PDA

View Full Version : Scenegenx Problems

jhh48
September 3rd, 2009, 05:54
Just got a new computer and installed Windows XP Pro SP2 (lost my old copy of Windows XP Pro SP1 and had to buy a new one!). Installed Scenegenx and it don't work! When opening the program the small rectangular title window flashes up, disappears and nothing else happens. I'm GUTTED! It worked fine on the old computer on XP Pro SP1. Have they done something stupid with SP2 or am I missing something?
DETAILS:
SceneGenX Build 103
Windows XP Professional SP2
4Gb RAM
AMD Athlon x64 +5600

Alain_F355
September 3rd, 2009, 07:45
You are probably missing a file you had installed on your old rig. I never used this program but I read it uses MSXML maybe you do not have the right version now.

ian elliot
September 3rd, 2009, 08:15
I use Scenegenx myself, and every time i reinstall, there are problems, like Alain says, it needs a few MSXML files, usurally, it will tell you which ones in a warning box but try looking in the read-me, i belive there's a support web-site aswell, but i dont have the addy handy as i havent got the program installed at the moment.
cheers ian

jhh48
September 3rd, 2009, 11:14
Thanks to you both. Tried re-installing MSXML, but still got the same problem. Maybe I should have a slightly older version of MSXML? Have contacted sgx support, but any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated since I'm lost with out sgx.

Found a forum where the problem was described. Tried their solution bu no joy! I can stop the title screen disappearing and it comes with an error message "Error in ClearSceneGenXRegistry; 0" which when you click "OK" the title screen disappears and nothing else happens.

The email I sent to sgx support was returned by the mailbox provider. Checking out the profile of the sgx designer, Tom Hiscox, in another forum he hasn't had any activity since last year. I hope nothings happened to him:(

srgalahad
September 3rd, 2009, 16:07
If I remember when I last set up SGX I had to fiddle with the MSXML versions. By default I believe Windows only installs what it thinks is required and that's often not previous versions, but the note below indicates some newer ones are not replacements...

MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2 (Microsoft XML Core Services) (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=3144b72b-b4f2-46da-b4b6-c5d7485f2b42) MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2 (SP2) is a complete replacement of MSXML 4.0 and MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 1 (SP1). MSXML 4.0 SP2 provides a number of security and bug fixes. MSXML 4.0 SP2 does not replace MSXML 3.0.

Also, there have been numerous updates and patches for MSXML and some may cause problems...
Hotfix for Microsoft XML 3.0 Service Pack 4 - KB832414 (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=0031ba5d-7b07-4872-b7a7-6bbd384ba8e9) This update contains Microsoft XML (MSXML) functionality that will allow applications using MSXML to continue to function correctly after security update 832894, Security Update for Internet Explorer, has been applied.

Comments I've seen seem to indicate MSXML4 is the magic one but they are all vague.

a link for MSXML4 is here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=3144B72B-B4F2-46DA-B4B6-C5D7485F2B42
but I'm not sure if it has all the updates required...

Tom's old homepage has been gone for a while and I haven't seen anything from him lately either. Now that there are so many other programs out for FS9 & FSX it's getting tough to find one do-all solution - I really got comfortable with SGX.

I had some compile issues with SGX and had to set aside all of my projects. maybe this winter (haha)

Rob

jhh48
September 5th, 2009, 12:22
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, all seem to point me towards MSXML.
So I trotted off to Add/Remove Programs and removed the ruddy lot!! MSXML 4.0 & 6.0!
And now SGX seems to be working fine! Thought I was going to loose a lot of time and effort in the projects. Also thought that SGX required MSXML to work???
Still, I'll probably come to it tomorrow and it won't work again or nothing else on the machine will! :icon_lol:

Thanks everyone:icon29:

Justin