PDA

View Full Version : 64 Bit OS and FS9 - does it work?

edmoore235
September 1st, 2009, 05:53
Any one know if a 64 Bit OS will work with FS9 or FS X? My first guess is no but I may be uninformed (smile). Thanks in advance.
E

WuhWuzDat
September 1st, 2009, 06:19
XP 64 actually works quite well with FS9, and FSX.

Jeff

Txmmy83
September 1st, 2009, 06:22
on vista 64bit FS9 will work perfect but many addons will not because of their installer which often did not support the 64bit

hope that is enough info!

BR
Tom

Ascua02
September 1st, 2009, 07:10
XP 64 running FS9 no problemo, but hicup with some of the addons as stated before :wavey:

edmoore235
September 1st, 2009, 12:16
Great infomation. Thank you one and all. Take care. Will be aware now of addon problems - not a problem. GRIN.

Ed :ernae:

srgalahad
September 1st, 2009, 12:36
I installed FS9 on my new Vi64/home machine and had no problems at all. I try to avoid built-in installers when I can. So far (6 months) I've had no FS issues that I can attribute to the OS except an inability to find a screenshot program that will work in full-screen mode.
FS is NOT installed to the C:\program files folder ( it's on a seperate physical drive) and , of course, UAC is OFF.

edmoore235
September 1st, 2009, 14:09
UAC off? What is UAC? It seems that Vista 64 OS will be my choice not Windows 7 64bit. Thanks in advance.

Ed:icon_lol:

srgalahad
September 1st, 2009, 14:21
User Account Control. One of Microsoft's brilliant security ideas.
help for it can be found in the Windows Help and it's switched on/off in a section of the Windows control panel (on by default).
probably one of the reasons I've been fortunate is that I plotted the route ahead of time
1. reconfigured the base drive, adding a twin and setting up RAID
2. installed the OS without all the "extra" bits, toys and tools
3. configured the drivers and made sure they worked
4. installed a new, clean 3rd drive to hold FS - it doesn't have to be huge but should be fast.
5. installed FS before any other programs, configured the drivers to fit and tested for a week before any other steps.
6. installed a browser (FF) and have rigorously maintained a clean system
7. after 3 months installed Office and a few other bits to make life easier.
-- oh, and you should make regular backups along the way... I use Acronis True Image to make an image of the drive before every change.
Being careful and planning takes a bit more time before getting FS running but it's been a blessing in the long run.

edmoore235
September 1st, 2009, 16:17
Thanks for the info on UAC. Very clear. Great advice. Browser FF? Foxfire, not sure. Is it better then MS explorer?

Ed :jump:

Smokey Joe
September 1st, 2009, 17:58
Any one know if a 64 Bit OS will work with FS9 or FS X? My first guess is no but I may be uninformed (smile). Thanks in advance.
E

I have FS9 running on Vista 64 Home Premium and it works just fine. Oddly, I'm running FSX on XP 32, but the computer is a lot more powerful.

edmoore235
September 1st, 2009, 19:35
Thanks Joe. Take care.
Ed :jump: