapons into the ground, which of course, goes into what? They had some odd ailments, unfortunately.

Only makes sense to send really bad pollution into the sun for proper disposal...

Willy
September 4th, 2009, 09:16
Things are pretty cheap here in Western Tennessee, but then jobs are scarce too. I average about $225 a month in the summer for electricity with that going down to about $100 in the winter. No state income tax either. Our lame duck Governor did his best to start one, but the legislature wouldn't go along with it as they wanted to be re-elected.

Having moved here from my native Arkansas, I love it here.

safn1949
September 4th, 2009, 10:10
I spent 10 years in West Virginia,I loved living there but it was really hard to find a good job,so now I am in Minnesota.

From here it's on to Alaska in 2012 or so,my advantage is I don't care to own property so no school or property taxes for me.And no car payments or kids or expensive wives.......:guinness:

Navy Chief
September 4th, 2009, 11:44
Navy Chief

Most of the ones your seeing move into that area are probably not real Floridians. They are what we call "half-backs". These are the folks who originally moved from up north to retire here in Fla and then because of the very reasons stated in this thread they move back out. But because they don't want to go all the way back up to where they came from they only go part way to the Tenn, NC, SC and the north Georgia area. Thus the name "half-backs". FAC

Exactly. Most of them are from either NY or NJ. Easy to tell once they start talking.......And I must add that they often have somewhat of an "attitude".

NC

WND
September 5th, 2009, 00:16
WELL, I'd have to say I'm one of those "Transplants" from up north!!! I'm not a true Floridian - I still don't wear a sweater / jacket below 70 degrees!!!!!!! lol

Moved down here to Florida from New Hampshire almost 6 years ago - got tired of shoveling the white stuff!!! I too drink bottled water - don't like the taste of the local stuff!!

I do have to say that I do have a good job which I've had since 2 months after moving here however I've come to the conclusion that it's not any cheaper to live down here than it was up north!! Along with that, I also find that the pay scales are insulting!!!! After 5 years I'm still not near what I made up north - just have to work more hours!!

It's sad when you work most of your life to reach a certain plateau - and you decide to move thinking it's for the better - and you apply for jobs and the only response you get is "your over qualified and this is all we can pay you" - kinda of makes you second guess why the hell you moved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of my brothers has been trying to get me to move up to North Carolina however with the current state of affairs (that we're all experiencing), I can't even afford to think about that!!!! lol

On the plus side, I don't miss the extreme cold, I don't miss the white stuff, I like the fact that I can go outside in November / December / January / February / March and mow the grass or wash the car, and I'm still a Patriots / Red Socks / Celtics / Bruins fan!!!!

Bill

JoeW
September 5th, 2009, 07:09
I lived on Pensacola beach in the 70's for about 4 years. I never got over the Labor day exodus. Sunday before the day, people would be all over, in the parking lots, the stores, on the beach just all over ......
Monday morning, Labor Day ........ Not a car in sight, no body in the parking lots, stores deserted..... only the residents were there...... Everybody just vanished overnight!

Navy Chief
September 5th, 2009, 08:15
I lived on Pensacola beach in the 70's for about 4 years. I never got over the Labor day exodus. Sunday before the day, people would be all over, in the parking lots, the stores, on the beach just all over ......
Monday morning, Labor Day ........ Not a car in sight, no body in the parking lots, stores deserted..... only the residents were there...... Everybody just vanished overnight!

I loved living in Pensacola from 1990-1993. Nice place. Changed a lot since then; or at least NAS has, due to the influx from when BRAC shut down the aviation maintenance training at Millington. But I will say they did a nice job of constructing the schools at Pensacola.

And I drive down to NAS Pensacola just to see the museum at least once a year.

NC

AckAck
September 5th, 2009, 08:53
Detroit could probably use some people ... apparently no housing shortages up there, anyway.:wiggle:

Brian

Willy
September 5th, 2009, 12:14
I've lived in Pensacola twice. 1976-78 and 1983-85. Went back for a visit in 91 and it had changed a bunch. I probably wouldn't recognize it now.

Navy Chief
September 5th, 2009, 12:28
P'Cola had considerable hurricane damage a couple years back. The down turn in the economy didn't help one bit.

NC

Cazzie
September 5th, 2009, 14:41
Detroit could probably use some people ... apparently no housing shortages up there, anyway.:wiggle:

Brian

If you don't mind living in an American Beirut! :icon_lol:

Caz

p14u2nv
September 6th, 2009, 17:21
I am concerned about this carbon tax Obama is about to lay on the coal fired plants vs. our electric bills. He said that these carbon fines will bankrupt the coal fired electrical industry! Is this guy out of his mind?

And property taxes here in NY are ridiculous, $9,000+ last year. I lived in NC for 25 years and my last property tax bill was less than $1,000. And excellent well water too come to think of it.

Maybe we can all find an island somewhere with our own electrical grid and the only property owners association rule would be you must own a flight simulator pc and use it regularly!

Cazzie
September 7th, 2009, 04:10
I am concerned about this carbon tax Obama is about to lay on the coal fired plants vs. our electric bills. He said that these carbon fines will bankrupt the coal fired electrical industry! Is this guy out of his mind?

For me to reply on this would force Willy to close the thread, so I shall not. Let's just say peed off and leave it at that.

Caz

Drake
September 8th, 2009, 00:05
Don't get me started on the job market in Florida.